Free beer at Barnes Field on Saturday night, April 18th

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. Dasypodidae

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
“And then there was one. And, that one is Moriah.”

I lucked out with some excellent snowpack conditions the past few days and completed nine of the remaining 10 NH4s for my 576 grid (Owls Head on April Fool's Day, Isolation on the 4th, Zealand and Hale on the 9th, the three Carter’s on the 10th, Galehead and Garfield on the 12th).

So, I am planning to attempt Moriah on Saturday, April 18th (8:30 am at Stony Brook Trailhead), and celebrate afterwards with a little bonfire at Barnes Field that evening. Sunday the 19th will be my makeup date for the hike if I need to back off on the 18th. I will bring about an hour’s worth of cordwood, a saw, and an ax, and a few sixes of Harpoon IPA, of course. Also, Tucks should be back in primo skiing condition by this coming weekend given the sunshine in the forecast for this week. I am assuming that Wildcat also will be still open.

On Saturday, May 2nd, 3 to 5 pm, I invite all to Woodstock Station (North Woodstock, N.H.), where I have amassed a few dollars worth of "points," to share some craft brews (pitchers) and appetizers during their Happy Hour. If things are not too busy at the Station that afternoon, Butch Chase, the brew master, can provide a free guided tour of the brewery at 2 pm (May 2nd should be in the heart of their "low season"). They may still have their maple porter seasonal on tap, but that that might be a long shot. So, plan a short hike on Saturday morning and stop by the Station.

I extend many thanks to all of those who have offered advice and accompanied me on various hikes in the Whites over the years. The 576 grid has been a fun quest.

Last edited:
Congratulations Doc!

Congratulations Doc on completing the grid! Good job getting those remaining peaks. I was planning to sit this weekend out, but will re-consider my options. So far the weather looks favorable for your plan. Good luck!

I can't make the event, but an early congrats on the huge accomplishment!!

ha! i read that title and thought we left unopened beer at barnes last weekend. ;)

dr. d, sounds cool. excuse my ignorance.. but what's a 576 grid?

ha! i read that title and thought we left unopened beer at barnes last weekend. ;)

dr. d, sounds cool. excuse my ignorance.. but what's a 576 grid?

Not that I am anywhere near or have any chance at completing it, but the grid is completing the 48 peaks in each month of the year- 12*48= 576.

Congrats and enjoy your accomplishment...

***Ah, Jay beat me to it....

Last edited:
ahh ok. DUH. i heard about the 48x12.. just didn't put 2 and 2 together.. or 48 and 12 together. har har. :eek:

Congratulations!

that is a lot of time in the woods!
Is anybody reserving campsites? Is this the same weekend as the *&*&*** Inferno race?

that is a lot of time in the woods!
Is anybody reserving campsites? Is this the same weekend as the *&*&*** Inferno race?

Good call; I forgot to mention the Inferno Tucks Pentathlon and its younger cousin the Wildcat-Wildfire Pentathlon. All the more reason to stop by Barnes for a cold one after those events.

Here is a link:
http://www.friendsoftuckerman.org/wildcat-wildfire-event.htm

I have left a couple calls on USFS voicemail lines asking whether one needs to reserve Barnes group sites in advance, or are they first come first serve? Will post more once I hear back.

Last edited:
Welcome to the club, Thom!! Wish I could make this (maple porter -- mmm...) but there's that little issue of 3000 miles. :D You've been plugging away at this for a long time -- nice to see the goal realized. Curious -- in what year did you climb your first 4000 footer?

Sue

great stuff - wish I could make it - but have obligations down south.

I do miss getting nice and pissed at barnes after a nice day a hiking or climbing.. haven't done it in a while. (pissed at barnes that is)

have fun:D

Way to go

Thom, congratulations on your achievement. You are now a member of a very elite group of hikers.

first come first serve until memorial day weekend

wish i could join you Thom ... have fun reaching 576 !

Thanks, arm. I never got a call back from the USFS, so will see what I can "reserve" in person early Saturday morning, hoping that everything has not been taken by skiers.

"Thom, congratulations on your achievement. You are now a member of a very elite group of hikers."

Thanks, Mike, and others, but not a member quite yet.....:)