Who's going for the 4,000 -footer winter record this year?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It seems that the faster ascents and route finding -- and very little real trail breaking -- would maybe trump the treacherous descents. I'm currently seeing lots of NE trail conditions reports from lots of different 4000 footers, so it's not like the dangerous conditions are keeping most winter hikers away.

As for a possible asterix, the only qualification for winter is that the hike has to be done between Dec. 20/21 to March 20/21, specific date depending on the year of course. It's a given that New England winter hiking is a crap shoot anyway; conditions vary from one day/week/month to the next and can never be the same from record to record. I'm sure the 'punch bowl poopers' could come up with a multitude of reasons why someone's 'record time' should be followed by asterix. :p Ignore the naysayers! :)

But what do I know? I'm sittin' here staring at my computer screen all warm and cozy on the West Coast...

Last edited:
Sooo... it seems current conditions in the Whites would be favorable for a winter record pursuer, no? Really? No one is going to try for sub 7 days this winter???

:D:confused::cool:

The ice is bad this year, the road walks are all thick glare ice. Long Valley approaches are frozen, bumpy ice walks. Just spent 23 miles yesterday in full traction and I'm feeling pretty beat up. This would be a tough year for it. We need snow!

Last edited:
Unless you have some type of sponsorship with requirements I can't see how telling anyone besides the standing "record" holder out of courtesy should be a requirement.

Nobody said anything about requirements, and why does the previous record holder deserve special treatment - it would seem that if you don't announce your attempt in advance because you're afraid somebody will plant punji stakes on the way, that's the last one you'd want to tell :)

But for "followers" it's much more exciting to read about each day right after it happens and speculate about the days to come than it is to just get a report at the end. And employers everywhere no doubt want to shoot the guy that took a SPOT beacon :)

Last edited: