What to use to carry my Hillsounds Pro and BD Contact Crampons

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just bought my husband Hillsounds Pro trail crampons and just ordered BD Contact crampons for me. Since Hillsounds no longer includes a bag for the crampons, I am wondering what you use to carry yours. I emailed Hillsounds for suggestions and the reply was sorry, we no longer include the bag when you buy the crampons. I didn't see this topic addressed in previous thread. Help me Obiwan!

I use a really tough, old plastic bag leftover from something else. Works good by protecting other pack contents from sharp points and melt water. Once I break them out for the day I usually hang them from a 'biner if I remove them.

ETA: I would also like to add that I store them point-to-point so this is very limited tip exposure.

Last edited:
REI sells one here as does EMS. You can also make your own from 1000d Cordura cloth, available at canvas shops.

Last edited:
I just use a heavy gauge stuff stack for my crampons, and a lighter gauge stuff stack for my micro’s. Both have worked just fine for the past 5/6 years. If memory serves, both were only a few dollars. I personally do not see any reason to spend a lot of money on a specialty bag, when something significantly cheaper will work just fine. The same holds true for my snowshoes, I just stitched an extra strap onto my backpack which holds my snowshoes until I need them.

Yeah, I just use any old nylon bag that fits the crampons with the spikes facing each other. I've never had a problem and I've been using the same old bag for years despite the person at Campor who said it wouldn't last long.

Jay

I bought mine from Ragged Mountain Equipment over 20 yrs ago and its still in great shape. I find alot of thier products to be quite good.

Yes, and they also pose a risk to others if the tines are not covered.

Well, if you put the Hillsound TCPs bottom-to-bottom and toe-to-toe (so the spikes overlap), there's not really that much sticking out. I keep mine in a heavy-ish nylon sack in the "top hat" of my daypack. If I (or someone else) managed to fall on them in a way to cause punctures, I think that might be the least of my injuries. if they were biner'ed to the outside of the pack, it might be a different issue. I suspect full crampons would be a bit more of a problem with the longer spikes. Maybe I can take a picture tonight and show what they look like "stowed".

Since Hillsounds no longer includes a bag for the crampons, I am wondering what you use to carry yours. I emailed Hillsounds for suggestions and the reply was sorry, we no longer include the bag when you buy the crampons.

Interesting....I just yesterday received my Hillsound Trail Pro crampons in the mail after ordering from backcountryedge.com, and they included a heavy-duty carrying bag in the box, which surprised me. Last year I had bought a pair from Kittery Trading Post and didn't get a bag (I broke them after putting stuff on top of them in my car so I needed a new pair).

Perhaps backcountryedge still has some in stock with the carrying bags....they were $64.95 with free shipping, and the shipping was very fast (2 days).

Can't add anything new to what has been said, but keep it light. A friend uses a pillow case wrapped around hers. I've used a spare knit hat so have double-duty.

Remember when packs had removable pockets? Get one and strap it to the outside of your pack and stick the crampons inside, points facing inward toward your pack.

Remember when packs had removable pockets? Get one and strap it to the outside of your pack and stick the crampons inside, points facing inward toward your pack.

I do remember removable pockets. One set that I had used loops with a pull cord and they used to tangle up with the brush if a trail was overgrown. Now I say, keep it simple.