The Chronology of Spring Flowers

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
w7xman said:
No Lady slippers of Rhodora yet...looking forward to the first alerts to that in the whites...

The first ladyslippers are blooming in my back yard. Most haven't got the flower even showing yet -- just outside Manchester, NH.

Tim

I saw some first Rhodora tuesday in Tamworth and Chocorua, sparse, but there none the less! I drove out to my favorite Rhodora spot along the kank, but it apparantly burned at some point, and is there no more!!!!

Does anyone know where I can get some either low or high elevation Rhodora shots???

Still no lady slippers, but my exifs from where I found them last year (Howker Ridge Trail) are from May 29th... Still tons of painted trillium and a few red trilliums, as well as wood anemonies in Pinkham notch as well Wednesday

arghman said:
yeah, on the Owl's Head slide. But that's probably not worth heading to just for the rhodora. :p

I don't mind a hike, but that may be asking a bit much...good to know though!

Anyone else willing to divulge the secrets of this flower?

ok, I'll quit being facetious, rhodora's not rare.

I've seen it in bloom at the stream crossing to the Hancocks, in the Eisenhower-Pierce col, and in fruit (sort of a dull red/brown/purple tubular thing about 1/2" long) on the trail up South Baldface and the Owls Head slide.

Also common at most bogs/fens in NH.

w7xman said:
Does anyone know where I can get some either low or high elevation Rhodora shots?

A favorite of mine is First and Middle Sisters of Chocorua, tons of rhodora. Here's a shot from many years ago, when I first started shooting with film.

99740.jpg

Also recommended is the ridge from South to Middle Moat Mts.

Happy Trails :)

rhodora

Took some nice Rhodora shots a few years back at the brook crossing above Zealand Hut heading towards Zeacliff. Ofcourse a hike up to Zeacliff this time of year would be fantastic, as we all know, such as witnessing the gradual ascention of new leaves, and travelling through beaver country in spring.

rhodora

my favorite rhodora: on the first ledges (ascending) the Ammonoosuc, with the cascades in the background. Might be a tad late this spring.

a grand day out

I had a glorious day in the southern Presis today. The showy alpine plants are just starting to bloom, & some of the obscure early ones are still around.

white = diapensia (Diapensia lapponica)
pink = alpine azalea (Loiseleuria procumbens)
purple = Lapland rosebay (Rhododendron lapponicum)

bearberry willow (Salix uva-ursi), left=pistillate (female) flowers, right=staminate (male) flowers w/ yellow pollen

alpine bearberry (Arctostaphylos alpina). It is essentially impossible to find this plant this time of year, unless you already know where it is. Very uncommon in the Presis, rather rare in fact. Flowers will probably be gone within a week, by which time the leaves should be fully out.

purple crowberry (Empetrum atropurpureum). Very small inconspicuous flowers w/o petals or sepals. They seem to be mostly gone already; these are one of the earliest flowering alpines.

arghman said:
I had a glorious day in the southern Presis today. The showy alpine plants are just starting to bloom, & some of the obscure early ones are still around.

WOW! Those are some great finds! Nice shots too...seems a few days early for the diapensia, but then again, I only know the chronology of the east side of washington. Last year, I didn't see any until the 30th...

Thanks for posting!

arghman, excellent post! :D Especially the bearberry willow pics and info.

Jim, the rhodora is fully bloomed along the Kancamagus and just starting to open on the summits of The Sisters.

Hobblebush is now exploding.

TR to Mt. Chocorua is forthcoming.

Happy Trails :)

The Underwood and Four Soldiers Paths/Trails in the Crescent Range are a carpet of Claytonia and Trout Lillies. Dutchmans Breeches in full bloom near the bottom of the former. Lots of other varieties in bloom, too. Really spectacular!

Nothing amazing like arghmans post (great pics, you to forestnome!), but yesterday there were a half dozen or so pink ladyslippers along the Wentworth Tr. up Mt. Israel. Specificaly where the trail runs parallel to a brook for a couple hundred yards.

Nothing that hasn't been posted already, but I was surprised to find these less than a mile from the Boston town line, in a high-use area. I almost rode my bike over the one on the left. (Today, Memorial Day)

arghman said:
yeah, on the Owl's Head slide. But that's probably not worth heading to just for the rhodora. :p

I was up the Owls Head slide today, there is indeed lots and lots of rhodora blooming.

On Wednesday (May 30th), the Diapensia were just coming into their own on the north side of Eisenhower and were approaching peak on the south side. Alpine Azalea and Lapland Rosebay were profuse on south side and on Crawford Path toward Pierce. Some nice Diapensia on Pierce. Not much in the bogs between Mispah and Jackson yet, although the Cloudberry blooms were very nice. Usual suspects in the woods.

Ladyslippers and plans...

First off, thanks all for the tips on the Rhodora. I know it's not rare, I just have difficulty photographing it, and I really like the wildflower!

I found both the Ladyslippers and Rhodora in bloom along the kank yesterday. I spent some time at the Rhodora, and STILL can't seem to get a good shot...

I hope to hike either the Moats or the Baldfaces Sunday or Monday for an bivy weather permitting to get a sunrise/sunset over the Rhodora. If anyone hikes these this weekend, please report about blooms!

After that, I'll be in the alpine garden/crawford paths for an intensive on the tundra...

Here's the ladyslipper yesterday...
IMG_1017esmjs-vi.jpg

IMG_1100esmjs-vi.jpg

Rhodora when I'm happy with a shot :)

Last edited:
Jim ...

MWSP headed up the Road this morning and a little later called Tollhouse to say there was a good showing of diapensia, Lapland Rosebay and other usual suspects in their usual places roadside just above treeline. I'm sure you know the spots. By Cow Pasture it was eyes to the road for Mike and Diane and no views to either side.

( be prepared for shift change this week, paving happened 400-500 feet below Hairpin, drivers and road crew are all still coping with the changed landmarks... its jarring to have the landmarks move)

coming soon! Alpine Garden!

Awesome pics of the lady-slippers, BTW.

Just as a fluff/personal thing, I have a painting (in acrylics) done in 1992 by my Mom, just a couple years before Alzheimer's ended her painting. It totally blows me away how she captured the shimmering essence of a small colony of pink LS on the dark forest floor, just as they begin the shift from vivid pink to pale. It is a treasure for me.

Breeze