Unprepared Hikers in the Whites

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marshie

Reaction score
With respect to the sport of hiking, I am very young (an infantile 23 years old), however I feel as if I have come across a mind-boggling quantity of hikers in my adventures throughout the White Mountains and other regions of New England. Here are a few examples:

1. Last year in mid-May while staying at the Kinsman Pond Shelter with a friend we were awoken around 10pm by a group of 6 hikers. Not a single individual in the group was carrying a sleeping bag, sleeping pad, or warm clothing. All were wearing cotton socks and sneakers. In the morning my friend and I were asked two questions “Where is the dumpster?” and “How do we get down from here?”. After the group departed we spent a few minutes cleaning up their cigarette butts before moving on for the day.

2. Returning to the car (Lafayette Campground Parking Lot) on the same day we were engaged by two individuals who asked “Which way to the top?” to which we replied “Top of what?”. I guess they thought we were being smart or something because their next comment was “The mountain, what do you think?”. Now, as we all know there are a number of peaks in the area that can all be reached from this parking area, so the response we naturally gave was “Which mountain?”. The two point to Lafayette and we then directed them towards the trail head. They were wearing shorts, short sleeve shirts, and were carrying windbreakers. Not a drop of water between the two.

3. On a backpacking trip last October my friends and I shared a tentsite at Liberty Springs with a couple in their 30’s. During the morning while they were preparing their espresso (little espresso maker and all) and readying their wine and cheese for the hike to Lafayette we were asked to borrow our cookware to boil water. The couple was then amazed that we brought a water filter with us and asked to use it as well.

4. While summiting Lafayette on a Franconia Ridge Traverse last month with a friend we had to help a man off of the summit cone who had attempted to summit without crampons (or any sort of traction for that matter), an ice ax, or BOOTS (he was wearing liners to plastic mountaineer boots). Before we reached him he has slid a significant way down the cone, almost flying off of a ledge.

5. This weekend while coming down Moosilauke my buddy and I ran into another group of two going up the trail. At the rate they were going with the distance they had left there was no way they were summiting and making it back down before dark. They asked three questions “How much further to the top?” “Do we stay on this trail to the summit?” and “Is the snow melted further up the trail?”. These two were wearing cloth shoes (Converses), wearing street clothes, and not carrying water, traction, or the headlamps/flashlights they were going to need.

These are just a few of the more pronounced examples of severely underprepared hikers I have come across. Why do people do this? Is it a lack of knowledge with respect to the sport or just plain and simple ignorance? Is this a common trend in the White Mountains due to their easy access via I-93 etc or a relatively new phenomenon due to the “recent upsurge” in people engaging in outdoor activities such as hiking? Either way, the hikers code as compelled me to offer help and the best possible advice when safety is concerned, but it’s still disheartening to see this kind of activity taking place in the mountains on a regular basis.

Welcome to the Whites...

Unprepared hikers are a common problem in any backcountry area that is easily accessible from populated areas. "Famous" mountains, such as Mt Washington are major attractors of same.

Doug

I have seen a few dumb things over the years, but not with your frequency. Footwear, water and directions will always lead the list. Hopefully, it will fall off a bit for you. I'll paraphrase my father: "There are a lot more horses' patoots in this world than there are horses."

After the group departed we spent a few minutes cleaning up their cigarette butts before moving on for the day.

That deserves a "hurrah". That was the best way to deal with some of the things you've seen, and may see more of in the future, but hopefully not. The best reaction you can have at times is the one that goes unnoticed and unrecognized.

I think that, in a lot of folks' minds, hiking isn't considered a "serious" activity, one that requires training, planning, gear, etc.
After all, it's only walking, right? Anyone can walk!

Anyone can walk themselves right off a ledge or into a "some SAR required" situation, that's fer sure. :eek:

Ice hockey...rock climbing...cycling...football...skiing...sailing...all of these things require specific knowledge and gear to execute. Hiking, in their minds, doesn't. I mean, they built a trail to the summit, right? Why should I need a map, let alone a compass? :rolleyes:

IMO, one of the reasons we see yahoos like you describe is that they just think of hiking as glorified walking, even though we outdoorsy-types-ah know better...

Yeah, like Fisher Cat said.

Thanks for picking up the butts. You'll find lots of people here who do that sort of thing. :cool:

Yeah, like Fisher Cat said.

Thanks for picking up the butts. You'll find lots of people here who do that sort of thing. :cool:

And that's really all you can do - those that want your knowledge/experience will ask, but most of the folks in that category really don't care. Not worth losing sleep over - like I tell my kids...you have to decide for yourself what kind of person you want to be. After that, the only thing that matters is what you do, not what someone else does.

It's all karma, baby...;) You'll get yours, but so will they. Thanks for deciding what kind of person you are...

I think that, in a lot of folks' minds, hiking isn't considered a "serious" activity, one that requires training, planning, gear, etc.
After all, it's only walking, right? Anyone can walk!

[...]

IMO, one of the reasons we see yahoos like you describe is that they just think of hiking as glorified walking, even though we outdoorsy-types-ah know better...

