What's the oldest piece of gear you own and still use?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erugs

Reaction score
Back in the late sixties I bought my first pair of gaiters from EMS in Boston. They are tan in color and shapped like a tube. You slide your foot into it and then lace it up through a series of about a dozen grommet holes. They were a great investment that I still use to this day.

Great thread!

Mine is a blue and gold Cub Scouts bandana, that I have used since the early 60's. I used it as recently as yesterday, when hiking with VFTT members Sapblatt and RLBoeri. Marty

In 1971 I bought a Mt Everest expedition Parka from Eddie Bauer, when they were outfitters. It was rated at -70f. 8 lbs. of goosedown and a wolf fur collared hood. It's still the warmest parka I own. I use it when I ski Whiteface in the Adirondack's when it gets down to -20 f.I still have and use a down mummy sleeping bag from Eddie Bauer from 1968.

Last edited:
My brain! Still working great and in keeping with modern times it's a lot lighter than in the old days. Must be those supplements.

I have a wooden handled Inter Alp ice ax that I bought in 1980. It still "works" fine but I did finally breakdown and purchased a BD Raven this winter. I'll still take the wooden one for walks though....it's like an old friend that's been on most of my journeys.

Neil said:
My brain!
I had to upgrade mine. The old one was too full of holes... Probably from too much of my special salsa... For my upgrade, I got the discount model.. doesn'T re3cognize colors, has problems handling the number 6, doesn'T know how to tie shoes (I love velccro) and is horrible at spelling.. (anyone who has read my posts knows that.)

Since it isn'T that, my oldest piece of gear is probably a feul bottle that I have.. Bought it in 69 with my Svea. Someone (If I still had my old brain I'd remember who) stole my original svea, but my new one looks just like it.

a chouinard (the pre-patagucci days) creagh dubh rucksack. but technically i don't use it now cause i can't find it, but i loved that pack like a son. also a chouinard piolet ice ax i got from my ol' daddy. he also has a minus 20 holubar down bag that is way oldschool.

the thing i still use daily is a swiss army knife i got when i was 17 and workin' condo maintenance in aspen. i went to the hardware store there and charged it to my employers account since i wore it on my belt and used it daily. i still use it everyday to open wine bottles.

and a shoutout to those ol' brass svea stoves fo' sho'! i don't use one these days, but i have it somewhere.

maybe i drink too much. :D :eek: :) :eek: :D :)

I still use a striped maple hiking stick I cut from a sapling back in the early '80s. It's like 5' tall and basically resembles the staff of Moses. It's been my loyal hiking companion on most of my high peak hikes. Great when descending and keeping my balance when crossing wet areas. Unfortunately, the bottom after all of these years, is starting to split in a few places, even though it is fitted with a rubber cup. Hopefully, with some glue and TLC it will provide a few more seasons of service.

Silverware in color at least

A set of "eat ware", knife, fork and spoon from my fathers WWII mess kit. They are dated 1945. I also have his old canvas cargo pack from the same era. On my AT thru-hike I may carry the spoon just for nostalgic purposes.

About once a year I hike in my '64 Limmers: brown leather, brass hooks.
I still prefer to tote skis and boots to Tuck lashed to my Army wood/canvas packboard (1940s) purchased in late '50s in an Army/Navy store.
Last week, as I tightened my (new) crampons in high wind on the icy summit of Mt.Lincoln, the space between my glove and parka was kept warm by a pair of wristlets knitted by my great-grandmother in the 1920s.

For NH_Mtn_Hiker:

00110110 01100101 01001001 01001001 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100000 01110011 01101111 01101101 01000101 01110100 01101000 01101001 01101110 01000111 00100000 01001001 00100000 01100100 01101111 01101110 01110100 00100000 01001011 01101110 01101111 01110111 00100001 :D

My Boy Scout compass. It dates to the 1960s (I quit the BSA about 1970 I think; I have no idea when I acquired the compass, but it was certainly some time before that), and I bring it along on every hike. I rarely pull it out of my pack, but I did several times last year, so I do still use it.

Since I mtbed before I started hiking, and also rode BMX and my 10spd before I mtbed, my older gear tends to be bike related, i.e. bike clothes, socks, etc. I have an old Cannondale water bottle that is from the 80s, It's got velcro around it and the bottle holder was simply a "half" cyclinder that has the velcro on it so the bottle would simply stick to the holder.

I also had my 10spd Ross Compact for a bit before I gave that to a friend. I gave my old BMW Schwinn to my nephew...

I also still use a pair of Diadora Jalapeno II MTB shoes with Time ATAC cleats on it to commute and bike tour. That was my first pair of clipless shoes and probably dates to 1995/1996.

Hiking wise, I'm still using my first pair of trekking poles, a pair of Komperdell ultralites from STP but that's not too old, just scratched to hell and one pole slightly bent. Maybe my Smith Sliders I use sometimes when bushwacking...

Jay

I have a pair of binoculars that I inherited from my dad that are probably at least 40 years old or so. Although they add on a little more weight to my pack, and are a little scratched up, I just can't seem to buy a lighter and smaller pair.

Nice thread!