Weight of your first-aid kit?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadRiver

Reaction score
After taking the WFA course two weeks ago, I’ve been thinking of increasing my first-aid kit from the minimalist approach to a more stocked version. One item that we used extensively on each practical exercise was the Sam Splint, which was supplied by one member of my group. Rather than go through a lengthy thread about what’s in your first-aid kit, I was just wondering what’s the maximum weight you are willing to carry.

Haven't weighed our kit but 2-2.5lbs sounds close. We were hiking with an AMC group,and had a discussion about who had Ibuprofen for a trip member. I mentioned that we had a full kit,complete with a SAM,but don't make us use it! Another participant(physician) remarked"Wow,I don't even carry a SAM with me!"
After taking a WFA course,I can't imagine not having one out there.

SAM splints are great for splinting forearms, but really aren't any better then stuff you can fabricate for other splints and that have multiple uses (ensolite pads, ski poles, etc). I don't carry one for that reason.

If you look at everything I carry on a winter hike as first aid/emergency gear you might have to include a sleeping bag, pad, thermos, tarp, etc. I consider that just as important as an ACE bandage.

-dave-

My first-aid kit is about 3lbs and I usually like to store it between my ears ;)

My second-aid kit is about 1lb. I probably wouldn't carry too much more than that.

David Metsky said:
SAM splints are great for splinting forearms, but really aren't any better then stuff you can fabricate for other splints and that have multiple uses (ensolite pads, ski poles, etc). I don't carry one for that reason.
-dave-

Although we used the Sam Splint on our victim’s leg, we augmented the splint with a foam pad, clothing, trekking poles, and various backpacking ties. The more clothes we added the harder the splint. The Sam Splint on the leg really just acted as a stable foundation with which to add other items.

Ic ame across a spling that is less expensive then a SAM. it is an aluminum wire mesh. I thought that it could save time for a radius/ulna type of problem. Wheras big material would be needed for leg problems

Sam Splint

I have no idea how much my kit weighs but I had to chime in, in regards to all the mentions of a Sam Splint. It has been mentioned on this thread about how often it was used during training courses. How about in a real life instance. Just a month ago I was hiking Whiteface and a member of my party slipped on ice and she thought she broke her ankle. The next day after x-rays she finds that she did in fact snap a bone straight through. She has taken a mountaineering course in the past which prompted her to start carrying a Sam Splint, she figured she'd use it on someone else, not the other way around. Any way we splinted it and she walked on it for about a mile, that was where we met up with NYS Rangers, NYS DEC, Wilmington and Lake Placid fire and rescue teams, who then carried her the rest of the way down in a litter. At the bottom, the ambulance crew said that applying the Sam Splint probably help her out a great deal.

I would have to say about an ounce or two... aside from a band-aid or two and a couple of asprin I really don't carry a 1st aid kit as such...

I used to carry a very comprehensive and therefore weighty first aid kit (I'm a physician assistant and tried to plan for almost every type of injury) I found I never used most of the stuff in the kit. After carrying a SAM splint around for a couple of years without any use, it got tossed. I keep with the basics - antibiotic ointment, alcohol wipes, bandaids of assorted sizes, gauze, tape, needle for splinters and blisters, hydrocortisone creme, coban or an ace bandage and non latex gloves. For meds I carry tylenol, motrin, benadryl. On a backpacking trip, I may toss in some imodium and pepto bismol. When adventuring out of the country, I'll carry cipro. Other than the motrin, I still find I use very little out of my kit.

I delivered a baby on top of Jefferson last January. It was planned that way and it was my seventh son.

Just kidding. :D

My first aid kit has been subjected to a major reducing job too. Now it contains tweezers, bandaids, moleskin and willow bark extract.
However, I still carry tin foil to stop a sucking chest wound.

Last edited:
MadRiver said:
Although we used the Sam Splint on our victim’s leg, we augmented the splint with a foam pad, clothing, trekking poles, and various backpacking ties. The more clothes we added the harder the splint. The Sam Splint on the leg really just acted as a stable foundation with which to add other items.
I know that a SAM splint can be very useful, but not much more then other things you can carry that also have other uses. I'd never turn it down if I someone had one when I needed to splint someone's broken arm or leg, but I could do just as good a job with many other things in my pack that I carry for other reasons, such as my ski poles. I've only had to make a splint once while hiking and it was easy to fashion with ski poles, ace bandages, and straps.

I tend to carry more F/A stuff then most people, especially if I'm leading a trip. But I also carry a lot of extra clothes, food, etc unless I'm purposely trying to pack very lightly. Figure 2 lbs of stuff.

