Yet another Whitewall Trip Report, Saturday Aug 28, 2010

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

una_dogger

Reaction score
I've really been wanting to get to Whitewall, and as luck would have it, Rocket21 asked me if I'd be interested this past saturday. Knowing that MichaelJ was also very keen on Whitewall, I didn't feel a bit of guilt committing us without really discussing it. :) Afterall, we will be married in a few weeks, and he really needs to get used to my way of doing things. :D

We collaborated with Forestgnome, who's spent alot of time on Whitewall, and after discussing many important factors; with doggability being the most serious issue concerning us all, we made a solid plan.

We met at Zealand; and low and behold it was like a hiker convention in the parking lot. First we encountered ScenicNH taking down his tripod along the roadside by the lake. Then in the parking lot, we met up with Mad Hatter, Boo, Poison Ivy, and ScenicNH again. There was also a subaru with a Maine plate and a VfTT sticker, but we didn't recognize that one.

Pretty soon, a half hour after we got there, I stated that we better get going before more friends and acquaintances arrived. Off we struck, down the trail, chatting happily. Its seems like the summer has come and gone, with too much time between visits and hikes, and it was good to catch up.

As often "is" with bushwacking, there is a difference of opinion as to where to start. I had been by this area of the Ethan Pond Trail last weekend, and had scoped what I figured to be "the place" to ascend. There were conflicting ideas, and we evaluated them all, in all fairness, because, that's just what friends do. In the end, we started where I thought. But that's where my decisions ended, because I'd never been up Whitewall, or a slide quite like this one, and my attention was focused on the group, and especially, Little Terra, with her Ruff Wear Griptex Booties, and making sure we all stayed together and happy.

Climbing the scree slope was actually not very physically challenging, but mentally, it required care. So many large rocks poised on teeny ones, like cruel fulcrums waiting to dislodge their heavy burdens. We made good work of the slide, no one sending any rocks down, and Terra, while apparently somewhat confused at the absence of visual or scent trail -- followed us in good dog hearted trust.

About 750 feet up, we reached the beginning of the bottleneck area where the adjacent walls of the canyon frame the slide. Above us, the standard bottleneck approach looked sandy and active. Patrick suggested we head into a right hand gully, just above his "knife edge" approach from a recent climb. The base was jagged and wet, but the majority of this line was solid, stable slab with some fine loose scree, and much more dog friendly.

We followed this line until we came to the top of the gully, then veered upward, sometimes circumnavigating small cliffs. There was plenty of vegetation and I could sense Terra, and feel myself, relaxing knowing we were back in the land of the living.

Looking across the canyon to the head wall on the other side, I was so impressed to be in this place, seeing a mirror image of what we were now standing precariously upon, well, there just are no words for it. Its one of those times where I just feel in awe of the power of nature, ego-less and full of gratitude for the ability and opportunity to witness.

Some scary steep scrambles and we were near the top, on fine, open flat ledges with amazing 360 views. We spent a good deal of time here. It was a great feeling to see such a solitary and breathtaking view, one I'd only be seeing because of the kindness of friends.

We wacked to the true summit, through open meadows interspersed with spruce and blueberry. It seems that there aren't many people who venture here, and even fewer who take the slide approach, but all were those we know or know of. Small world we hikers live in.

We chose to descend via the North Slope, and spent the next couple of hours meandering through open birch glades filled with golden rod, hobblebush, fireweed, and ferns. An American Lady butterfly danced along in front of us. Evidence of bear and moose were everywhere. The afternoon sky was bluer than I can remember. There was some silence punctuated by exclamations of beauty, joy and remembrance. It was a good day. Terra picked up several scent trails, and scurried here and there. I learned a little bit more about each of the people I was with. I stopped thinking about my everyday responsibilities and played in the woods with reckless abandon. I learned that bumble bees like to be petted.

And at the end of it, scraped legs, sunburned shoulders, and muddy wet shoes, I just kept thinking, "Holy smokes. We climbed Whitewall. Now isn't that something".

Pictures here:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=70073&id=1049077637&l=18a71eb76c

Last edited:
Huh? You didn't know bumble bees like to be petted? I thought everyone petted them. Their fur is so soft ;)

Great job telling the story of the hike. Here's a few more pics...

