The end of a long journey

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bit off more than I could chew

So over the last ten weeks I increased the weights on my ankles in the strengthening exercises, increased the distance and steepness of my walks, and added StairMaster as I felt that walking was rather different from hiking.
On Thursday I felt pretty good about my preparation, sending this email to a friend with whom I planned to do The Moose by Gorge Brook on Sunday (tomorrow):
I have been doing substantial uphill road walks (Tripoli Road, Russell Pond Road, Hubbard Brooks Forest) with 10-12 miles and up to 2,000 feet of elevation gain. True, these were done on good roads, with sneakers and no pack, and with gradients less steep than even easy 4Ks. Still, 10 miles and 2,000 feet of elevation gain is not the same as strolling along the Charles!
Alas, I did not realize that 10 miles and 2,000 feet on a good road is emphatically not the same as doing an easy 4K :eek:

The easiest 4K is probably Osceola (3.2 miles, 2,050 feet) but the footing is very rough. I was thinking of Pierce (3.2 miles and 2,400 feet), with easy grades and decent footing. Steve Smith suggested Hale by the Firewarden's Trail for even better footing, but given the good forecast for yesterday I wanted a summit with views. So I drove towards Crawford Notch with the intention of doing Pierce.

As I drove along 302 I saw Ike's lovely round bald head. It's only 300 more feet than Pierce, I thought. So off to the Edmands trailhead I went.

Five minutes on the trail (almost flat with excellent footing for a trail at the start) I realized my mistake. The footing was excellent for a trail, but very different from the roads I had been walking on for the past three months. Then, of course, the trail got a bit steeper and rougher.

For the first half hour or so I was uncomfortable on the rough trail. Then my body remembered that it knew how to hike, and for the next hour or so I was back in the groove. After some time, though, the unaccustomed effort started taking its toll. By the time I reached the junction with the Mount Eisenhower Loop I was tired, and one look at the steep climb up the summit cone persuaded me to call it a day.

So far it had not been too bad; I reached the junction in 2:39, book time is 2:40 :eek: I had lunch and started down.

It was on the way down that I paid for my over-ambitious choice of trip; 2:30 to do 2.9 miles :( :(

The bad news is that I may be old enough to know better, but that in point of fact I don't. The good news is that I did no harm to myself, and was able to climb 2,400 feet of trail. I had friend staying with me for the weekend, and found it fully appropriate to drink the champagne I had bought in anticipation of a successful hike. I am back hiking!

Today I will do some PT and StairMaster. Tomorrow I will do a more appropriate hike: Mount Pemi by the easier of the two trails, from the Flume. 1.8 miles each way with 1,250 feet of elevation gain. The hike, in fact, that I should have done yesterday had I used my brain.

Glad to hear you're recovering.

You're lucky you're so young, I know someone who just developed your exact prior symptoms who is 10 years older. They can't have the steroid shots because of a conflict with heart medicine, similarly operation is out. Any advice on how to live with it?

You earned that champagne!
What you accomplished is 5 hours and 9 minutes of hiking over 5.8 miles you couldn't do a month ago! So you didn't get to the top THIS time. You will the next. Congratulations!

You're lucky you're so young, I know someone who just developed your exact prior symptoms who is 10 years older. They can't have the steroid shots because of a conflict with heart medicine, similarly operation is out. Any advice on how to live with it?
No really useful advice, I fear. Physical therapy and appropriate pain meds seem to be the only options.

Many thanks to all for your support :)
Washington via Great Gulf? Jefferson via Six Husbands?

My PT thinks I'll be writing trip reports from the mountains in 2010 and I'm holding him (and me) to it!:D
On Thursday I promised my doctor that, before the end of this summer, I would send him a picture of me on top of Mount Washington. A loop up Six Husbands and down Great Gulf seems like a neat idea, but for some reason I suspect that up the Ammo and down Jewell is more likely ;)

You earned that champagne!
So you didn't get to the top THIS time.
No doubt in my mind that I earned the champagne. :)

The problem was not that I failed to reach the top ... on the way down I was wondering whether I would ever reach my car :eek:

Mohammed, your next real hike is the end of a long side trip, and the beginning of a new journey for you.
Grumpy, I love the "side trip" analogy, thank you. And rather than beginning a new journey, I prefer to think of resuming an interrupted one.

