watching the skiiers

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dentonfabrics

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to winter hiking so please forgive the ignorance, but I'm thinking of snowshoeing out to HoJo's to watch the crazies ski Tuckermans tomorrow. But are the skiiers there yet? I've heard that the season doesnt start till March. And is HoJo's the best destination for watching or is there a better place to go?

I would guess that even if the skiiers arent there, the scenery would be spectacular this time of year and still worth the trip.

thx
bob

April 21st is the Son of Inferno competition - guaranteed to have tons of skiers plus racers to watch - great scene!!

edit: And to actually answer some of your questions...
Yes, there are skiers there right now (locals who can pick their day to go). As the season goes into spring the snowpack gets more stable (less avalanche danger) and more skiers come out to play safely. There is plenty of snow there right now for skiing and you'll probably see most skiers in April/beginning of May this year. Of course check out the Avalanche bulletin to make sure conditions are safe for skiing and being in the ravine.

The best place to watch them is past Hojos at the base of the ravine- just follow the Tuckerman Ravine trail to the base of the Headwall - there are a bunch of exposed rocks to the right called the "Lunch Rocks". Grab a rock and enjoy the show :)

Last edited:
Probably not too many folks up there right now. Avy danger is fairly high, there's a nasty breakable crust, and the snow is much better in VT. The season doesn't really get into full swing until April.

-dave-

I've been "up there" more this winter than in past winters due to the awesomely firm conditions. The thousand crazies don't come out until later when things warm up, but if you want to see skiers, you may be in luck.

Note that in winter, I'd be more likely to be up there in overcast conditions, but your viewing may be better under bluebird skies.

Note also that at this time of year, weekdays are likely to have very slim attendance. Even on weekends, few people may go -- 3 weekends ago, I had the bowl to myself for a few hours. For me to be there on a weekday in winter, conditions would have to be predictably perfect.

On a slightly related note...

I was going to go up to Tucks on April 21 to celebrate my birthday. Will the Sons of Inferno race make it a hassle if we want to ski the Headwall? Will we be relegated to Hillmans Highway area and/or GoS? I've never been up there during the race and didn't know how much of the area would be off limits in practical terms.
(I'm not really interested in the race unless Toni Matt is there.)

blacknblue said:
On a slightly related note...

I was going to go up to Tucks on April 21 to celebrate my birthday. Will the Sons of Inferno race make it a hassle if we want to ski the Headwall? Will we be relegated to Hillmans Highway area and/or GoS? I've never been up there during the race and didn't know how much of the area would be off limits in practical terms.
The two years I've been up there for it they have used Left Gully for the ski leg of the race. I don't remember if they allow you up it until the race is done (I don't think so, but I have seen people ski it after it's done) but you are free to ski all the other parts of the Headwall.
And I doubt Toni Matt or any schussing will be seen any time soon :)

...although Glen Plake was there in '05.

cbcbd said:
Of course check out the Avalanche bulletin to make sure conditions are safe for skiing and being in the ravine.

The best place to watch them is past Hojos at the base of the ravine- just follow the Tuckerman Ravine trail to the base of the Headwall - there are a bunch of exposed rocks to the right called the "Lunch Rocks". Grab a rock and enjoy the show :)
Don't forget that even if the avy danger is posted as low, avalanches, rocks, and large blocks of ice can still come down. (And, of course, all the traffic above can help by knocking it down.) So be careful and keep your eyes open. Placing youself by a large rock (that you can hide behind on short notice...) isn't a bad idea.

Doug

blacknblue said:
Will the Sons of Inferno race make it a hassle if we want to ski the Headwall? Will we be relegated to Hillmans Highway area and/or GoS? I've never been up there during the race and didn't know how much of the area would be off limits in practical terms.
I believe they choose their route on the morning of the race, so you find out where they are when you get there.

You are dating yourself... :)

Doug

After seeing large chunks of ice falling on the Lunch Rocks, I'll never hang out there again. I much prefer other places in the Ravine with less exposure.

-dave-

Been there ... done that ... bought the T-shirt

The last time I was there, hiked up with my son, who is younger than me, I said that the next time I would not drag 25+ pounds of skis with me as the fatigue disallowed me from carving any turns to speak of. Alternatively I would bring a camera and plenty of suds cans, or in my case, homebrew bottles. Best place to do pics is from the floor of the ravine, above the little headwall. You went back a ways to use HoJo, but about 3/4 mile above the Hermit Shelter is the place to be. I agree with Dave M - been at lunch rocks with me ski boots off when someone yelled "nice, nice" so I looked up to see some good turns, but they were saying "ice, ice" and my boots were bowled off by a piece about basketball sized - grazed on the back as I ducked behind a rock.

As the Hills Street Blues guys say "Be careful out there!"

Have a blast ... TrekMan

Last edited:
bubba said:
Hey! I'm about to resemble that remark... with a few other crazed members of this forum!!! April 21st if all goes as planned. :D

Don't forget your Garbage Bags and Tractor Tire Inner Tubes! :D

Ignorant flatlander question: how do you hike UP to the top of the ski runs without being flattened by the people skiing DOWN?

I looked at one of the ski sites out of curiosity, and it said the trails up for each run were right next to it...

Usually you hike up along the side of the runs in a boot ladder (steps made by people kicking in their boots). There are plenty of runs down and skiers tend to be good enough to miss you ;)

But hey, it's not always safe and anything could happen - people can lose it on the boot ladder and slide down taking others with them, stuff can get kicked down on you, out of control skiers can ski into you, rock and ice fall can always occur on warm days, of course there is avalanche danger sometimes, or even airplanes could fall down in the bowl...

I'd stay home if I were you :D

On some runs, like Left Gully, the run has a narrow choke point that climbers and skiers have to both travel through. An out of control skier (plummeting) can take out a big chunk of the boot ladder.

-dave-