Volunteer Pemi Bridge Work Site Clean Up Planning Thread

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are some pictures from yesterday. I would figure we removed roughly 800 to 1000 pounds. Also did some rough figuring on what was there not counting the big long cables and there is at least 8000 pounds there. This unfortunately includes the 212 lineal feet of 10x10 creosoted beams that would weigh in about 6000 pounds.:eek: They are in pretty good shape so it might be best to leave them there in case someone wants to build a bridge across the Pemi sometime!;)

Pics: http://good-times.webshots.com/slideshow/580606442DLGCLU

Last edited:
"Better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness"
- author unknown

So that's what Sabrina did. She lit a candle. Troublemaker.

Dave Bear, check out photo 4070 of your gallery. See that beautiful measuring tape. Well, it's sitting on my kitchen table right now. I thought you forgot it at the bridge site, and when we crossed paths on our final out-and-back, I forgot I had put it in my pack. If you want to PM me your address I'll put it in the mail.
Now check out photo 4097...please tell me you didn't haul that on your final trip. My eyes are watering just looking at it. That's gotta be about 150 lbs. My first haul was only about half that weight, and I'm walking today like I just gave birth.

Nice group of folks yesterday. Good to meet you all.

p.s. Anyone know how to get creosote stains out of hiking pants and car seats?

Last edited:
"Better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness"
- author unknown

So that's what Sabrina did. She lit a candle. Troublemaker.

Dave Bear, check out photo 4070 of your gallery. See that beautiful measuring tape. Well, it's sitting on my kitchen table right now. I thought you forgot it at the bridge site, and when we crossed paths on our final out-and-back, I forgot I had put it in my pack. If you want to PM me your address I'll put it in the mail.
Now check out photo 4097...please tell me you didn't haul that on your final trip. My eyes are watering just looking at it. That's gotta be about 150 lbs. My first haul was only about half that weight, and I'm walking today like I just gave birth.

Nice group of folks yesterday. Good to meet you all.

p.s. Anyone know how to get creosote stains out of hiking pants and car seats?

Yep, nuthin' but trouble, that's me :)

Mike carried out FOUR turnbuckles -- had to be 200 # -- that was after his first Herculean haul of a giant bail of cable held on by a huge timber...oh to be young and strong!

As for the creosote, let me know when you find the antidote, I gave you a ride, remember? :p

GREAT day! I don't think I've ever carried so much on my back in my life. I recall leaving Johnston, VT with a 50# pack after a resupply stop on the Long Trail -- that was heavy -- and my first load yesterday, well, I couldn't even stand up straight to haul it out. Thanks to all for NOT posting any oh so flattering pictures of me looking like an old lady with a broken back!! :D

I hurt in places I've never hurt before, but at the same time , I'm feeling pretty impressed at what we accomplished out there. I was estimating 1000 pounds, I think Mike pushed us a bit higher on his last trip.

THANK YOU to everyone who came along and all who supported this effort with your kind words and emails. I don't think there is anyone among us yesterday who agreed with the bridge removal -- we'd just like to see the stuff outta there and with all the budget cuts, I don't see it happening without volunteers.

Last edited:
Thanks Unadogger for organizing this. It was a great day. I don't want to guess how much I carried, but it was more than I have ever had on my back (in a non-work situation) before. We did manage to put a pretty good dent in the debris piles. Maybe one more trip, in the fall? It was great to see old friends, and to meet some new faces!

Maybe one more trip, in the fall? It was great to see old friends, and to meet some new faces!

Count me in. Maybe the weekend after Flags??
( I gotta lotta waterbars to clear between now and then :) )

To all who were able to join in the fun yesterday, I got a nice note from Giff thanking us all once again. :D

Last edited:
Thanks, Psmart! Somehow we picked the ultimate Presi Day to do this work, but...:)

we could have Bearly Live out there ... with Caveman and MarcHowes in charge of the bonfire, that evil bridge would be history inside a half hour :)

I just had to ressurect your comment, Arm, because more than once your idea came up yesterday. :)

VFTT 2012 Winter Gathering??

Last edited:
Got an email from Giff at the USFS Volunteer Office today, he writes:

"The FS had a pack out day today. The hardware pile is completely gone and there are very few pieces of the smaller wood left. The strategy for the big wood is to cut it up and sled it out when there is snow on the ground."

:)

...As for the creosote, let me know when you find the antidote, I gave you a ride, remember? :p...

I am so sorry. :eek:

On the car seat, I used Purell alcohol hand sanitizer and a paper towel, and the creosote came off. There's still a slight discoloration on my car seat, but I think that's because that spot is now the only clean spot on my car seat.

If you can't get the seat clean, please tell me, and I will pay you to get it taken care of. Thank you very much for the lift to Lincoln. It's hard to thumb a lift around here wearing a Cubs hat.

I am so sorry. :eek:

On the car seat, I used Purell alcohol hand sanitizer and a paper towel, and the creosote came off. There's still a slight discoloration on my car seat, but I think that's because that spot is now the only clean spot on my car seat.

If you can't get the seat clean, please tell me, and I will pay you to get it taken care of. Thank you very much for the lift to Lincoln. It's hard to thumb a lift around here wearing a Cubs hat.

Sorry! Your money is no good around here. :D I will try the Purell! No big deal..especially since someone clipped my bumper while I was parked at LW and didn't leave a note, guess my brandy new car is officially broke in!!

Got an email from Giff at the USFS Volunteer Office today, he writes:

"The FS had a pack out day today. The hardware pile is completely gone and there are very few pieces of the smaller wood left. The strategy for the big wood is to cut it up and sled it out when there is snow on the ground."

:)

Like I mentioned earlier, I would like to help but, only if I sled it out. SO much easier. I may even be talked into a " saw day " but that would seem more like a fall activity to me, at the moment.
Btw, a little paint thinner works well to get the creosote of the skin, then use soap and water. Bring an extra set of clothes or a least have a friend check your ass for creosote before getting into the car.:D

Thank you. What a pure, beautiful thing. Thank you. One is inspired to Walt-Whitman-esque rhapsody: the trees and streams rejoice, the walkers see only beauty. Great job. --Mike.