From yesterday's hike it is obvious that the side trip is not yet over ...

Mohamed,

Congrats on the recovery.

However, be careful about rushing back to the hills too quickly--it can take quite a while to rebuild those deconditioned muscles, ligaments, and joints. You may recall that I hiked Garfield last summer. (I prepared by local hill walks with weight on my back and several gradually harder hikes with a week or so of rest in between.) The legs felt ok on Garfield, but they took 2 weeks to recover. I did one more hike (Mt Caribou) and again the legs felt ok on the hike but shortly afterwards overtraining hit me like a truck--it was so bad that I had difficultly simply walking down stairs.

Perhaps I am more prone to overtraining than others, but I might have been able to avoid it if I had taken more time to return to the hills.

FWIW, courtesy of a couple more cycles of recovery and overtraining, I still can't hike, two and a half years after the original injury (and one and a half years since my last PT).

Just don't want you to follow my lead...

Doug

Mohammed,
Sorry to hear about this temporary challenge you are overcoming. I wish you all the best in your recovery. With your determination and new respect for the patience required in your recovery, you'll be doing "real" 4K's soon. Look forward to running into you toddling around the mountains.
Harry

... and new respect for the patience required in your recovery ...
Harry,

I learned to respect the patience needed the hard way. I met with two good friends on Friday evening (after the "unwise" Edmands path hike) and we all agreed that I had been a damned fool. You folks are too charitable.

Tomorrow I will do a more appropriate hike: Mount Pemi by the easier of the two trails, from the Flume. 1.8 miles each way with 1,250 feet of elevation gain. The hike, in fact, that I should have done yesterday had I used my brain.
Did it today, and let us say that I enjoyed it a lot more than Friday's hike. Will repeat it until I am comfortable, then escalate to doing Mt. Pemi from the other side, 1.9 miles and 1,550 feet. Repeat gradual escalation until I am hiking respectable mountains.

Mount Pemi

Mo, I happened to do Mt. Pemi via the Indian Head Trail this afternoon. What a muddy mess! Of course it did rain pretty good last night, but then the WMG says that trail tends to be wet anyway. Still, a nice day to be up there.

I'm thinking you are being a touch hard on yourself. I can only hope I can be of similar service you have been to New Hampshire tourism and the New England hiking community as I reach your age. I have thought fondily of the day, I spent hiking with you and hope you can achieve your goals for the future. Hike your own hike, heal right, and become healthy. Best wishes! :)

Sincerley,
John

Mohamed,

Keep getting out there and keep up the fight.
Your trip reports and website were inspirations for me when I was first starting to hike almost 10 years ago. I continue to refer to your website as I am sure many other hikers do as well.
I hope to run into you on the trails!

My first 4K!

For the past three weeks I have been doing progressively more demanding hikes. I started with Mt. Pemi from the Flume (1,200 feet), then Mt. Pemi from Rt. 3 (1,550 feet) and finally West Tecumseh from Tripoli Road (1,900 feet on a very smooth trail).

Yesterday a friend was visiting, and we agreed to do Mt. Pierce together, after which I would descend while she continued to Mt. Eisenhower. Mt. Pierce is a 2,400 foot climb, with rougher footing than West Tecumseh.

A picture is worth 1,000 words:

P1000082.JPG

Summit of Pierce, 8/1/2009​

Last edited:
Congratulations!!

My first "hike" after major surgery 2 years ago was Zealand Falls hut. I felt as if I had been reborn! There really is life after a major set-back.

See you on the trails.

That's great Mohammed!

I am so glad to read of your steady recovery. Very good news, and keep it up.

I'm sure you don't remember me but I was on an AMC trip with you on Cabot-- a winter hike and I think my first winter 4000 footer. It was so long ago--Feb 99--that we could still park in that farmer's lane, rather than drive all the way to Berlin. In any case I remember how passionate you were about hiking then. I always go to your earthlink trail page first to get the basics on particular hikes.

Thanks for your continued inspiration in lots of ways!

Best,

Carla

Congrats!

Long ago I broke my leg in a motorcycle accident and spent roughly 10 months in a cast. I remember how hard it was and how much time it took to be able to again do the things that I took for granted before the injury.

Congratulations on conquering Pierce - and your injury.

Steve