I understand what you're getting at, but most hiking really is just glorified walking. That's what makes it so wonderful! We get up, we go outside, and we walk around in the natural world. The idea that walking around in nature always requires careful planning, high-tech equipment, 2-3 quarts of electrolyte drinks, and a complex training regime is just plain wrong. And I don't think it serves hikers, let alone the natural world, very well if we are constantly arguing (essentially) that people are at odds with nature.

Incidents such as you describe is what keeps Search and Rescue busy. Incidents such as you describe have prompted NH to have the Hike Safetly promotion. Incidnets such as you describe is why NH sometimes does charge for rescues.

As someone previously posted, welcome to the White Mountains. It's a result of being accessible to the multitudes.

While the Whites may have a greater concentration of such behavior for the reasons previously cited, we don't have a monopoly. I've seen many instances of similar lack of preparation in the Rockies, California and elsewhere.
And it isn't limited to hiking. I frequently see people paddling in the 40F ocean at this time of year in cotton clothes.

We attempted Kahtadin last Sept...it was cold and rainy (they closed the summit the next day...our summit day...due to a hurracaine), cloudy and yucky!! Anyway, on our way up, we met quite a group...straggling down the mountain 2 - 3 here, another 4 there. They were youngish (12 - 16). No adults that I could see. Anyway, we talked to them and they said that they were cold and were going back to the car but...others had continued up. These kids were in jeans or shorts...t-shirts...sneakers (some converse!) and had the cheap rain ponchos you find in Rite Aid for $2.00....completely ripped and useless. Most had no backpack, fanny pack, or anything like this.

Ok...so, we continue up and do our thing to set up our camp. At about 4:00 pm...we see stragglers coming down the saddle trail...again, same group (those that had continued up). Same age group with, about 4 adults. In total, there must have been about 20 kids with 4 adults...climbing up KAHTADIN!! Same clothing...some really dead from the climbing.

Anyway...as with any sport...hiking has it's doofises...and they give a bad name to the rest of us...and are usually the cause of some stupid "rule" beig set up that destroys the fun for the rest of us. Sigh...:(

While the Whites may have a greater concentration of such behavior for the reasons previously cited, we don't have a monopoly. I've seen many instances of similar lack of preparation in the Rockies, California and elsewhere.

Yup, me too.

In January I was coming off Mt Baldy, a popular 10K peak in Southern Cal in the San Gabriels just north of LA. As I was working my way off the steeps at about 9K, I came upon two fellows. One, the Good Samaritan, was chopping steps with his axe for the other, a stranger, who had somehow managed to gain the last 2K' of elevation in light hikers with no crampons on very steep terrain. They would be a long time coming off the mountain.

Once, a long time ago, I was one of those doofuses (Doofi?) :)

I was humbled by the experience, and learned many valuable lessons. I try to pass them on to the current members of the doofus clan...some accept the help graciously, others don't. C'est la Vie.

My sentiments exactly, that's the same conclusion I came to today when I was thinking this over. I'm not the same hiker today as I was years ago. My parents, dad in particular, were big readers and adherents of Watermans Ethics. That's the way we were raised,not as much by spoken word, but by example. Yet, as I got older I can't say as if I stuck to it all. Especially in the teens years, those years when you aren't as dependent on your parents when it comes to hiking, like now you can get rides from and hike with your friends, or even drive yourself and hike alone. I mean, I still packed like I was gonna be gone a week just for a day hike, so my parents drilled into me the safety aspect. But when it came to disposal or just general attitude, I will admit I was not always the best. Nothin' I would be arrested for, but certainly less than ideal.

Now with the passing of time and experience I've come full circle. Back to the basics. Still learnin' too. Jason is right. You can usually tell when someone will accept help or reminders graciously and when they won't. I'm glad when someone has pointed out to me a matter of genuine concern as opposed to personal choice or feeling. Its made me more aware. Where would any of us be without it? Some will make lots of errors, yet come back more prepared and with a renewed zeal for hiking and all it offers. Others will be embittered with the experience and never try it again no matter how much someone tries to help.

Again, kudos to picking up the butts. Get used to it, you'll end up doing it again I'm sure. I try not to think of how it got there or even who put it there, I'll just be darned if its gonna stay there under my watch. Leave it better than I found it so everyone can enjoy it. That's what we all do and to me its part of the back to basics, coming full circle.

Unprepared hikers in the Whites? NOTHING beats the time I saw a woman trying to push a baby carriage up the Davis Path. :eek:

Unprepared hikers in the Whites? NOTHING beats the time I saw a woman trying to push a baby carriage up the Davis Path. :eek:

I don't know about the Davis Path, but I did push a double decker stroller up a path in the Italian Alps when the kids were 3 and 1. The stroller was made for off-road trekking....I used the hell out of that thing.

I don't know about the Davis Path, but I did push a double decker stroller up a path in the Italian Alps when the kids were 3 and 1. The stroller was made for off-road trekking....I used the hell out of that thing.

This one wasn't.

I wonder how far the woman got? Shoving the off-road stroller up a rocky path wasn't much fun...can't imagine how enjoyable pushing a regular stroller up the Davis Path could be...

She probably got a few yards when she asked me how the rest of it was. I politely told her and her husband that she'd have a tough time with the stroller since it was pretty rocky. So she parked the stroller at the beginning of the trailhead, hoisted the baby over her shoulder and started her hike. I have no idea how the rest of her hike went since I was on my way to the trailhead.