First Time

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueMtn

Reaction score
I am thinking of climbing my way up Mt. Washington for the first time. (although I felt the road suited me just fine) ;) Thought I would see if anyone has any suggestions on which trail to take up and what not. Thanks for sharing!

BlueMtn :D

From Pinkham the easiest route us is the Tuckerman Ravine trail. From the Cog RR side the basic route us up Ammonoosuc Ravine trail, past the AMC Lakes of the Clouds hut. Both routes are roughly 9 miles roundtrip and involve about 4000' of elevation gain. Both are big trips, have you been on big hikes before? Start early and pace yourself, carry a good amount of water.

-dave-

I've been up Washington thrice, each time ascending via the Tuckerman Ravine Trail. Each descent, however, has been a different route: Huntington Ravine, Tuckerman Ravine, and Lion's Head.

That first time up, despite it being just three days past my 21st birthday, was one of the toughest hikes I've ever done. I was so exhausted on the cone, the last mile or so, I kept telling myself that I would not sit and rest until I'd taken ten steps. Then I would start walking and it would be one...two......three............four....................five...........................six.
And I'd collapse onto the rocks, panting.

The first and third hikes (that last one was a 20th-anniversary return) were in early October, and there was snow and ice both times.

Be careful, too. Near the top of the Tuckerman headwall is a slick spot climbing past some trickling water that, if you slipped, could lead to a fall in which it would be a long time before you stopped.

And watch out for cars at the summit. I nearly got hit last time, suddenly stepping onto the road and there was a car right there.

Last edited:
Consider Boott Spur from Pinkham Notch. It's a bit longer but the climbing is more steady, which also makes for a nice descent if you don't enjoy steep descents. The views into Tuckerman Ravine are awesome from this trail.

Tuckerman Ravine Trail brings you right through the floor of the ravine. The beauty of that place is incredible. You really have to experience it for yourself to appreciate just how beautiful it is.

I would suggest ascending via Tuckerman Ravine Trail and descending the Boott Spur Trail.

Happy Trails :)

BlueMtn said:
I am thinking of climbing my way up Mt. Washington for the first time. (although I felt the road suited me just fine) ;) Thought I would see if anyone has any suggestions on which trail to take up and what not. Thanks for sharing!

(After re-reading what I just wrote, it sounds really depressing, but I think I will leave it here as a cautionary statement):

I don't want to freak you out, but I would recommend reading 'Not Without Peril' before you go. It's a very sobering account of 'Misadventure in the White Mountains'. Do not underestimate this mountain. Many people have lost their lives on it, in a wide variety of ways:

http://www.mountwashington.com/deaths/index.html

Beyond what Dave said, bring emergency gear, and pay close attention to the weather. Starting from Pinkham, where you can get a real-time weather forecast is a good idea. There can be snow up there any month of the year, and hurricane force winds are common at the summit. There are places along the way (the hut, the summit, etc.), where you can take refuge and get food and water. There are warnings about turning back if the weather gets bad. Heed them.

Having said all that, it can also give you the best views you'll ever see in the northeast!

forestnome said:
I would suggest ascending via Tuckerman Ravine Trail and descending the Boott Spur Trail.
The above is a nice route. Lion Head Tr is another good descent route and a bit shorter than Boott Spur Tr.

You might want to hike a few other peaks before you go for Washington. The southern prezzies (Pierce, Eisenhower, Monroe) are good warm-ups to W and not as serious (less exposure to the weather).

Doug

I think the least difficult route up and down Washington is the west side loop going up Ammonoosuc Ravine to Lakes of Clouds Hut (where you can get water if need be and provided you go before LOC Hut closes in mid Sept), Crawford Path to Washington and down Gulfside Trail and Jewell back to Cog Station. Jewell is a pretty easy descent if your legs start to go.

Hi.

