The Evolution of GEAR

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skiguy

Reaction score
Man is it nasty out there today. After coming back from an appointment today where even going to the grocery store would be an expedition and reading Giggy’s thread with the guy in the jeans on Mt. Hood I got to thinking about how far gear has come.Also how good and the right gear can make a difference on a day like today. I know there are a lot of you out there that have evolved with Gear and all it’s changes (OK the folks still using Wool Knickers I mean no offense) ; but what do you think has made the most single biggest contribution to Gear in the last thirty years? Would it be the onset of polypro underware, breathable/waterproof fabrics, plastic boots or some other coveted invention.
What are your thoughts? What newer piece of gear that you have could you just not do without?

Waterproof, breathable laminates. AKA Gore-Tex

Actually, I'm looking to get a pair of wool knickers. :D Unfortunately, if I do, my wife says she will no longer hike with me. :mad:

I'm not certain which piece of gear I can do without. I will wait for others to chime in.

Just about the only thing I REALLY couldn't do without is a fancy new-fangled pack to carry all the rest of the stuff that I could likely manage without.

I had a big thrill when I got my first pack big enough for overnights that had a... padded waist belt. It was an external frame Kelty.

I dread to think of how uncomfortable it would be compared to the packs I have now! Nevermind its unpadded predecessor. <shudder>

MadRiver said:
Actually, I'm looking to get a pair of wool knickers. :D Unfortunately, if I do, my wife says she will no longer hike with me. :mad:

I'm not certain which piece of gear I can do without. I will wait for others to chime in.

You can have mine and my rag wool knee socks. Order in the next five minutes and I will throw in green wool Johnson Mill Pants. Originally all of this would cost $65 order now and I willpay you to take it. And I will thow in a pamphlet on removing clister stains.

Seriously, to answer the question....Spare time. without it we would not have recreation. Nobody needs to grow or raise thier own food anymore.

I would rank the backpack hipbelt pretty high up there.

Synthetic fabrics would be tops.

hmm - I would have to say the waterproof/windproof stuff -

I find staying dry and keeping the wind out can really help.

and- that pic from hood was from 2005!

soft shell and wet/rib

softshell pants and jacket-top of my list
and my wet/rib, the best invention yet!

Reactions: MEB
Well, maybe I'm going back a little further than 30 years, but not by much. Plastics and nylon. My old canvas frame pack had a hip belt, but was canvas. Nylon tents are MUCH nicer than the old canvas things.. I never could afford the really expensive non-nylon tents.

And plastic? We take it for granted. Try keeping your bread dry without zip-lock bags. Plastic bags, which we take for granted, let us do a lot more than we used to.

I was about to say the water filter when Pete Hickey trumped me. I'll go with nylon and plastic.

Ever carry one of those canvas "pup" tents? :eek:

the best gear ever - Nylon. Most all I wear in the summer and half what I wear in the winter, it's warm, drys quick, wears pretty well. It's replace all the cotton - from my sneakers to my hat.
On a philosphical note, the BEST gear to have is a brain (common sense). Even with the bad stuff for clothing and equipment, if you use your head you can stay out of trouble.

Pete_Hickey said:
Well, maybe I'm going back a little further than 30 years, but not by much. .

No problem here Pete we can move it back to 40 years...that should almost take us back to Hobnail boots and candles. Did you have your favorite Swiss Army Knife then?

In the last 30 years ...well here's, IMHO my top 5.

1. Gor-Tex
2. Guidebook/maps (also literature)
3. Zip-Locs
4. headlamp advancements
5. stove advancements

The one "newer" piece of gear I have that I couldn't give up would be my altimeter, I sometimes do leave my brain behind...but never my altimeter. ;)

Peace

Jaytrek57 said:
5. stove advancements
I question that.

Have you ever used a Svea? The model is something like 100 years old, and the newer ones are not THAT much better.. OK, lighter, but no more reliable or easy to use.

Now, while I sit here hungry, I think that maybe advances in freeze dried food... Anyone remember what the first generation of dried/freeze-dried food tasted like?

Last edited:
Pete_Hickey said:
Anyone remember what the first generation of dried/freeze-dried food tasted like?

No . . . because it didn't taste like anything! Blechhh! :p

Pete_Hickey said:

Now, while I sit hear hungry, I think that maybe advances in freeze dried food... Anyone remember what the first generation of dried/freeze-dried food tasted like?

Just like the Box it came in!

I agree...Stoves have not evolved like other pieces of gear. I'd give up my Gortex for Wool, but donot take away my Plastic boots when Winter is around.
FootWear gets my Vote. It's like a house with a good foundation!

Around 4 years ago, i worked at a state park in Northern VT. On a day off, i camped w/ some friends at Underhill state park, home of Mt Mansfield. The hippie working there gave us some leftover MRE's since we worked for "The Man" together in the same organization. The next morning after a big bonfire, we warmed up the MRE's in the coals and had military bread. My favorite was the chili MRE. It was fantastic!! The best breakfast I ever had while camping. We climbed mansfield after that.

So.. the best invention in a while is MRE's. Even better than Tang. not by much though.