Yosemite - New Years '07!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carmel

Reaction score
S. Dartmouth MA, Seekonk MA Avatar: Kauai
IF you don’t want to read this all…summary is on the bottom of Part 2.

http://community.webshots.com/user/carm11w

11/29/06 - As some of you know, I had to leave the day after Christmas to go to work in L.A. I was a little bummed, because I had planned to spend New Year’s in N. Conway, so what was I going to do in L.A. all by myself? I was planning on maybe hitting up Mexico, relaxing and drinking all weekend until Friday morning, when I had a novel idea, why not go to Yosemite? I had decided, I was going, despite Darren trying to convince me I was crazy and I was going to end up getting into a car accident or stranded in a blizzard…regardless of the method, somehow I was going to end up dying on this trip.

So, anyways, after I got out of work, I headed to REI to rent some gear (there is nothing more annoying than renting or buying gear you already own) and got some other camping supplies from a coworker. I had called Yosemite and apparently there wasn’t a spot available in the park other than the camping option. So, anyways, I made the 6 hour drive to Yosemite and got there in the dark. I definitely was freaked out driving the icy-curvy roads with the big trees all alone in the dark. One other car passed me going way to fast, I found him two miles later, he was backwards, in a snow bank…he wasn’t driving with intelligence. :) I pulled over to look at my map once, but I was sure there were animals and little girl killers lurking in the woods ready to eat me alive, so I decided to toss the map and just keep on driving. I was getting too freaked out…those roads are lonely…but SOOOO COOOL! (I kinda like the eeriness of it a little bit). I was so overwhelmed and excited just to be there, my heart was beating double time!

Finally I made it to the camp site. Some other campers were there by the fire and helped me set up my tent and we got to chit chatting.

Anyways, within 15 minutes after my tent was up and I was unpacked, I was asked if I wanted to go rock climbing the next day. I was a little embarrassed, as I’m SO out of shape (after damaging my Achilles almost a year ago combined with much laziness), but I figured, why the heck not!?!? I don’t know anyone and it will be fun to give it a shot
(my second time ever), so I agreed!

12/30/06 – Didn’t sleep so well last night! I was a little chilly, and I was definitely missing my hot water bottle and Mtn. Hardware down jacket!!! I have two areas where if its cold, I can’t even think about sleeping…my toes and my bum. Well, my bum was frozen, and it took those heat pads a long time to warm it up (don’t comment on that please…I know, I know.) I woke up in good spirits tho, excited for a new adventure with new people and a new activity. We headed to the base of El Capitan....two of the guys set the ropes for everyone else and wallah…here I was rock climbing randomly in Yosemite…Nice. Unfortunately I was too busy to go all the way up to the top, I’m sure you all know how THAT goes. I was pretty satisfied with my performance….my body was throbbing afterwards, all my limbs felt like jelly…and my leg looked like a sewing machine thing going up and down…(know what I’m saying?) I’d put my heel down to make it stop, and then my glute was all messed up!

After my short climb, due to extreme exhaustion, I made a little hike out to mirror lake. It was a perfect length for the few hours of daylight I had. Apparently mirror lake is a lot bigger in the spring and the summer…I was more impressed with the nice little trail in the valley than the lake itself. There were patches of snow everywhere, mixed with redish trees, and this neon green moss, I don’t know if the pictures will show it, my monitor sucks. Anyways, it was a nice little hike after my climb to stretch my legs.

I hit up the cafeteria (I know its lame, I should have cooked on my stove, but I was on vacation) with the rock climbers I climbed with in the morning and hit the sack as early as I could! What an AWESOME day!!!!!

Last edited:
Yosemite - New Year's '07 Part 2

12/31/06 – Woke up at 6 AM to hike up to Nevada Falls, if anyone had hiked Half Dome, they probably went up this trail. Because it was winter, I had to hike along the road for maybe ¾ mile, then started up the Mist Trail across a bridge to hop onto the John Muir/Fall? Trail, then across another bridge back onto the Mist Trail, to backtrack to the John Muir trail and to the bridge above Nevada Falls. It was a little overcast in the morning, but the sun broke out before I hit the Falls. The sun was nice and warm and I enjoyed my lunch on the rocks above the falls. I hadn’t seen one person ALL morning. With a park full to its max. capacity, I’m not really sure what people were doing with their time….on my way back down I did see some people that were walking the lower part of the trail…hmmm…all in jeans, uggs, and stilettos =0). One yuppy man with a decent beer belly got really mad at me when I told him he had another hour walk to Vernal Falls…he was a real baby. I’d be too embarrassed to admit it even if I was that much of a wimp, he could have pretended to be a little tougher :) . Still I just chuckled, I was having a FABULOUS weekend!