1. Hike your own hike. That said,
2. Heed the warnings, they're for real.
3. I'd recommend going with someone who's done it before; it helps in several ways.
4. Yes, I'd also recommend starting with other hikes first.
5. Good first-time routes are the Tuck's or Ammonoosuc trails; they really are the best ones, for several reasons.
6. Don't be put off by the danger! Be safe, but have fun, 'cause it's a blast!
7. Do try for a sunny day; it's WAY better than bad-weather hiking, especially on this one. Don't forget the sunscreen!
8. Don't get lost on the shoulders; there're lots of different paths up there. Map & compass!
9. Don't get discouraged by the false summits or the tippy 'felsenmeer' rocks on the southern approaches. They do not in fact go on forever.
10. Try a light-&-fast dayhike the first time, not a heavy overnighter.
11. This may all be good advice, but in the end, be a good New Englander and hike whatever way you want!

Later....

kerry13 said:
I think the least difficult route up and down Washington is the west side loop going up Ammonoosuc Ravine to Lakes of Clouds Hut (where you can get water if need be and provided you go before LOC Hut closes in mid Sept), Crawford Path to Washington and down Gulfside Trail and Jewell back to Cog Station. Jewell is a pretty easy descent if your legs start to go.

I agree. My first ascent was up Amm and down Jewell. Just make sure the weather is perfect because Jewell is above treeline for awhile and you can get the brunt of the winds if its bad. I've done the loop twice, once in late September and once in early October, and both times it was in the 60s at the summit! :eek: So I lucked out. Still views into the Great Gulf from the gulfside trail on the way to Jewell are my fav in the Presidentials.

grouseking

First, thank you for the warnings of weather, safety, etc. I do appreciate them! Second, I have hiked Jefferson, Eisenhower and several other 4,000 footers, also climbed up Mt. Marcy in the ADK's. I am no super-hiker though and have heard nothing really compares (around here anyway) to Washington, so wanted to get opinions on the most enjoyable route. I thought of going by way of the huts, but heard they are crowded often. When going up Jefferson (via Caps Ridge Trail), I seem to remember someone mentioning they were on their way down from Washington. Would that be a reasonable option or would that be completely out of the way? Has anyone been up that way? We were thinking of an overnight (weather pending) so also would like to know which way would allow better camping options below tree-line. Thanks so much for all of your input!
BlueMtn~

Washington isn't significantly different then Adams or Jefferson, althouth the Cap Ridge route that you did is easier than any route to the other major peaks. On a nice day, Washington isn't any harder than those, and is somewhat easier since you have the summit buildings (food, water, shelter).

There will be lots of folks on any of the popular routes up Washington. Going past the hut isn't going to be any different than being on Tuckerman or Lions Head. You'll see somewhat fewer folks on Boott Spur, Nelson Crag, or Jewel. If you're worried about the length of the trip, you are probably best off taking one of the standard routes up from Pinkham or the Cog. You can do the trip from Ridge of the Caps, and you save 1000 feet of climbing, but at the expense of an extra 3-4 miles all above treeline.

The most important thing that makes this different from the other hikes you've done is it's a little bigger, a little longer, and if the weather turns bad, it'll be much worse. Get a good forecast, keep an eye on the weather while hiking, and turn around if the weather is getting worse. It won't get better as you go higher. The mountain will be there for another day. It's good to respect the mountain, but it's really not that different from the other peaks in the Presidentals. Common sense is still the most important thing.

-dave-

I agree with everyone.
I think the main concern is safety.
It does'nt matter what trail you take, just be prepared.
If I'm not mistaken, I belive that most of the deaths that have occured in the presidentials have been in the summer months. This is due to people not being prepared.
It can be 80 F in the valleys, however, above tree-line, if a front should approach 40-50 F. Add rain & wind and you're looking at hypothermia-galore, if you don't have the proper attire.
I always bring winter-style clothing any time of year in the prezzie's
and a little common sense too.
Pick a nice day and it will be awesome, no matter what trail you take. :)

Comments on routes to Washington

There is about 500 feet less vertical leaving from the Ammonoosuc-Jewell trailhad compared to Pinkham Notch. The Caps Ridge, Cornice route provides the least vertical gain although sections of it are rugged hiking. The Jewell trail is longer and less steep than the remainder and a welcome respite for sore knees.

its interesting that you are talking about the first time up Washington. Interestingly enough I have summited twice, both were when I had little experience, actually my first two times up a four thousand footer were both Washington

ammonoosuc ravine - jewel loop is really easy, I hiked it at a time when I was an inexperienced hiker - albeit in the best shape of my life - but an inexperienced hiker nonetheless, my cousins who I went with were not at all in shape, and even less experienced in hiking, and they did ok.

