Your Terminal List

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is your Terminal List?

• Total voters

dr_wu002

Reaction score
spencer said:
A confession:

I really struggle with the notion that the 3ks and other obscure lists get so much publicity lately on VFTT (and probably elsewhere, although I don't spend much time "elsewhere"). I like to discuss the fun aspects of the peaks with others and I certainly have emailed some of you "old-timers" for tidbits of info and I definitely enjoy reading the canisters. However, I find I get extremely curmudgeon about the whole letting the cat out of the bag. Of course I'm being selfish, but I can't help worry that when everyone starts hiking the peaks, they get easy. I hike the 3ks b/c I enjoy the challenge of planning routes, the actual routefinding, reading about those who came before me, seeing views that very few others get to see, and of course seeing the forest itself (it's what I do)...
Spencer's post got me thinking... does VFTT really influence people to do new lists? I get the feeling that for the most part, people will stick to 4K lists and NEHH lists and Fifty Finest lists but will shy away from the cumbersome 3K lists or beyond... NE US 2K's!?!?!?

The poll asks, what is your terminal list? I did not include prominence lists. For the most part, the lists are listed (grrrr...) from easiest (4K) to hardest (NE US 3K) and then the bottom are for us unstructured folks who do whatever we want.

If you vote for a list/no list, could you add a comment here outlining again what lists you're going to do and why. What made you take the next step? Etc. Does reading about the 3K list on VFTT make you want to complete it? Will you in all honesty do the 3K list if the answer was 'yes' to the last question?

Note, you can vote for more than one thing on that list.

-Dr. Wu

Edit: Sorry Catskill People. Vote in the top selection (4K) for the Catskill 35. Click on the NHHH or ADKHH for the Catskill 3K list.

Last edited:
What about redlining?? That's the only one I'm working on now. After completing the NH4Ks years ago (AMC Version), I didn't want to chase another list. I want to hit new areas, but I often hike with my dog so that usually rules out bushwacking and things (which seems to be a requirement for many of the "other" peaks).

I was going to vote for the Wu-List but I don't see it as an option. :) Has it been completed yet??

-MEB

dug said:
What about redlining?? That's the only one I'm working on now. After completing the NH4Ks years ago (AMC Version), I didn't want to chase another list. I want to hit new areas, but I often hike with my dog so that usually rules out bushwacking and things (which seems to be a requirement for many of the "other" peaks).
I think Redlining would fall under the "anything I want" category.

MEB said:
I was going to vote for the Wu-List but I don't see it as an option. :) Has it been completed yet??

-MEB
That would also fall under the "anything I want" category, right? I made the list. It's not done. Now answer the real question that I asked!!!! :D

-Dr. Wu

My Terminal List or Master List is one I made up. It incorporates some, all, or adds to some of the lists listed above, and I decided which rules to use, and where, and when. Just enough variety to make it fun and challenging, not enough numbers to send me to the pharmacy... And I hope to finish it later as opposed to sooner. No shackles for me.

So, you should add, "My Own List," to the poll so I can vote...

I usually hike on the 4K's when I get to the mountains, so I guess I'm working on that "list." I also hike to ponds, lost trails, and smaller peaks, too, though. I don't bushwhack much, and I've never tried a slide, mostly because I'm usually solo. I'd like to give those things a try, but I don't think these are trips I'd make solo. Sometimes I just take a walk on a trail. Does that make me a "redliner?" I doubt that I'll work on another list if I finish the NH4k's. Maybe the 52-with-a-view? :confused:

Davehiker said:
I usually hike on the 4K's when I get to the mountains, so I guess I'm working on that "list." I also hike to ponds, lost trails, and smaller peaks, too, though. I don't bushwhack much, and I've never tried a slide, mostly because I'm usually solo. I'd like to give those things a try, but I don't think these are trips I'd make solo. Sometimes I just take a walk on a trail. Does that make me a "redliner?" I doubt that I'll work on another list if I finish the NH4k's. Maybe the 52-with-a-view? :confused:
You can all vote for more than one thing! If you want to vote for 4K and "whatever I want" then go ahead.

-Dr. Wu

I look at these lists as a menu at my favorite restaurant. I have been influenced by VFTT. I want to get out more and see more stuff and experience new things. However after one tour I am going back to my favorites.

good question. Both times I finished a list, I developed list fatigue and started doing stuff at random.