I think I went over six hours without seeing anyone on the trail…

Celebrated with my new friends over pizza and wine, stayed awake enough to celebrate the East Coast New Year and hit the sack because I had to get in another full day tomorrow!

1/1/07 – Packed up my tent, and took a bus up Badger Pass to take some XC ski lessons and see what I could do. I had been once with Darren in the town forest for like 30 minutes with some skis from the 70’s, I learned decent skis make a difference.

My goal was to leave the park by 2. Yeah, I couldn’t do it, after my 2 hour lesson, I was so excited I could go both UP hill and DOWN hill and sometimes stop, I decided to make the trek out to Dewey Point.

About an 8 mile trip from where I started…I had 3 hours and 40 minutes to do it as I had to return my rental and catch the last bus by 4:00. The 2:00 plan went out the window, I was going to milk every last second here! I thought I was a pro going out to Dewey point. I was hauling, had a few good dumps, but nothing major, I was on a mission! Ok, all I have to say, it was worth the work to get there, the trail was GORGEOUS, (my pics don’t show any hard parts of the trail because I was just trying to avoid trees and not die, I was concentrating). There was 3 miles RT of the diamond trail, if that even means anything.

By the time I reached Dewey Point, I had gained a little confidence, and was pretty happy with my performance :) . I had a lot of fun going out there too, the trail was just fun, new and exciting! I was liking this whole ski thing. I tried to quickly snap some pix and then inhaled some gushers and a granola bar, taped up my blister, and took off back the way I came.

The thing is, making it out there, was only half way, coming back…well, whoooo….man…. What little pathetic form I had acquired that morning was now gone, I was skiing on my bones, rather than using my muscles, my muscles were all jelly anyways. I must have fell a hundred times (well, maybe i'm exagerating), I hit trees, snowbanks, fell into powder that was deeper than me. I felt like a cartoon a few times when I was upside down in the snow with just my skies waving around in the air, poking out of the snow! I thought, great, I’m going to have to get SARed because I’ve fallen in some snow and I’m laughing too hard to get back up. How embarrassing, stuck in a pile of snow. But, I was determined to make it back…and before 4:00 too! Well, I cheered myself on the whole way back to the trail head, had some gorp for a celebration dinner, when I realized I had not only made it back in time, but I had 35 minutes to spare…think about how many more trees I could have hit if I took my time!!

On the bus ride back to the valley, the sun was setting, while everything glowed pink and purple, red and gold! It was breath taking, what a wonderful place! OF course, I was on a bus, so I can’t share the views with my photos…ah well.

I limped to my car, in my own glorious agony…aching bones, sore muscles, and blistered feet…but with a big huge smile :D , and headed back to LA. Both devastated that I had to leave, but high on my wonderful weekend. Funny how sometimes random decisions can make some of the best memories. Who would have thought that I’d go to Yosemite Solo to have what I would consider the best New Year’s Weekend I’ve ever had.

SUMMARY
1/29/07 – Decided to go to Yosemite from LA…Arrived.
1/30/07 – Morning:Rock Climbed…Afternoon: Hiked to Mirror Lake
1/31/07 – Hiked to Nevada Falls
1/1/07 – XC Ski lessons and death ski. Left park back to LA.

http://community.webshots.com/user/carm11w

Last edited:
GIRL . . . you are awesome !!!
What an adventure :D

I was a little worried about you when you calmly informed me that you should be fine with you 2 sweatshirts to keep you warm. I was happy when Brian told me you were safe and climbed El Capitain (and I thought he was kidding) :)

Anyway, glad you are safe and had a blast from the sounds of it.

I'll talk to you soon,

sli74

Great report. You have a lot of guts.

Awesome! What a way to take some time and go far beyond just making the most of it. And such great pics, too. Nicely done!

