View Poll Results: Have you got a seasonal preference for hiking?

Voters
126. You may not vote on this poll
  • Year round. Doesn't matter. I'm there.

88 69.84%
  • Only when it's warm.

2 1.59%
  • Mostly warm stuff but you might get me out on a nice winter day.

16 12.70%
  • Mostly winter but I'll spend a few summer days out there.

18 14.29%
  • Winter only - the colder and snowier the better.

2 1.59%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hiker Type - Summer/Winter/Year-Round?

Hiker Type - Summer/Winter/Year-Round?

I'll be heading out this weekend for my first hike since last winter. Nothing has prevented me from getting out since then. I just much prefer to hike when the weather is cooler and the bugs are gone. To me the air seems so much cleaner the colder it gets.

I'm curious to know how many others are in the same boat or in a completely different fleet. Do you have a preference of "winter" over "summer"? Don't much care and get out whenever you can no matter the season? Somewhere one side or the other?
    Last edited by Stash; 09-15-2009 at 11:50 AM.
    Stash

What matters is what I do. Not what they do.

Hiking Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/35709829@N08/

Tough question to answer actually. Couldn't decide between "mostly winter" and "year round." Wound up checking "mostly winter" 'cuz that's when I tend to have the most free time and therefore the most opportunities for hiking. Summer ... three kids ... yeah, right. I also tend to gravitate towards hikes that will be good in terms of "training" for my current passion of state highpointing. Ice and snow and steepness are all good things. Bushwhacking, no thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Puma concolor View Post
    Tough question to answer actually. Couldn't decide between "mostly winter" and "year round." Wound up checking "mostly winter" 'cuz that's when I tend to have the most free time and therefore the most opportunities for hiking. Summer ... three kids ... yeah, right. I also tend to gravitate towards hikes that will be good in terms of "training" for my current passion of state highpointing. Ice and snow and steepness are all good things. Bushwhacking, no thanks.
    Ditto, except I've 2 kids. Main issues in warmer weather for me are yard and family obligations. During the cold the yard seeks no attention, the kids have their school/band/sports obligations and my wife is (usually) content to stay in or do something local while I venture out.
    Dead Last > Did Not Finish > Did Not Start

* ALL STANDARD DISCLAIMERS APPLY: IIRC. YRMV. IMHO. FWIW. HYOH. NO WARRANTIES, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, ARE MADE
    THAT INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS POST IS ACCURATE, RELIABLE OR APPROPRIATE FOR ANY PARTICULAR SITUATION.

I voted year round but have to say that a certain amount of balance in life is essential for me. If I hike too much I get out of that balanced place. So I make sure there is yoga, gardening, arts etc. mixed in there for good measure.
    NH 4K 48x3 ; NH 4k W48; 52WAV 52/52; NE67: 62/67

I'm a summer bicyclist/yard worker - winter hiker and my wife and daughter are glad to see me out of the house for any reason at all . Upcoming trip is "early" because it's a combined bike/hike with a group of friends. Else I'd have likely waited another month or so...
    Stash

Year round...maybe 'cuz I'm new...so much to do, so little time!!

I figure, each has it's own beauty:

Winter:

1. No bugs
    2. Les "touristy" hikers
    3. Beauty of the views in the winter
    4. Beauty of the land when it's so pristine
    5. I can layer...but, can only take off so much
    6. HIGHER FAT FOODS is a must to keep warm (YEA FOR HIKING IN THE WINTER!)
    7. Crampons make me feel like a SUPER woman!
    8. No fear of Thunder and lightenting (scare the crap out of me above treeline)
    9. No fear of bears...(yup...I'm scared of these too)
    10. Food won't melt

Rest of the year:

1. Longer light
    2. Can actually stop moving to eat/enjoy the views
    3. Fun scrambling without fear of impaling hubby
    4. Easier to get to most trailheads
    5. Flowers, flora, fawna (oh...except bears!)
    6. Lighter packing requirements
    7. Food won't freeze...and neither will the water

I'm sure the list for both goes on and on...but this is what I come up with quickly.
    It's never too late to discover who you really are

Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    Ditto, except I've 2 kids. Main issues in warmer weather for me are yard and family obligations. During the cold the yard seeks no attention, the kids have their school/band/sports obligations and my wife is (usually) content to stay in or do something local while I venture out.
    ^^^This iz korrekt.
    "Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball."

ADK46: 33/46 W6
    NH48: 26/48 W8

I voted year round, but I tend to avoid the spring because of mud, bugs, and high rivers.
    "Adventuring can be for the ordinary person with ordinary qualities, such as I regard myself."
    -Edmund Hillary

Eastern Connecticut Avatar:I Like my Jeep
    I go year round but there is something about the fall hiking season that I love best. Cool days and even cooler nights. Bug free, I just love the season.

Keith
    "The real work of men was hunting meat. The invention of agriculture was a giant step in the wrong direction, leading to serfdom, cities, and empire. From a race of hunters, artists, warriors, and tamers of horses, we degraded ourselves to what we are now: clerks, functionaries, laborers, entertainers, processors of information."- Ed Abbey

I'm guessing, based on nothing but personal observations, that quite a few of the "Year round. Doesn't matter. I'm there." responders maybe could've answered "Mostly warm stuff but you might get me out on a nice winter day."

I could be wrong.
    Dead Last > Did Not Finish > Did Not Start

* ALL STANDARD DISCLAIMERS APPLY: IIRC. YRMV. IMHO. FWIW. HYOH. NO WARRANTIES, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, ARE MADE
    THAT INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS POST IS ACCURATE, RELIABLE OR APPROPRIATE FOR ANY PARTICULAR SITUATION.

Nope...as long as it ain't blizzardy...-40 windchill...or something that will blow me off the mountain...I'm THERE...

Hubby just started a new job...that includes WEEKENDS...what AM I GOING TO DO NOW!?
    It's never too late to discover who you really are

Quote Originally Posted by hikes-with-him View Post
    Hubby just started a new job...that includes WEEKENDS...what AM I GOING TO DO NOW!?

Find new friends and Hikes-with-them! Of do as I often do and Hikes-with-yourself. Solo in the woods, especially in the winter, can be quite relaxing.
    Stash

Quote Originally Posted by hikes-with-him View Post
    Nope...as long as it ain't blizzardy...-40 windchill...or something that will blow me off the mountain...I'm THERE...

If you're a hiking derelict, an alcoholic, or have at least modest psychotic tendencies you can come hang out with our little crew at Barnes Field (or wherever we won't get kicked out of). It's always fun to be sleep deprived and hungover while busting out a 20 mile hike with this crew! Maybe Mats will bring some more of those Vegan Gas Bars or whatever they were....

Shake and Bake!!

-Dr. Wu
    To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
    -Thomas Paine

Year-round, but since taking up downhill skiing I don't hike as much in the winter as I used to, and since a few miserable experiences I don't hike in April anymore.

I'll hike in just about any winter weather, but I've come to avoid hiking in rain any time of the year. It's just not enjoyable.
    May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I don't like to start out in the rain, but am not going to let the "threat" of precipitation during the day stop me. Don't like it too hot or too buggy. Also won't drive to the mountains if the road conditions are dangerous. And I guess I'd stay home if it was frightfully cold. When it comes right down to it, I just love being in the mountains. Year round, else I'm not as happy.
    Ellen

Volunteer Maintainer: East Pond Trail

"Through winter-time we call on spring/And through the spring on summer call/And when abounding hedges ring/Declare that winter's best of all/And after that there's nothing good/Because the spring-time has not come... William Butler Yeats