what [I]is[/I]it?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forestgnome

Reaction score
just appearing at the Hancock Notch TH.....

IMG_9273aaa.jpg

(model: BeccaM)

1) What is it; what's the purpose?

2) How much did it cost us?

3) How did we ever get by without it?

Last edited:
Evidence

Aha, now we have evidence that Becca went around it and not over under through it! What that means....I haven't a clue.

I would guess that it is meant to prevent "vehicles" from passing. I'd hate to take a wheelchair on that path and then suddenly find myself rolling out of control directly into the road right at the hairpin turn....on the other hand I wouldn't want to get struck by a meteor and both are as likely to happen...

Saw this a week or two ago. Puzzling to us hikers, but maybe it keeps some highway goofers from wandering down to the road? :confused:

Our parking dollars at work!

Actually....

I went thru it several times just to make sure I would be counted and I'd get my parking dollars' money's worth :)

I think it *should* meet the accessibility requirements to allow handicapped access to the gravelly downramp to the hairpin turn!!!! It opens *towards* the path.

I don't think a vehicle could get thru the stonewalls that the gate is between anyway!!!!

It was TOO FUNNY!!!! :eek:

I defense of Becca, her eyes are closed. My bets are she was "dared" to hike this way to catch her doing something wrong or embarrassing. That's my bet.

Obviously it's to keep the moose from barrelling down the trail onto the Kanc. (Fast hikers/runners, too.)

:D

Good opportunity to practice one's hurdling and track & field ability!

Jay

Especially once it is buried in a snow bank and trompled upon by snowwshoes, crampons and microspikes...then the best part the Forest Service will then change the wilderness boundieries to include this artifact so in all hopes we will all not have to pay for the restoration but only the removal.