Into Thick Air...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Say it isn't so!

You mean I haven't done the real HP of Florida??? :eek: And here I thought that was my first as well as LAST trip there... :D

(FWIW, a friend of mine actually got turned back on the Kansas HP, "Mount" Sunflower: after a deluge of rain the night before, the ~20-mile-long dirt access road turned to muck and she couldn't make it in her sedan. :p )

Yeah, RI ranks right up there with DE, OH, and IA. IA is a little harder to find though... It's awesome that the owners of the land have opened this scenic point of interest. (it used to only be open 2 weekends a year)

Glad you made it back safe. I know the radio tower has warnings about exposure, and crossing that road seemed dangerous to me!

cheers.
-chris

Last edited:
With all this talk about the heroism of our friends I will pour some cold water and accuse them of, in fact, being chicken.

Real Men did Jerimoth when it was a combat mission, done stealthily in the dark of night. Even then, enemy fire was always a possibility.

Reactions: arm
Frodo said:
After an exhausting 6 minute climb across the rocky route, (otherwise known as a marble gravel path), we reached the Summit with lots of high 5’s, pictures, and shouts of joy!

All the training...the sacrifices... and yet I feel the joy, the sense of accomplishment, and that feeling that you've done something the average person just can't appreciate.

Into Thick Air

Frodo and Arm- I sure hope that the obstacles for your May expedition are a drop in the bucket next to Jerimoth Hill! It's so good that you put yourselves to such extraordinary tests to build on your "characters" and fitness levels...Bravo!
Lucky :p :p

we brought a satellite phone, figuring cell phone reception would be compromised by helicopters transferring climbing teams to High Camp on Jerimoth's north face

good training for a future climbing trip up the Great Wall of Ludlow

we found motion detectors on the summit, cleverly disguised as a mailbox

what is photoshop ?

Last edited by a moderator:
no laughing matter...

Congratulations on completing your ascent before the new rules go into effect.

In order to reduce the state's impending $450 MM deficit, the RI State Legislature intends to institute a $10,000 permit system for climbing teams attempting Jerimoth hill.

Ed

The real deal

Are u guys for real ? Sounds like one hek of a trek...I don't know if I could have completed that hike. To me, its seem to be the real deal of a hike.

<moderator hat>
The moderators have been discussing this for a while and it's time for a new guideline on links to YouTube and other videos. Please don't add non-sequitor links to random videos that don't illustrate a point related to the thread. Some are NSFW, some are just annoying, and all require some additional moderating time.

If it adds something on-topic to the thread, links to videos are fine. But otherwise they are out of line with traditional straightforward informational nature of the site.

If you have any questions about this new rule, or wonder if your particular link is OK or not, please contact one of the Moderators before posting.

-dave-

I am so distraught to have missed out on yet anolther epic adventure! It seems that while I was down south training for the summit attempt, my teammates jumped at the prospect of a good weather window. I risked life and limb scaling the mighty Cumberland dunes only to find that they meant RI, while I was in GA. Gris did his best to whip me into shape over the 28 miles we covered. I think he was getting even for the Pats game.

My only hope is that Arm and Frodo's courage and sheer grit will pave the way for me to someday too become a RIHP!

Mats Roing said:
Maybe you guys are ready for some fierce mid-west highpoints like Hawkeye Point in Iowa in the winter!

Wild mutant hogs and and rednecks with shotguns are abundant in those areas - here's a heroic expedition report from the 42nd highest state point: http://www.rexheadd.com/highpoints/hawkeyePt/trip.html

PS. Observe they regretted leaving their crampons in CO...... ;)

Also, sounds like they carried their packs all the way to the feed trough, and did not risk leaving them at the col.