I'll probably eventually finish the NEHH, but there's a lot of bushwhacking involved. Not that I don't enjoy that, it's just that I'm basically pretty lazy. Hell, I haven't driven a stick-shift in over 15 years!. It's much easier to follow a trail, and some of the peaks on the lists are so god-awfully far away. Plus I'm still relatively young and new at this, if I finish things too soon, I'll end up aimlessly wandering around in the woods. Not necessarily a bad thing.

I have joined the 'listless' crowd. I won't work on another list!! But I don't like the last choice's wording so I didn't vote.

Well, I like hiking lists, sectionhiking long-distance trails and redlining... there are very few lists I've ever seen that don't interest me. Really, it's about hiking something new and getting into new areas for me. I go back and hike my old favorites sometimes but more often I'm out experiencing new things.

I know I will finish the New England Hundred Highest... and I will most likely hike the 52 with a View, NE111 and the Y-Alpine lists too at some point. I enjoy bushwhacking occaisionally but not enough to focus on the 3K's... though maybe enough to hike the NHHH one day.

I do enjoy reading about other people's bushwhacks and adventures though. It doesn't really encourage me to follow suit... some of those trip reports leave me saying, "Well, I'm glad I didn't try that one!" :D

- Ivy

I guess I'm a Jekyll and Hyde hiker. The peakpagger and the "whatever" hiker. I intend to do the Northeast 3Ks and I'll include the three in PA as well. On the other hand, I am not only hiking list peaks. I'm also revisiting a lot of favorite places, checking out cool stuff I learn about, and going to some places just because of the company.

Sure, I'm trying to do some NEHH peakbagging this weekend but, I've revisited NH 4Ks 20+ times when I could have been peakbagging. I do fun trips to non-list peaks even bushwhacks to some of them.

So, my style is do peakbag but to also do other stuff. I'm not list driven, I'm list guided. The lists give me ideas of places to go as does reading some (not all) trip reports.

What is the Y-Alpine list? The name is inviting...

I started working on th 4k list last november and after hiking Owls head and mt Hale I said the heck with lists. I didnt have much desire to hike those Mts but did so anyhow. I have a side job that takes me all over central and northern NH so I plan my hikes around whereever I happen to be on certin days.

So I vote no lists :D

What about winter lists ?

My next 2 lists to complete are the Winter 35's and Winter 46's, or maybe the NEHH, or maybe something else! :D

Someone else already said that they have a 'list of lists', and so do I. I have a Dr. Wu list of sorts too, I call it my 'nice hikes' list. For all my peakbagging, I am in no huge hurry to finish any given list, and I can always be tempted to go on a nice hike if one presents itself. Some hikes accomplish both objectives.

Last edited:
What exactly do you mean by "Terminal"? Do you mean a list with a definate end or the final list you plan to completeor the list(s) you are currently working on.

I voted for the first selection, I am nearing completion of the Catskill-3500. I also have 5 of the ADK-46 under my belt. (so that would actually be 2 votes)

With the price of gas I may start working on the Catskill 3Ks instead of/as well as the ADK-46. So I also voted for ADKHH. I also plan to repeat Catskill-3500s solo that I have not yet soloed. I may also work on the Catskill-3500 Winter and maybe Winter+solo.

I believe that VFTT has had some influence on my interest in lists. It has greatly expanded my horizons, it has made me think about doing some of the less travelled peaks. It has also stressed the importance of really practicing LNT principles and a respect for the resources we have available to us.

Confessions of a reformed hiker

dr_wu002 said:
does VFTT really influence people to do new lists?
I can only answer for myself -- No. Does VFTT and lists make me aware of some interesting mountains that I may climb? -- Yes.

I thought lists were great when I was initially getting serious about hiking. As the mountains on the lists became more distant from my home the lists became more of a burden than fun. For too many years the pull of the list kept me from hiking some great mountains like Noonmark and Rooster Comb. I now know what I like and what I care less for -- I like the a la carte menu analogy for lists. If the summits are in the clouds I may go up for the fog and foliage photos, or I may just stay down low and enjoy the forest, streams, and ponds. Finding berries, seeing a bear or a red-tailed hawk, or locating an old road to XC ski keeps me happy. I have no desire to do any more lists. I have no need to climb every viewless scratchy summit.

I prefer to scour the maps for the potential of cliffs, meadows, open views, waterfalls, and unusual mountain profiles. On occasions I find myself noting the critical col and counting contour lines - old habits die hard.

I guess the NE 3K's are my "terminal" list, especially since I'll be doing them till I die. But Pat and I get sidetracked constantly and haven't progressed much in recent years. Yes, it's VFTT'ers who are sidetracking us, much to our delight.