David Metsky said:
I know that a SAM splint can be very useful, but not much more then other things you can carry that also have other uses. I'd never turn it down if I someone had one when I needed to splint someone's broken arm or leg, but I could do just as good a job with many other things in my pack that I carry for other reasons, such as my ski poles. I've only had to make a splint once while hiking and it was easy to fashion with ski poles, ace bandages, and straps.

I tend to carry more F/A stuff then most people, especially if I'm leading a trip. But I also carry a lot of extra clothes, food, etc unless I'm purposely trying to pack very lightly. Figure 2 lbs of stuff.

Go on, admit it. You don't carry a SAM because I always do. ;) :p

My FA kit is no more than a pound or less with the SAM included. For me, a good Ace bandage is key. Makes splinting much easier. I just bought a kit from REI--it has all the other stuff you need. I added a full sized ACE bandage, specific blister bandages that I tend to prefer (also the thing I use most), hand warmers and some Immodium. That can be particularly helpful in case of a bad meal the night before! ;)

I think there is a tendency for first aid kits to grow right after the owner takes a first aid course and then gradually shrink as most of the items don't get used...

Doug

DougPaul said:
I think there is a tendency for first aid kits to grow right after the owner takes a first aid course and then gradually shrink as most of the items don't get used...

Doug

Guilty:

I’ve gone from a full FA kit to a few band-aids over the years and never once used any of them. I guess I’m trying to balance what might be needed in a minor mishap and what might be critical in a more serious accident. Not knowing the particulars of any future accident, the best I can hope for is that I can at least offer some level of assistance if I happen upon someone in need.

I agree with Dave M. you can rig stuff when needed to splint easy. My kit is small, way less then a 1lb, it was homemade for 20+ yrs or so until I bought one from EMS last year, it had about the same items as I always carried but came in a waterproof bag that I thought was an upgrade from my ragged mountain pouch ( which has gotten wet in bad storms). In over 20 yrs in the backcountry Ive never needed to perform sugery yet, just throw on some thick guaze, a little ointment, then ducktape the mess to stop bleeding, fix at home.
P.S. I broke my ankle in the field, just tied my boot real tight, taped my poles together for a crutch, took 12 advil and hobbled out. :eek:

I have two first aid kits. The large one weights about 430g (~1lb.) The small one which reflects my ultralight backpacking weight reduction thoughts is 100g (~0.22 lb)

The major diferences to get the weight reduction:
the elimination of the triangular bandage and Sepnco ace bandage.
switch from a large (2"x4"x6" zippered case) to a ziplock
and reduced quantities.

In both cases, I do not include tools like tweezers, needles, water purification, as they are in my ditty bag. Also, I keep the Ibuprofen in the ditty to keep from entering the FAK frequently.

Some conditional additions:
For 3rd world countries, I add a drug kit that weighs up to 1/2 to 1 pound...it includes precription meds like Cipro and non prescription meds like enough drugs to deal with a one week cold, sore throat, or the flu. (My regular kit only includes small supplies of Benedril, ammonium, and potasium.) For altitude, I add diamox. For longer trips (over 1 week) I add extra blister stuff, bandaids, tape... Usually not needed

For me, these kits reflect a comfortable level of preparedness based on the assumption of improvising as per the training. Having evac'ed 2 broken arms and two broken legs, as well dealing as the routine cuts bruises etc...I'm okay going into most routine emergencies with what I have.

What does scare the crap out of me is serious trama (requiring spinal precautions) such as a 30+foot fall, or sudden illness such as stroke or cardiac problems. I'm not sure how to improve my FAK to better deal with these emergencies with the addition of up to 1/2 pound. Mostly because it's way over my head and what I really need is a hospital....Haven't figured out how to carry that one yet. I think higher chances of success in these situations are more likely to occur with the addition of another FA qualified member in the group rather than more gear. One person can only do so much - airway, monitor vitals, manage the scene, do the FA, plan the evac,
communicate with the authorities....I'm getting tired already.

Key components of my emergency kit are a foam pad., flat roll of duct tape, large clean bandana, advil, small tree saw. mole skin and an ace. To this equipment I add a very small first aide kit (couple of ounces). Since you never know what you will run into, I like to carry things that will allow me to improvise.

Rols said:
Key components of my emergency kit are a foam pad.
Any pad will help to insulate the victim from the cold ground/snow, but one made of a fairly stiff foam (most that I have seen these days are too flimsy) can also be used to make a magazine splint. I have used such a pad plus some wool shirt padding to stabilize a knee (ligament injury) sufficiently well that we were able to walk the victim out. (Later that evening, he spent 5 hrs on the table having the ligament reattached.)

BTW, shock comes on much faster in the cold than in the warm. Keeping the victim adequately insulated from the cold is vital.

Doug