WOW!
Have not read the whole trip report yet, but will at lunch.
The photos are, of course, amazing!
Sounds like you made the most of your time away from home!
Hope to see you out there again soon!
Christine :)

Awesome report, Carm, way to make a great New Years out of getting shipped to LA for the holidays! Nevada Falls looks awesome.

chinooktrail said:
WOW!
Have not read the whole trip report yet, but will at lunch.
The photos are, of course, amazing!
Sounds like you made the most of your time away from home!
Hope to see you out there again soon!
Christine :)

For your convenience, i have a summary at the bottom for all those with A.D.D. i have self diagnosed A.D.D., so i sympathize.

Toe Cozy said:
That's the absolute best trip report I've read in a long time! A solo adventure that gets your heart pounding for all the best reasons is a damn fine way to begin the new year! Inspiring.

WOW!!! Thank You!!!!!

Well, you are brave and were rewarded !
The fellow hiker in me (that has not seen Yosemite in way too long) says "WHOO HOO !!! Great job !" :D
The father in me though says "WHAT THE HAIL WERE YOU THINKING ???" :mad:
Head-plants in powder are ONLY funny when it involves cartoon characters !

Anyway, congrats, great report and pics.

That is an awesome report! You go for making the most of those little days you had - it's like you fit a whole week into a couple days... that's style!

Rock climbing, yeah!

edit: thanks for the ADD version, I needed that

Sounds like a nice visit to Y. The pics brought back some nice memories--I did the same loop hike (except in the reverse direction) a number of years ago.

Doug

Carmel said:
I limped to my car, in my own glorious agony…aching bones, sore muscles, and blistered feet…but with a big huge smile :D , and headed back to LA. Both devastated that I had to leave, but high on my wonderful weekend.
Sure sign of a great weekend!! :D

I used to be on the road a lot and did a bunch of solo hiking. Being alone in strange territory adds that special punch!! Great report, Carm. Should anyone be surprised - after all you are a (DH) Girl Scout!! :rolleyes:

Now... as far as skiing, one of the best classis tours is in the ADKs from the Loj to Avalanche Lake. What makes it sweet is you are gently going up hill most of the way so coming out is a breeze!! Put it on your schedule, I haven't been in the woods with you in awhile!! --all we need is snow!!

cbcbd said:
edit: thanks for the ADD version, I needed that!!

i'm really glad it was useful. i AM here to help YOU out!

bubba said:
Now... as far as skiing, one of the best classis tours is in the ADKs from the Loj to Avalanche Lake. What makes it sweet is you are gently going up hill most of the way so coming out is a breeze!! Put it on your schedule, I haven't been in the woods with you in awhile!! --all we need is snow!!

when i make it to the ADKs in winter i'll give it a shot. my big problem skiing is when the trail is really narrow, i can't do my flying duck "V" or even a half "V" because there isn't room, knwo what i'm saying?

is that a designated hitter girl scout? i never asked to be a girl scout, but i remember begging my parents to join the boy scouts, becuase my brothers both had the super cool blue and yellow uniforms, and i wanted one too!

bubba said:
I haven't been in the woods with you in awhile!!

SSSShhhhh...you know my boyfriend reads this site you know. :)

Last edited:
Peakbagr said:
What kind of camera?

i'd hate to dazzle you with my photo expertise, so i'll just keep it nice and simple, its a canon PowerShot SD800 IS Digital Elph. D got it for me for xmas.

i used the long exposure button to take them, but my tripod was a can of soup, and i had to take 20 pix because when i would press the shoot button, it would shake the whole camara, i need a clicker i think.

Great trip report and pics!! I love Yosemite and can't wait to go back and explore more of the park. The best trips are the ones that you plan at the last moment and that defy all conventional logic. I can identify with those long roads that take forever when you are entering the park from the south. I remember having some really weird visions in my sleep deprived mind when we were driving thru the park at 1 in the morning(4 eastern time) on our trip out to the park on our travel day. I thought those bendy tree covered roads would never end.

Wow, a Canon PowerShot SD800 IS?!?!??!?!!? Wow, that is a nice camera! You sure are lucky! Man, what a gift! :D

Nice trip report. I really like the pictures you took with that awesome camera! These are my favorites:

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2544007730096278484fVyrmE

and

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2392675210096278484thGRbl

Of course everyone knows pictures with people in them are the BEST, so this one is great too:

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2005460880096278484codtBe

Glad to hear you had such a fun time. Although I think my two handed adventure last New Years Eve was probably more exciting than yours. Anyway, I can't believe you didn't die. Good work.

- d

ps: your first boondoggle....I'm so proud. (yah, she is supposed to be out there for work...)