The moose I saw at sunrise at Wildlife Pond...you can tell the rut is beginning when you see adult moose gathering together...

IMG_7666aaa.jpg

climbing the slides...

IMG_4207aaa.jpg

a drink for Terra...

IMG_4244aaa.jpg

Jeremy (Rocket21) taking in the views above the slides...

IMG_4248aaa.jpg

Sabrina and Terra on the upper ledges near the top...

IMG_4256aaa.jpg

Terra waiting patiently...

IMG_4261aaa.jpg

Jeremy, Michael, Sabrina, and Terra at the top...

IMG_4273aaa.jpg

the happy couple...awwww...

IMG_4274aaa.jpg

Sabrina entering the birch glades on the northern slopes...

IMG_4280aaa.jpg

These birch glades are very beautiful and they stretch nearly the entire slope if you pick your path just right...

IMG_4330aaa.jpg

a day of sunshine and smiles...

IMG_4305aaa.jpg

Thanks Sabrina, Michael, Terra, and Jeremy for an awesome day of hiking. And it was very nice to meet Boo, Madhatter, and Poison Ivy.

happy trails

Last edited:
Great report, makes me want to do it again! Looking down from the slide into the notch, I see that the little pond is dry...that's unusual, I think.

Kudos to Terra. Not all dogs would be happy on those boulders.

An amazing hike! I'm getting addicted to slides despite my fear of heights, the views were unbeatable, and how can you go wrong in a birch glade with *chest-high* ferns and great footing?

My photos and movies are delayed due to computer death. Upon recovery I'll post.

Wow, thanks to my hiking companions for a terrific day.

All that said, this is not a casual hike. That slide/talus slope is very steep and very unstable. There were a few moves required at the ledges above it where one slip would have been the end. There's real danger up there. The 'whack out could be easy or miserable depending on your route-finding skills. There were also several extremely wet sections, some of which held thigh-deep trekking-pole-sucking mud despite the near-drought conditions of the past weeks. Use caution if you attempt this peak.

Great trip report. I love the birch glades - remind me of the ones below Mt. Hale. It seems early for the Hobblebush to be changing colors but then I find myself saying that it "seems early" for a lot lately.

The thing for me about these glades is that they were shorter trees with twisting limbs, a wide canopy, and very sparse. It was more like an apple orchard of birches.

Thanks for posting those awesome pictures, Forestgnome!

Audrey -- it was great fun. While I would love to approach Whitewall from Ethan Pond someday, I don't plan to return Terra to the slide. She did just fine -- but its not something worth her repeating. For the dog owners out there who may consider this hike with their pup, one thing that stood out in my mind was that I wouldn't want to do this with a rambunctious dog due to the risk of kicking up loose rockfall. Another factor is that rocks can get hot and burn dogs feet on sunny days; and irregular rocks can be a challenge and/or cause foot injuries/bruising/rip off nails -- so rock booties are a good safety measure. There is also no water until the top. There were a few pitches that required boosting her up. She's 50 pounds. It would be difficult to lift a larger dog on a steep incline and rough terrain. And finally, being prepared to downclimb with your dog if they are too stressed or balking. I'm really glad I didn't have to do that. Hope this helps address any questions or concerns anyone may be pondering about. :)

A gentleman on N Twin sunday asked if Terra was a veteran, I'd have to say <quite proudly at that>, "yes, she is"!. Good dog!

Last edited:
Wow - what an amazing trek! Sabrina said it in words and Patrick captured it in pictures. Definitely a plug for "the road less traveled".

And at the end of it, scraped legs, sunburned shoulders, and muddy wet shoes, I just kept thinking, "Holy smokes. We climbed Whitewall. Now isn't that something".
Doesn't get any better than that.

Hi Hikes-with-Him :
We were going through all the names of Maine-living-Suby driving-friends (there are actually a handful!) and MJ did say he thought it was perhaps you.
Hope to meet up with you on the trails someday. In response to your question, Heaven's NO! Whitewall is not a trailed peak and not on the 48er list. I believe its on the 3k List, the 777?

We just did it for fun. Its nice to get off the beaten path and see familiar views from a different perspective.

Still waiting for my computer to be repaired (needs new logic board, thankfully it will be free) but should get my pics posted sometime next week. I hope.