The Chronology of Spring Flowers

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Help requested on wildflower ID

Hi! I've greatly enjoyed seeing everyone's incredible photos. I'm just starting to get into wildflower photography this spring. It keeps my mind off the bugs! :p

Can anyone give me a hint on this flower? I've been through every link given in this thread looking at all the pictures and haven't found anything even close. Help would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_0926_cropped.jpg

thanks much!
Valerie

That's a Canada mayflower - Maianthemum canadense

Edit: for those looking to get into identifying local wildflowers, you can't do better than buying a Newcomb's Wildflower Guide (my humble opinion).

Last edited:
audrey said:
That's a Canada mayflower - Maianthemum canadense

Edit: for those looking to get into identifying local wildflowers, you can't do better than buying a Newcomb's Wildflower Guide (my humble opinion).

aka 'false lily of the valley'

Nice shot of it as well!

Thanks for the quick reply

Audrey and w7xman, thank you for the quick reply and the note on the guide to purchase! I'm going to check it out right away!

Two Wildflower hikes...

Tuesday (5th) I went up the red ridge trail on the Moats to look for Rhodora, but unfortunately, it was all knocked down by the remnants of Barry during the weekend. There were lots of ladyslippers up there, and otherwise, not much in the way of wildflowers.

Wednesday I turned to the alpine flowers. The alpine garden itself is just starting, especially on the north end and near lion head. I then cut across and stayed the night at lakes, where monroe flats was in full bloom. I was all set for sunrise shots, but awoke to heavy rime ice, thick fog, and strong winds at the hut. I did take a few shots of the flowers all iced up, but no strong landscape shots as planned.

I'll hope the alpine garden trail is near peak sunday when I plan to return....

Visited Monroe Flats on Sunday 6-10-07. Flowers were excellent.

Diapensia
file.jpg

Dwarf Cinquefoil
file.jpg

A handful more here.

I won't even try to ask where you found that cinquefoil, but I think I'll head up there and go looking!

Years ago, I was staying at Lakes, and Dave Thurlow from the Observatory was the featured speaker. The subject came up, I begged him to show me, and at 5 am the next morning we walked about 100 feet from the hut and there was the cinquefoil. I told him I could die happy then but am sure glad I didn't.

Back then, the sentiment was that these little plants could go extinct soon and that reproducing them by seeds wasn't possible.

Last edited:

white mountain-saxifrage (Saxifraga paniculata)
The common name is a mountain-saxifrage that is white and has nothing to do with our local mountains; there is also a purple mountain-saxifrage and a yellow mountain-saxifrage. Photo taken in an undisclosed location.

This and a few pictures from other undisclosed locations that I've posted in the past, are brought to you by the letters NEWFS which sponsors plant surveys. I'll put in a plug for their PCV program -- if you're into botany & know enough to perceive some of the differences between various kinds of plants (never mind ID'ing, that comes with practice & effort), consider signing up.

We saw a small patch of Twinflowers along the Wilderness trail on Saturday 6-23-07.

file.jpg