bear charge on Adams

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blaze

Reaction score
Posting this excerpt from an email from a friend... who not only saw but was charged by a bear while hiking Mt Adams yesterday 7/12. I don't have any more details than this at the moment, but will try to get more info.

Be careful out there!

Yesterday the dog and I went up adams via amphibrach and lowe's path with a full pack and were out by 1:30. even included being charged by an irate mama bear complete with the pair of cubs. I actually have bear pepper spray in the trunk but of course didn't bring it with me. Given the proximity there is no way I would have had time to use it. Fortunately she broke away from the slower creature (me) and went for the very fast dog who out ran her till she gave up. Eery feeling hearing a bear running behind you - and catching up. The next few miles went by amazingly fast!​

What an adrenalin rush!! And not a good kind....Makes me want to get some pepper spray, not that it would do much to a ticked off mama bear.

Be careful out there folks...

What, now just being a bear isn't free anymore?? sheesh. ;)

I could see Adams nicely today from Lowe's bald Spot...

Sounds pretty scarey, and here I am camping off of trails and stuff... :)

Jay

I mentioned it in the another recent bear post, but is deserves mentioning again here. Terry DeBruyn's book Walking with Bears is an excellent account of one researcher's work with black bears, which can give you much insight into this amazing creature's psychology.

Yesterday the dog and I went up adams via amphibrach and lowe's path with a full pack and were out by 1:30. even included being charged by an irate mama bear complete with the pair of cubs.

I saw a small bear, probably female, near the rail trail about halfway between Lowe's and Appalachia Friday night (7/9) about 8:00 PM. That's in the same general region. It was about 40 yards away - didn't see any cubs nearby and after we exchanged looks for 30 seconds, she saw I was no threat and moved on lazily.

Ben Kilham says that bears in the northeast do false charges. Not real charges. It is so easy to think a bear charge is real, considering their size. But like people, they tend to throw their weight around.

There was actually a report on bears in the White Mountains this morning on NPR... They were saying that there's been a "bear alert" issued for the WMNF because of an increase in bear activity. Hopefully this doesn't provide people with another excuse to fear bears, but instead prompts us to learn more about them.

Bear alert issued for (NOT "on") WMNF

Here's the alert, found at Bear encounters increase on the White Mountain National Forest

Bear encounters increase on the White Mountain National Forest
Human encounters with black bears have increased across the White Mountain National Forest. While many visitors and campers never encounter a bear, black bears are a part of the Forest and can quickly become habituated to human food. Several incidents have been reported this year involving bears looking for food at recreation sites and other locations on the Forest. Bears have been seen rummaging through coolers, crawling into tents and underneath shelters, and reaching food in improperly hung storage bags. Increased encounters lessen the bear’s fear of people. Some bears have even stopped reacting to pyrotechnic pistols and rifles and other loud noises.

It is vital that you keep a clean campsite to ensure bears and other animals don’t forage for your food. Improperly stored food not only attracts bears to people currently camping at a site, but it lets the bear know that it can find food at that campsite in the future. The bear may return to the site when other families are recreating there.

Read the rules and signs about bears posted at campgrounds and trailheads, and follow the instructions on how to properly store food. Too many times, visitors believe they have stored their food safely, but in reality have left it within a bear’s reach. A properly hung food bag is hung so that the bottom of the bag is at least 10 feet off the ground and 5 feet out from a tree limb that could support a bear.

Bears are meant to be wild and feeding them creates negative consequences for them. Bears that get too used to people may have to be trapped and relocated. If they continually return, may even be killed. Remember, “A fed bear is a dead bear.”
The feeding of bears, intentional or unintentional, is prohibited on the White Mountain National Forest. Visitors who have not properly stored their food risk their own safety and receiving a citation. Following safe food storage practices protects both you and the bears.
“If people continue to improperly store food or throw food at bears, attacks on people are imminent,” said Katherine Stuart, District Ranger for the Androscoggin Ranger District, “The worst possible thing you could do is throw food at a bear.”

It is your responsibility to ensure your safety and that of future campers by not purposefully or inadvertently feeding bears. So remember:
• Always keep a clean camp.
• Do not leave any food (including condiments) out when not in use.
• DO NOT throw food at bears
• Store food in bear-resistant units, hard-shelled vehicles or car trunks.
• Keep sleeping areas, tents, and sleeping bags free of food and odor.
• Do not sleep in clothes you cooked or handled fish or game in.
• Never bury or burn food waste.
• If camping in the backcountry, hang your food bag at least 10 feet off the ground and 5 feet from a tree limb that could support a bear.
• In backcountry areas, place sleeping tents at least 100 yards away from food storage and cooking areas, if possible.

For more information on dealing with black bears, visit the New Hampshire Fish& Game Department’s website at www.wildnh.com/Wildlife/faqs_black_bears.htm. For information on the White Mountain National Forest, go to: www.fs.fed.us/r9/white.
###end###

[anal word user alert on]
I can't stand the USFS use of "on" for referring to locations in the National Forests. I seriously doubt that TR and Gifford Pinchot intended its use.
[/anal word user alert]

Stupid ?

Where can I pick up bear pepper spray locally? Locally being anywhere from the Western Maine Mtns to Waterville Valley and towards the coast centered around Conway. I know I can order it online. I prefer not to pay shipping. In the past, I checked at Bean in Freeport, ME but they didn't have it.

As far as bears, I've seen them twice. Once at the Green Hills Preserve Trailhead off of Artist Falls Rd with my dad and brother. In the calmest voice possible to them I said "bear", entered the car, and shut the door. It paid no attention to us as it crossed the road. The other time was in the Sandwich Range on the Old Mast Road. A mother and two cubs darted in front of my hiking partner and I. We slowed up, let them get past, and continued at a hurried pace. My partner claims to have looked back and saw the mother observing us standing on her hind legs.

There was another time of note I can think of pertaining to the thread's incident, but didn't actually see the bear. My hiking partners and I were returning to the Appalachia Parking Lot and one partner saw a bear in the clearing near the beginning. He observed it through binoculars for a short time. I think the bear was close-by because a group of youngsters thought it would be a good idea to eat a freshly cooked pizza in the parking lot.

I think bears will leave us alone if we leave them alone, but it's good to have a line of defense in the rare chance I have to defend myself. Of course, maybe it's better to head uphill or play dead when encountering a particularly aggressive one. I heard a story on the summit of Saddleback in Dallas Plantation, ME last year of a bear backing a hiker(s) down the Kibby Mountain Tr for a couple miles.

I was in the Portland ME EMS branch last night and they had bear spray for sale. I presume the other locations do as well.

Chris

Thanks Chris. Whereabouts in the store is it? I'm by there twice a week usually. I'll try the one in North Conway first to forgo the sales tax.

It was in with the bear canisters and such, which in turn was over by the camp soap, hand sanitizer, plastic bottles, cookware, etc. section.

In the Portland store, this would mean left side as you come in the door, about 2/3 of the way back.

If you wish, you can check the EMS inventory on-line, just find an item then look up a specific store to see if they have it in stock there.

Chris

Thanks Chris. Whereabouts in the store is it? I'm by there twice a week usually. I'll try the one in North Conway first to forgo the sales tax.