Which of the ADK 46 are *easier* in winter?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J.Dub

Reaction score
Having endured the mud-fest on Colvin and Blake a coupla weeks back, I'm kinda looking forward to winter hiking (and ice climbing, 'natch...). My three winter peaks so far are Algonquin, Colden and Giant.

For the Winter 46ers out there -- or anybody who's done a lot of winter ADK hiking -- which, if any, of the peaks are preferrable to tackle in winter, due to easier bushwhacking, otherwise rocky trails filled-in with snow, etc.

What say ye...?

There is a list right here that is very good in my opinion.

Actually Blake is one of my favorite winter hikes because it is all a big snow flume of butt sliding all the way down and with the snow covering the blowdown you can walk out and get amazing views of the Great Range peaks.

I liked Street and Nye. Had a blast just coming straight down through the snow in the pine trees with snow shoes. Didn't have to go back and forth just straight down till we hit the frozen river. Did it in February. Lots of fun great memories.

:D

A lot of it depends on the exact conditions, but if you can get a hard packed, broken trail, on a nice day, you can make excellent time on many of them.

If you are into butt sliding the downhills can go very quickly.

Also to consider is this: You can make excellent time crossing the frozen lakes, such as Lake Colden, Flowed Lands, and Avalanche Lake. If the ice is hard, smooth, and snow free, and the wind is at your back, it's a thing of beauty! :D You also save distance and therefore time in some cases as well.

For example, our approach to Up-Hill Lean-to from the Loj only took 3 hours in Winter because we flew over the lakes.

J. Dub, are you asking the question like, "if I have to do the 46 which ones should I try to get out of the way with snow on the ground?".

J. Dub, are you asking the question like, "if I have to do the 46 which ones should I try to get out of the way with snow on the ground?".

I think he's looking at filling out his winter list, but unless he's taking his kids, he should be banging out some tough ones while he's still in shape. :eek:

Dub: you got Marcy, Phelps, Wright and Iroquois on the To Do list right ? Those can be knocked out in a weekend, We should consider Neil's ADKHighPeaks Feb 20 gathering.

Yeah, the simple "rules" would be a peak can count for each person in your group. Say you two go and as a team you do TableTop and Phelps. One of you would "officially' count for TT and one would count for Phelps.

TT by the way is a great one to do in winter compared to the rest of the season in which it is often a muddy ditch.

Chip said:
I think he's looking at filling out his winter list, but unless he's taking his kids, he should be banging out some tough ones while he's still in shape. :eek:

Now listen here, biznatch....

Chip said:
Dub: you got Marcy, Phelps, Wright and Iroquois on the To Do list right ? Those can be knocked out in a weekend, We should consider Neil's ADKHighPeaks Feb 20 gathering.

Yeah, I thought about that. Was thinking about mebbe doing Trap Dyke as part of that event, but I already have a winter ascent of Colden, so it would just be a fun ice climb and wouldn't further my 46er list. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

My thoughts were to knock out some peaks this winter that I haven't climbed at all yet, thereby getting me closer to exalted 46er status, while also counting towards the W46. I'll eventually have to go back and do Marcy, Phelps, Wright and Iroquois in winter, but since I've already done them (non-winter) they weren't at the head of the list. Gray/Skylight/Redfield would make for a nice weekend trip, perhaps from the Opalescent LT?

ColdRiverRun said:
Yeah, the simple "rules" would be a peak can count for each person in your group. Say you two go and as a team you do TableTop and Phelps. One of you would "officially' count for TT and one would count for Phelps.

Uh...dunno what kinda wacky rulez Neil has in place, but if the two of us climb two peaks, I'm counting both. (Harumph!)

ColdRiverRun said:
TT by the way is a great one to do in winter compared to the rest of the season in which it is often a muddy ditch.

Roger that. Wish I knew this before doing Phelps and TT last October. <slaps head>

I'm asking the question like, "I'm gonna do all 46, so if there are any that are a PITA in summer but easier in the winter, I'll hit those when the snow flies."

Uh...dunno what kinda wacky rulez Neil has in place, but if the two of us climb two peaks, I'm counting both. (Harumph!).

They'd certainly count for you. That "rule" is only regarding Neil's ADK HighPeaks get together. They're trying to cover each peak that day. So from what I understand, if 2 people did 2 peaks, one peak would count for each person for that day, for them.

I'm asking the question like, "I'm gonna do all 46, so if there are any that are a PITA in summer but easier in the winter, I'll hit those when the snow flies."

:rolleyes: Nancy !

A number of peaks are easy in winter

Cascade, Phelps, Algonquin, Colden, and even Marcy.

Roger that. Wish I knew this before doing Phelps and TT last October. <slaps head>

Iroquois is another deep, muddy trail in other seasons, along with between Donaldson and Emmons for a short distance. Of course the Santanoni's is another big muddy mess along the Bradley Pond trail.