Where to go!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prino

Reaction score
I know there are a lot of people on here who are more familiar with the Whites than I am, so thought I'd ask you for some suggestions.

I am planning to meet up with some friends coming up from Boston to hike with me. They are newcomers to the states from Europe and are very keen to experience the mountains of the northeast.

We plan to meet up early on the 15th ... Saturday morning, hike a 4K and preferably stay at a hut in the mountains and then hike out on Sunday. Is that feasible? Are the huts booked up at this point or can we get cancellations?

Thanks
-Phil

The 3 that are open are Carter Notch, Zealand and Lonesome Lake.

And the hikes in, at least, are in that descending order of difficulty. You certainly have a decent selection of 4kers around each hut. Depending on the makeup of the group, you might conclude that (for example) the smaller bunk rooms at Carter or Lonesome are appropriate. For sheer ruggedness and a relative feeling of remoteness, Carter wins among the three (IMHO)...

If you want to add a more leisurely hike that will surely impress them, check out Arethusa Falls on US-302. It's gorgeous (maybe NH's best waterfall) and only 3.2 miles round trip.

For food in the area, my favorites are Moat Mtn Brewery or Flatbread on the North Conway side (NH 16) or maybe the Common Man in Ashland on the I-93 side.

All three of those huts are awesome and each have A-quality views nearby. My favorite is probably Carter since it seems more rugged (and less family-ish) to me.

I'm partial to Zealand - You can put together some nice loops around there - Zeacliff (and throw in an out & back to Zealand Mt, Hale, Tom/Field/Willey. There aren't many better views than in Zealand Notch. Thoreau Falls, Shoal Pond, and Ethan Pond - all worthy destinations for a look-see just off the Ethan Pond Trail.

My vote would be for hiking up Cannon and staying at Lonesome Lake hut. Zealand is just not that magnificent of a peak, even though the hike into the hut and up to Zeacliff outlook is nice. Cannon is a short-mileage hike (but steep), but is dramatic enough that it should impress your friends. Plus, there's a bunch of more "touristy" places they could also visit in Franconia Notch.

Just make sure they spend a little money on some kind of traction devices...there's enough ice out on the trails at this time of year that taking a person new to the Whites up there without traction might make it their first and last trip.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies! Lot's of choices there. I've actually seen Carter hut but not stayed there, I did Carter Dome as a day trip many years ago and it's true it is nice wild setting. As for the other 2 they would be new to me so it's all good!!

I've also checked the Randolph Mountain club website for their huts which seem like a good deal. I think I remember Sherpa K and Bob raving about them a while back.

Thanks again for the input!
Can't wait to get back to the Whites....It's been too long!

BobC Good call on the Crampons, I'll make sure we're all well "shod" :)

-Phil

So the friends from Europe hike? If Heading above 3500 you may want some type of traction. There is also a Conway if you want to do a couple of smaller day trips with views & not have to carry your bedding & your food.

So the friends from Europe hike?

Yes they sure do! I want to try and repay them for taking me here...Tatras

If Heading above 3500 you may want some type of traction.

We'll carry Crampons or at least Microspikes!

There is also a Conway if you want to do a couple of smaller day trips with views & not have to carry your bedding & your food.

Is "a Conway" a hut I don't know about? I must admit not having to carry a lot of extra gear does sound appealing.