What did you do in 2009?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
from 2009 year in preview thread:
knock off some more of the W48 and NEHH, learn how to use my edged XC skis,
take a WFA class, explore all the remote ponds on the east side of Smart's/Cube, complete reclamation of my current AT boundary segment, and start another, clear the view on S.Moose (I have approval), hike with the kids, take the oldest(8), on her 1st overnight somewhere, and just basically have fun in the woods.

It was a mixed bag as far as making these goals, but I did have a lot of fun in the woods this year. I didn't get the WFA class done yet, and I have much more to learn about my x-c skis, but I did get a lot of trailwork/boundary work done, went hiking the kids, and got to do a couple cool bird related trips, one for bicknell's thrush on Mt. Wolf, and the Christmas Bird Count in Crawford Notch. I think the two coolest trips this year were FSB IV at Lonesome Lake, and the Baxter State Park trip with Rols, Tuco, Sapblatt, LarryD, and Marty.

gratitude for every minute of 2009

I finished the Catskill 3500 and got serious about the winter 3500. I think I like leading aspirants to the Catskills as much as I liked bagging each peak.

I started the ADK 46. I had 1 for years but now I'm serious about a 4 peak/year plan.

Goals for 2010:
hike, ski and have fun.
drop the drama and be present to enjoy the moment.

In no particular order

1. finished the 67 with Tuco (and with Marty who finished the 100)
2. BSP trip with Tuco, Sapblatt, LarryD, Jason Berard
3. Travelers Loop with Tuco, Sapblatt, LarryD
4. Hemi Presi Traverse with Sapblatt, Bobby
5. Pittsfield Snowshoe race with Tuco
6. Franconia traverse after the first good snow of Fall with a great crew
7. 41 4000 footers
8. Guest speaker at the opening of a new trail at Moore State Park
9. Providing a talk to the MA Park Ranger Service on hiking as a tool for Cardiovascular Health.
10. Hiking with Bobby when he finished his 48
11. Hiking with Marty and Little Bear up Clay on a perfect early Spring day
12. Doing the Maine 4000' with Tuco

A fun year which included hiking with great people and many memorable moments

With a few weddings among friends and family, and a college graduation and a (relatively) new grandchild in the immediate family, I did not get out as much as I would have liked in 2009. Still, got out 23 times and hiked about 200 miles. (This does not include a dozen or so backcountry fly-fishing excursions, which for some reason I do not count as "hikes".) Highlights were Monroe in winter with Rols, Bobby's 48th on Carrigain, Adams and Madison with my wife Cathy (nos. 34 and 35 for her), the great Baxter trip with Sapblatt, Marty, Tuco, Rols and Jason Berard and a fabulous October Franconia traverse.

Good luck to all in 2010.