What was Marlin Perkin's sidekick's name?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason Berard

Reaction score
N. Thetford, VT Avatar: Cabot, winter 2011
Whatever it was, that is who I felt like yesterday. You know, the guy who was always in the field being chased by animals in the wild while Marlin was safe in the studio?

northern goshawk letting me know I'm too close to her nest!

a porkie pretending to not be there

RIP Trudy.

This was all in the Podunk area between West Hartford and West Norwich, VT, along the AT corridor.

Last edited:
Jim wrestles the alligator, while I hide in the bush. WE GOT HIM!

HAHAHAHAHA! Jim Fowler indeed!

Welcome to the "I survived a Goshawk Attack" club. Great photo! Did you take it while it was dive-bombing you? :eek:

After enduring two attacks, I get just a wee bit fearful when I see large birds fly over me.

Regards,
Marty

HAHAHAHAHA! Jim Fowler indeed!

Welcome to the "I survived a Goshawk Attack" club. Great photo! Did you take it while it was dive-bombing you? :eek:

After enduring two attacks, I get just a wee bit fearful when I see large birds fly over me.

Regards,
Marty
We're in the club too, but that is an amazing shot! Ours turned around and gave us 2 passes, before we ran off! :eek:

This is the nesting season, so it's not terribly surprising.

My favorite episode was when Marlin set Jim in a blind made of sticks on the altiplano in the Andes. Jim's got a dead rabbit in his hand, stuck through the top of the blind, and a condor takes the bait. There's Jim fighting for his life against a pissed-off condor with a 20 foot wingspan, and Marlin's about 100 yards away yelling "Hold on Jim, hold on".

Great photos Jason. I remember watching all those Wild Kingdom shows many years ago. How about Marty Stoeffer from Wild America. Another forerunner of nature shows. Trudy the terrier, cool dog, reminds me of another famous hiking shanauzer from New Hampshire.

Donna:)

Goss hawks

The first time I encountered Goss Hawks I was attacked from back and front by a nesting pair. I had no idea what they were. I told them I was a human and they should be afraid of me. I was totally ignored. I did the only thing I could think to do. I got the hell out of there.

I looked in a bird book when I got home. I identified them as Goss Hawks. It said they could be quite aggressive. My first response was no shit. They have a wing span of 42" and fly through the woods like a rocket. They would come as close a 5 feet from me.

I'm sure this has a lot to do with my personality, but this thread feels like a dare :p ... I head to Midcoast Maine next week and I'm thinking it might be time to visit Frohock Mountain, in the Camden Hills, where goshawks allegedly nest. I would never get too close purposefully, but I WILL bring the camera in case :D

My favorite episode was when Marlin set Jim in a blind made of sticks on the altiplano in the Andes. Jim's got a dead rabbit in his hand, stuck through the top of the blind, and a condor takes the bait. There's Jim fighting for his life against a pissed-off condor with a 20 foot wingspan, and Marlin's about 100 yards away yelling "Hold on Jim, hold on".

Marlin never looked like the physical type and he was old when I was a kid. Back when that was shot they didn't have too much to work with in the field. Proabable a 16mm sound camera and a one person film crew. Those shows were a rugged experiences in the field. Some of the beautiful nature shots/films now were unimaginable back then.

I bet the wore cotten too.