I did Lion's head - Tuckerman loop with my Boy Scout troop back when I was an overweight 13 year old who had never hiked north of Connecticut, it took me a while, but wasn't that hard, definately much steeper than jewel - ammonoouc

I would say if you want an easy, gradual way up, go for ammonoosuc-jewel, its also very scenic and you can stop at the Lakes of the Clouds Hut, much nicer than the scene at the summit.

jmegillon149 said:
I would say if you want an easy, gradual way up, go for ammonoosuc-jewel, its also very scenic and you can stop at the Lakes of the Clouds Hut, much nicer than the scene at the summit.
And Monroe is just a short side-trip on the way up and Clay and Jefferson are only a little bit farther on the way down.

Doug

While the Ammonoosuc Trail is shorter and less elevation gain than Tuckerman’s or Boott Spur, it is by no means easy or gradual. The section from Gem Pool to the stream crossing at the ledges is quite steep and sustained. From there to Lakes Hut is moderately steep and from the Hut to the summit is over 1200 feet of elevation gain in a little over a mile.

That being said, I accompany my extended family of non-hikers on their one hike a year up Mt Washington on the Ammonoosuc Trail. While several of them have climbed Washington via this route over a dozen times, I would not consider them experienced hikers. We have taken many first timers on this trail and we have also had two 9 year olds climb it. This will give you an idea whether you think you can do it or not from that side.

Have fun.

JohnL

I’m hiking Mt. Washington this Saturday with some friends who have never done the hike before. My wife will hiking with some up the Tuckerman Ravine Trail, while I will take some up the Boott Spur Link Trail to the Boott Spur Trail and then up to the summit. We will all descend via the Lion’s Head Trail.

Just in case you are wondering, I’m taking the Boott Spur Link Trail for two reasons. One, I hate the Boott Spur Trail from the Tucks cutoff to the Link. It’s not well maintained and I just find it annoying. Two, some wanted a little challenge and the steep .6 of Boott Spur Link should fit in nicely. Besides, as others have said, the view of Tuckerman from the top of the link is breathtaking.

Weather might be a problem, so I have made certain everyone is well equipped with foul weather gear. Should be a fun day.

Here is .02 more

While Lion's head is the shortest trip, IMO the Ammo, Jewell loop is easier. Starts about 500 feet higher, a little longer & less stepp, the part above Gem pool could be described as a steep staircase that climbs 1,000 feet or so, while technically the Ammo Ravine has a head wall, it never feels like the headwall climbs of tucks or Huntington. (while the one of the first people said they went down Huntington's this is highly NOT recommended.

In addition to elevation & distance the footing on the Ammo, Crawford Path, Gulfside & Jewell is much better than coming up from the other side or the jumble of rocks on the eastern side of the cone (Tucks, Lion's head) While it's still rock hopping, more care in the past (& present) was given by the trail builders to have the stones at better angles.

At this point having done Tucks, Lion's Head, Huntington & Boott Spur (the trails on the other side more) I can't see myself choosing to go up from PNVC unless its to go up Huntington again, Nelson Crag or because a family member really wants to see the ravines from the ravine floor.

Mike P. said:
(while the one of the first people said they went down Huntington's this is highly NOT recommended.
I've been both up and down Huntington. No biggie, either way.

I recommend that if one is aprehensive, then it is better to go up. (Might also be good for first-timers.) Once one has gone up or if one is comfortable on difficult ground, one can decide for one's self.

Doug