Washing a backpack

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CINDERSMOM

Reaction score
After bushwacking in the wet woods our backpacks were very dirty. So we googled "How to wash a backpack" and got some very useful information. Since they wouldn't fit in the washing machine, and I have a front loading machine, we had to opt for the bathtub. But if you can fit your pack in the washing machine it is suggested that you put it in a pillowcase to keep all the buckels and straps free from getting caught. In the bathtub we used Woolite and swished tham around for awhile. Man, did the water turn brown with tons of pine needles and sticks. Then fill the tub again with clean water for a rinse and wring it out and hang it up. WOW it worked. Got rid of the smell and the dirt. Probably should have done this years ago!!!

The coatings used on the fabrics used in making packs are easily damaged and washing machines are generally dis-recommended. Detergents are also often dis-recommended.

The instructions that I have seen for cleaning coated fabrics suggest very gentle cleaning with water.

Doug

I've used Woolite and elbow grease too in order to get things clean on both tents and packs and will vouch for its effectiveness also. I often feel more in control keeping it clean that way.