The end of a long journey

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just tripped over this thread--I had no idea you had been going through that. A hearty congratulations for all of your hard work getting back into shape. So wonderful to see you out at it again! :D

I just came across this thread, too, and am glad to hear you are out there, enjoying our hill country again. Those who don't hike can't understand the pull, those of us who do, like you and our friends here, continue to hear the call and know that the effort is worthwhile. I expect our paths will cross again before too long. Best wishes to you.

Progress report

On the first of this month I climbed Mt. Pierce. I had been progressing regularly for three weeks, and unrealistically hoped to continue at the same rate. Instead I hit a plateau ... something I should have expected but did not. Still, I continued hiking, building a base for the next stage without realizing it.

Last Wednesday (8/19) I decided to increase the distance without increasing the elevation gain. I did the Osseo Trail to the downlook, my usual 2,300 foot climb but this time with 4.6 miles each way. It went well, and on Sunday (8/23) I returned to the Osseo Trail with a friend and reached the summit. The last 500 feet of elevation gain are steep, and I was crawling up ... but I got to the top:

P1000221.JPG

Today I decided to try something much steeper, Liberty by Liberty Spring Trail. Clearly the last few weeks of effort had their effect. Not only did I reach the summit without being exhausted, I actually beat book time by a bit over 15 minutes :) :)

Not only that, but for the first time in God knows how long there were actually views from the top!!!!

P1000229.JPG

I paid for the rapid (for me) ascent on the way down ... slow and painful. A half bottle of champagne after the trip cured all my aches.

Life is good.

Last edited:
Wow! Mohamed! What a GREAT thing to hear!! Me?, I get a little knee pain and all I want to do is sit around and wait for it to feel better. It certainly doesn't sound like you have that "lay down and just die" attitude! I've seen a lot of my elders give up and succomb to their ailments. Sad thing is that they appear much older than they are because of them. It's fantastic to hear that you are still getting out there and doing what you love! Keep on keepin' on!!

IM glad your getting out, though Ive never met you, we share the same passion. The mountains have healing qualities and I hope they help you along, dont give up, just keep going up and I wish well in your jouney.
God Bless

Mohamed, I'm happy to read that you're back on the trail. I use your web site as a reference and trip planning guide all the time. Thank you for posting all of that information in such a concise and readable, usable form.
I'm very glad you were able to find a physical therapist who worked with you to reach your goals, not some preconceived idea of what your goal should be. My wife recently had some PT, and when the therapist asked what activities caused pain and what she level of performance she wanted, the first response was "there are less challenging hikes, you know". I'm sure you had something like that conversation and I'm glad you were able to work the therapist around to your way of thinking.
I hope you keep showing us how it's done for a long time to come.

I'm very glad you were able to find a physical therapist who worked with you to reach your goals, not some preconceived idea of what your goal should be. My wife recently had some PT, and when the therapist asked what activities caused pain and what she level of performance she wanted, the first response was "there are less challenging hikes, you know". I'm sure you had something like that conversation and I'm glad you were able to work the therapist around to your way of thinking.
Shoes,

I was luckier than your wife.

In spite of my age both the surgeon and the therapist were encouraging me to do as much as I was able to do.

When I saw the surgeon three months after surgery and got permission to start hiking again I promised him that I would send him a photo of me on top of Mount Washington before the end of summer. He said he was looking forward to it.

Not quite there yet, biggest vertical to date was Moosilauke by Glencliff Trail (3,300 feet). If I "cheat" and do Washington from the west (Ammo/Jewell) it is only 3,800 feet ... if I do it the respectable way from Pinkham it is a more challenging 4,250 feet.

Glad you are back Mohamed. I hope you will leading lots of AMC hikes soon.
Your contribution to the hiking community is deeply appreciated including the great peakbagging site you created. (I had your notes in my pack when I did my Presi Traverse on Sunday!)

... if I do it the respectable way from Pinkham it is a more challenging 4,250 feet.

Holy cow! I was hoping that I could forget about respectable once I reached 70! :D

Great to see that everything has turned for the better, Mo. My mom (then mid-80's/now 90) was diagnosed with SS. Spinal injections helped her considerably.

Agree with Audrey - we should get together again. I've been in your area several times (including a couple weeks ago) thinking it's been a bit too long!!!

This is a great thread. Mohamed you set a high standard for others to follow. I look forward to seeing the Mt. Washington pics.