What quotations or phrases keep you going in difficult outdoor situations?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Being in the Union leader is a fate worse then death, man do they muck things up, arnt they from NH? They did an article recently about a man and his dog doing the 4k's " The dog did something many people never do, 2 4k's in one day!!" shit I should publish my journals Id be a legend. Anywho, my favorite quote is from the late Scott Fisher ( perished on Everest) " The summit or Death, either way I win". Sometimes I also talk to myself when Im feeling like giving up, simple stuff like " Are you kidding me? your going to give up and hike down with your tail between your legs like a baby, get your lazy ass up this hill and be a freakin man!! believe it or not it works for me.

When I see a sign that lists mileage to the next landmark I always say out loud, "Three miles? I can do that!"

Unless you're in a wilderness area, then you'll have to stop and consult your map. ;)

I find myself hiking solo about 60% of the time, though I've had good luck since August hooking up with individuals and groups to hike with. When solo, my go-to phrases when confronted with an especially steep pitch when exhausted, or the impromptu bushwhack, include (but are not limited to): "Oh f**k me! Really?!?!?", and "F**k this trail and whoever built it". I'll insert some self-deprecating humor to relieve the tension of the situation, dig deep, and make it happen. :D

Being a big fan of type 2 fun, I like the Mark Twight quote.

Along the lines of Tom_Murphy's post when faced with dangerous exposure or something especially taxing I'll remind myself, "I'm having a good time." But more in a facetious tone, reminding myself hey a**hole you love this stuff remember??

Just remember. I'm out there to enjoy it. There's no requirement to get the top this time.

It's very interesting how some people use positive thoughts and others have negative thoughts. I always feel so much gratitude for even being able to hike at all that I don't think I've ever felt anything but positive toward the mountains. But hey, whatever gets you going....it's all good!

While I have asked out loud "what drunken idiot thought this was a good idea for a trail?" I'm more likely to say "it's always worth it in the end" as that always seems to be the case. Even a bad hike can be a good hike.

I remember a sign on a door that said something like, "Everyone who comes in makes me happy, some when they enter and some when they leave."

Similarly some hikes I say "What a great place, glad I found it!" and others "Now that I've been here, I won't ever have to come back!"

I think Josey Wales summed it up pretty well:

"Now remember, when things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is".

I think Josey Wales summed it up pretty well:

"Now remember, when things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is".

I LOVE IT! THATS GONNA BE MY KNEW WORDS OF MOTIVATION. I love Clint Eastwood and Westerns!

Chip beat me to it! :D "Just keep swimming" from Finding Nemo..... I use it in my own head and I give the same advice to students. I think it helps me more than it helps them. I also just put songs that get up me up in my head when things are becoming a slog out on the trail or if I'm feeling pain, etc. RUSH has been at the top of my actual playlist of late, so I expect once I head out on the trail this winter it'll be Tom Sawyer and Spirit of Radio that gets replayed again and again ;).

Excellent! Although for me, it's often "We are the priests of the temples of Syrinx" that starts playing unbidden in my head.

TCD --- That is quite a bit earlier in vintage than the Rush I listened to in High School .... but I'm glad you mentioned it, because I went back and took a listen, and now I'm quite sure that it will also be in my head in the near future :D. I listen to the Greatest Hits mp3 at the gym almost every day lately ... I must be regressing in my early old age!

A mock-Latin phrase I often use for situations and personalities, but sometimes when the trail is tedious or the pack too heavy, is "Illegitimi non carborundum." You may be familiar with it --- Hutmen have used it for years. (a translation is at Wikipedia.)

Muhammed Ali often comes to mind because some of his lines are so damn funny and it gets me smiling out there. Classics like:

"I'm king of the world! I'm pretty! I'm a baaaad man! I shook up the world! I'm so pretty!"

"I can't be beat!"

Or from an old coach I knew, "You're a strong bull! You're a strong bull!"

I laugh. It works.

And to add to the Rush minithread...I'm a fan of the new one (Clockwork Angels) and had some of those riffs and lines in my head recently...they only get better.