Tahawus road & car issues

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably have to hammer the bar in pretty deep; it might take several tries to find a spot where you can get deep enough. You'd be concentrating large forces in the relatively small area of the bar, and blacktop isn't very strong in shear. Depending on the pavement material, I'm taking a wild guess you would need the bar at least 2-3 feet into the road. If it's a dirt or gravel road, it would probably have to be deeper.

you can thank my knee for acting up, thats what made us turn around from the santas and go out early. Glad to have met and helped!

I think you would have gotten out eventually, you had done alot of digging already.

thanks again guys!!!!!!

At the minimum carry a tow strap. That way when someone comes along and offers to pull you out, at least one of you has a strap.

BTW, The use of chains as towing devices is discouraged because of the potential for exceeding the rated capacity of the chain.

After getting stuck on a logging road near Pillsbury Mtn. a couple years ago, I bought a nylon webbing tow strap. It came in handy last April when I got stuck in a soft spot while trying to drive up into the Santanoni TH parking area at Upper Works (do not attempt this in the spring). A ranger was there and pulled me out.

Tahawas lonliness

A few years ago, after doing Allen as a winter day trip, I stuffed my car into the snow while failing to make the turn at the junction near the mine. Took me two hours digging with a snowshovel to get my car out, while on empty and dehydrated, at night. Every since then, I religiously carry in my trunk a one ton comealong, 100 feet of nylon rope, a shovel, and a container of sand. Ahhh, the learning experiences...
Getting stuck at Upper Works and/or getting back to the car to discover I left the dome light on and drained the battery are among my worst fears, so, it's a good thing to be prepared, eh?
John

Every since then, I religiously carry in my trunk a one ton comealong, 100 feet of nylon rope, a shovel, and a container of sand.
You might want to check the nylon rope: many nylon ropes are very stretchy (think big rubber band...). You want a non-stretch rope/towing strap for towing or winching. Nautical dacron ropes intentionally stretch far less.

Climbers use stretchy ropes for leading (to reduce the forces when catching a fall), but non-stretch ropes and webbing for slings and static ropes. You might be able to find something suitable at a climbing store.

Don't forget the jumper cables, preferably longer than your car.

Doug