Zealand and the Bonds SSW48 3/16

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silverfox

Reaction score
After a busy summer and fall hiking season it was laughingly suggested to me that this would be a good winter to finish the W48....Sure I say..9 months removed from a TKR and only a little over 6 months from my first post opp 4k I found myself on the first day of winter sitting in the Mittersill parking lot with Tim C thinking we must be crazy..windy cold..it would turn out to be one of the coldest hiking days of the year..but up we went soon joined by Rocket21 for a gorgeous sunset on Cannon...the stage was set..
some crazy hikes along the way

.Moosilauke during the 4 day storm..no snow in Meredith..4 feet on the carriage Road..this turned into a familiar pattern..

Jackson after the big snow..we barely tagged the summit in the blowing snow and bitter cold...6-8 foot deep snow in places up high

Terrific undercast on Munroe/Washington/Jefferson day...prefect footing in snowshoes all day..some folks know how to call a presi day!!!calm winds temps in the 20's..can you say bluebird???

and then another one .. Adams and Madison knocked off on a day when it seemed everyone was above treeline..Valerie uses her ice axe!!

we did our share of breaking trail... and were happy to follow others at times..

Glorious day on Franconia Ridge..then Owl's Head fell on a great day with the added reward of excellent views along the snowpacked ridge

all that was left..the Zealand Bonds traverse..and the day came and I had to work..and the group was successful which was excellent!!!

A week left to go.. I was determined to give a try..good friends Tim and val volunteered to go back, Denise, also on track for SS came along. the date was planned..the snow came but tuesday dawned clear and we set out...sure to be breaking trail again..somehow it seemed only fitting

We had a cool clear morning and microspiked past the hut to around 3000 feet..once the soft snow began it got deeper and deeper and we were soon swimming through branches and deep snow and eventually popped out just west of Zeacliff where we reveled in the day and enjoyed the incredible views..one of the best spots in the Whites...no doubt

Trail finding became difficult Tim C kept us mostly on trail with an insane 6th sense and we came across random blazes many times across the ridge..That ridiculous bump in the middle of the ridge was a bit steep but soon we were past it enjoying the phenomenal views in every direction from atop the deep snowpack. we reached what seemed to be the last high spot before Guyot col and wandered around a bit before we spotted the summit sign..barely showing in the snow...the views from Zealand were great from a unique angle..That was cause for celebration and we snacked here in the place where Tim C last week had done his SSW48 finish..I enjoyed saying that perhaps Bondcliff would be a bit more spectacular place to be for that event.......

Off we go into the deep trackless snow of the col..we found a blaze or 2 and were mostly on trail down but lost trail heading up Guyot where we followed a contour for a bit and got back on track..The summits of Guyot one of my favorite places and we had good firm hardpack snow here which was great after breaking trail all the way so far..Then Tim noticed some movement on Bond..a couple of folks heading down..perhaps we wouldn't have to break out all the way back to lincoln..

Sure enough after heading along the ridge we ran into mike and Dave who had wandered past the west Bond turnoff by a few hundred yards..we got them up there and went as a group out to the spire..basically cutting our way through in places but remaining mostly right on trail...Excellent on top and Mike celebrated the completion of his winter 48 ..someone asked..how long? and he said..only 15 years..how are you guys doing.. Well..we were gentle but said there was 1 done and 2 soon to be SSW48 in our small group..we laughed and smiled a bit and were soon on our way..

Easy climb up to Bond following a now broken out trail.. terrific views in all directions ..incredible day..We did not dawdle on Bond..usually one of my favorite spots but the goal for the day led just ahead...
The winter route over to Bondcliff was excellent with some switchbacks down the slope broke in and we soon were in the col and on the way back up..Adrenaline took over and peak fever set in and we bounded up the last couple of ledge and then we were there..on top of the world..quite a thing..and we laughed and took a long break here...Certainly cause for celebrations. Fresh dry layers and socks for some and down we headed..dodging branches and boughs in the deep soft snow..The step off ledge is invisible..just another ramp in the snow..We reached the 4th crossing and took the brook bushwack down for awhile which was a great respite from branches in the face..Soon the headlamps came out and we were back on trail. The lower Bondcliff trail is a mess with many bendovers and blowdowns..with some time you could do some good in here with a saw...
Wilderness Trail a mix of deep loose granular..running water.. and mud..you get the picture.
We finally took off snowshoes at the bridge.. spikes out on the mixed ice snow and mud surface..10 minute bridge was only 8 minutes away as we kept a good pace and soon we were heading down the road

This has been quite a season for many and for myself a few notes..serious thanks to the OTHH crew who helped out with caregiving last year and joined me on so many hikes this summer fall and winter. Jeremy and many other VFTT folks with whom trails were shared along the way..there is confidence and safety in numbers and with every hike confidence grows that you can do this..so awesome..Rocket, una_dogger, Cymbidium,Mike bob,BHSF, Old man,Jeff, Fran..Skip, Jeb and the Clan..good to share some times on the trail.I especially enjoyed my time on the trail with Tim C (26 peaks) and Val..we shared some great adventures..thanks for getting back out there on the Bonds!!!
a few pics to follow..I will take the quantity over quality route i guess!!!

http://silverfox777.smugmug.com/other/hiking-the-whtes-winter/img

Last edited:
Fantastic job Mark!!! Nice to have joined you on one or two of your SSW48.
John & June

I am very happy for you, my friend!! I had no doubt - after seeing you for the first time post-op--that you would go on to do great things on that bionic knee of yours. :)
Keep on hiking, you are one of the inspirational ones, for sure.

Good one Mark!
You get back what you give my hiking friend. You have been there for a lot of us. Super job. Fran and I are so happy you completed your goal!!! Looking forward to hiking with you soon....unless I am out of your league now!! (big smile)
Fondly,
K

Last edited:
Congratulations, Mark! Glad to be there for one or two trips. Sorry you couldn't make it on that Thursday. There are quite a few single-season finishers this year!

Tim

Congratulation Mark! You are "the Man of the Mountain"!
Notice that I omitted the word "old" . . . it certainly doesn't apply to someone with your youthful spirit. And now, with your new bionic body part, you are even better, stronger, faster than before!

Ssw-48

Mark, This was an amazing accomplishment. I know what you went thru pysichally last year. It couldn't have been done by a nicer person. Tim and Val deserve many kudos for returning to the Bonds after last week's adventure. Truly good friends.

nicely done. it sounds like you had a great winter. hope to see you out on the trails later this year.

bryan

Congratulations, Mark.

Now that you have that durn wacky list thingee out of the way, let's do some sunrise hikes before all of the snow is gone up top...

...yeah?

Congratulations, Mark!

Yes, successful surgery can change your life.

Life%20Is%20Good.jpg

ssw48

Mark,

Congrats once again! Almoat wish I had been with you at times but still happy about not winter hiking....Spring hiking...will you wait for the old ones?

Grumpygran

Congratulations Silverfox! A very admirable and inspirational feat!

Ssw48

Mark - Glad to hear that you made it and I'm glad I got to be part of your success on the Twinns/Galehead hike. That's some serious hiking. Congrats!:D

Congrats Mark! After hearing the story of your bionic knee from Tim this weekend I have new hope for my long term hiking prospects. After that day one start with Tim and Jeremy it had to be all downhill from there. What a winter! Hope we get to join you on the trail someday.

Last edited:
Congratulations Mark

Congratulations! Your story is an inspiration. It may even knnock me off the fence and convince me to get my knee done.
Hope to see you on the trail sometime.