Winter shovel, nice to have or need to have

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

critter

Reaction score
Last winter was my first season of winter camping, and as most of you know the snow depths in the ADK High peaks were not that great for most of the winter. There was only one trip that I would have liked to have a shovel for setting up camp. My question is whether or not it is a piece of gear that is worth carrying. So what are some of the pros and cons, what can you use it for? The only con I can think of, is the weight after the cost of purchasing it. I have only camped below treeline and don't plan on camping above treeline. Also I only plan on camping in the ADK High peaks, not going to the Whites just yet.

I've never used a shovel for setting up camp. The first step is always to walk around and carefully, using snowshoes, pack down the site as much as possible. This will flatten and level it in most cases. Then it must sit and compact for a while. Step carefully and flat-ly while setting up the tent, changing clothes, or boiling water. Eventually, after an hour or so like this, especially if at sunset, you'll be able to stand on it in bare boots (or down booties). At that point, the snowshoes become a surrogate shovel for any fine-tuning that's necessary (like a cathole).

I will admit I've only done this with my big honkin' Atlas snowshoes; I suspect with the MSR's it would not work as well.

A full-size shovel in the car, however, that's a necessity for getting out of the parking lot if it gets snowed in.

The only time I've ever packed a shovel was for venturing into avalanche terrain, not just for camping. The weight and cumbrance isn't worth it. As MichaelJ said, snowshoes can double as shovels fairly effectively in most cases.
However, the shovel always stays in my car! I've needed it to pass through snowdrifts on remote roads, as well as digging out of a parking lot. It goes in the car in November and stays put until May (or June, if I'm feeling optimistic.)

critter said:
Last winter was my first season of winter camping, and as most of you know the snow depths in the ADK High peaks were not that great for most of the winter. There was only one trip that I would have liked to have a shovel for setting up camp. My question is whether or not it is a piece of gear that is worth carrying. So what are some of the pros and cons, what can you use it for? The only con I can think of, is the weight after the cost of purchasing it. I have only camped below treeline and don't plan on camping above treeline. Also I only plan on camping in the ADK High peaks, not going to the Whites just yet.

I carry mine mainly if I need to dig myself a trench or something equivalent for an emergency shelter. I'm sure that using a shovel would require less energy than using a showshoe. Also, it's fairly easy to dig out your vestibule with a shovel for a bit of extra room.

It also has a snowblade in it, which is pretty sweet to quickly construct a wall to block off the wind.

I guess it's not a must if you're not travelling in avy terrain though and there are ways around lugging one everywhere.

Fish

I carry a steel garden shovel in my car. Great for breaking through ice or frozen plow piles. Too heavy to carry on the trail.

For avy rescue, don't waste your time with a plastic blade. The avy debris sets up like a rock very quickly and a metal (generally aluminum) blade is necessary to cut through it effectively. Plastic blades have also been known to break at inopportune moments...

If you are camping on a steep slope, a shovel can be very handy for making a level platform. Skis and snowshoes are fine for packing the platform but aren't very good for moving snow. Also if you hope to build a snow cave, snow-pile shelter, or igloo, a shovel is far more effective than skis, snowshoes, a cooking pot, or your hands.

Doug

I brought mine on one winter outing. Started building a snow wall around the tent to block the wind, after about 10 minutes we decided to forget that idea and just crash out in our bags since we were exhausted from the hike.

It always stays with me in the car though.

-Shayne

A shovel is a great way to make sure that you can get a nice fire going. Shovel a good size pit (6+ feet round) to bare ground and use dry barkless wood and you'll be happy that you did. You'll have a nice warm, relatively smokeless fire with a place to sit.

I carry a small avalanche shovel with a collapsible handle,for winter camping. It can be very handy for cutting snow walls,or fire pits as SK mentioned,or just for helping to quickly level off a tentsite.

And if the conditions are right,it makes a terrific sled!

I'm out West, so conditions may be different, but I wouldn't go out in winter without a shovel. I've even carried one on day hikes. I have a Voile Mini metal bladed shovel. Backcountry skiiers almost always carry a shovel, especially in avalanche country. I don't really do steep backcountry skiing, but on my last winter ski camping trip in Yosemite, I used my shovel for all kinds of things - digging out my tent platform, including a footwell in the front; digging a latrine, scooping up snow for melting water and digging myself a small "refrigerator" to store my food.

I think a shovel is well worth it's weight for winter. I haven't had to dig out my car, yet, but it could happen.

btw, I have a Sno-Claw too. They are nice to sit on, but pretty useless as a shovel.

Last edited:
I carry mine for group trips where we might set up base camp for a few days and do peaks. It comes in handy for the reasons others have said.
I wouldn't carry it on a dayhike, preferring to leave it in Basecamp. Nor, would I carry it if I were backpacking alone in the winter.

Rick said:
I carry mine for group trips where we might set up base camp for a few days and do peaks. It comes in handy for the reasons others have said.
I wouldn't carry it on a dayhike, preferring to leave it in Basecamp. Nor, would I carry it if I were backpacking alone in the winter.

Hmm, I backpack alone and that's why I carry it. :)

I don't, typically, carry a shovel on day trips unless going above treeline, but always carry it (mostly on a sled) on overnight trips. It's a handy tool for digging that fire pit as was mentioned previously and for putting up a snow wall or creating a shelter. That is if we actually have snow.

Tom Rankin said:
For a lightweight solution, check out:

http://www.snowclaw.com/

They have the super light plastic model, and a stronger, heavier aluminum version.

The plastic models also work well for splinting. I have only usually carried one of these for backcountry skiing in the east out of avy terrain for emergency trench building and also for a seat on lunch break. They donot make or really work well for any chopping of harder snow.

I carry and use a shovel for many of the above mentioned reasons. I have quivered numerous shovels over the years. This has been due to need of use, size of group, terrain and existing or potential trail/weather conditions. One size/type of shovel does not always work in every situation; at least for me. I will also agree with Doug stay away from the LIFELINKstyle shovel ...I have seen them snap more than once..chopping hard snow usually does them in. :eek:. Even though there is a life time GUARANTEE
it's a little tough to take advantage of it at the time when it potetially could break and be in a situation where you may really need it.

Last edited:
Here is what I carry. It is virtually indestructable doesn't weigh that much and packs pretty small. I have used one for years. Nothing matches it. Has the added advantage that it the blade can be set to act as a hoe with the blade perpendicular to the handle for scooping out large amounts of material. Usually can be found for around $15. The US Army trifold entrenching tool. I also carry one in my truck. Been using them now for 30 years and it has never failed. Most of my winter camping is done with a pulk anyway so weight really isn't an issue. Even if I didn't have the pulk I would still carry this. Its too valuable to leave at home in the winter.

3177MYRW57L._SS500_.jpg

Keith

Last edited: