127 Hours ~ New Movie

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So apparently this movie is starting as a limited release. I don't think it's showing anywhere near Boston today.

It's going to hit Kendall Square Cinema and Coolidge Corner next Friday.

For those in NY, it's currently showing at the Sunshine Cinema and AMC Lincoln Square cinema.

Last edited:
Don't waste time looking. It's nowhere out in Western or Central MA yet. Bummer! :(

This movie could potentially lead to a strong increase in visitation to Utah's slot canyons. I'm assuming many of the films' upcoming viewers will be learning about slot canyons for the first time and will be mesmerized (as many of us were the first time we visited one). I wonder if accidents will therefore increase because of this movie.

This Review would seem to agree with you. (scroll down to the text)

Last edited:
Just saw it as well.

Wow. Awesome movie - didn't lionize him, and didn't turn him into an object lesson, either. Wow, wow, wow.

AT long last...it's coming to Amherst Cinema in MA on 11/24.:cool:

I don't plan to see this movie in a cineplex. Maybe on DVD - with the remote in one hand, and a (large/strong) drink in the other. For the simple reason that I am "one of those people" who cannot sit in a crowded room and watch something so graphic without possibly becoming nauseated/fainting (Ever seen "A Clockwork Orange" ?).

The technical term is "vasovagal syncope", where the mid-brain receives a traumatic/overt stimulus and an (imbalanced ?) autonomic fight/flight response causes blood pressure to plunge, leading to nausea, loss of hearing clamminess and a general feeling of panic/collapse.
The only semi-cure is......Medical School.
[One well-respected VFTT member fainted - due to an overly curious Moose]

I am not "afraid" of anything else, and I DONATE BLOOD on a regular basis. Unlike practicing Physicians I know, who have watched all manner of other-person grossness, but cannot stand a needle stuck in THEM.

JayH and ALGONQUIN BOB: You have obviously never experienced this queasy/debilitated sensation personally, or you would not have made such gleefully insensitive (7th grade) comments. But perhaps you were just (obliquely) stating the obvious; the upshot and (Hollywood) buildup of this movie is very well-publicized, and it is NOT for anybody with a "sensitive stomach". Much as the (current world tallest bldg) is not for acrophobes.

Caveat Emetor :)

MR

If all printers were determined not to print anything till they were sure it would offend nobody, there would be very little printed.

Benjamin Franklin

Exactly, Ferrisjrf. Caveat emptor = "(let the) buyer beware"
Only I made a pun: Caveat emetor = "(let the) Barfer beware" :)

Saw 127 hours last night

I read the book Between A Rock & Hard Place, loved it & found it inspiring. I saw the movie last night, also really liked it. Some of it is close to the original story but Aaron Ralston is portrayed as more of a party guy in the movie. In the movie when he cuts part of his arm off, he's screaming in pain. My memory of the book is that by the time he cut it off it, that part of his arm was dead, so it didn't hurt. I did cover my face a few times during the amputation! It's a very compelling, completely absorbing movie. It does not at all glorify what he did. He realizes he was a complete idiot for not telling anyone what he did.

Same response to the movie about this true story as I had to "Titanic" - I know how it ends (never did see that Titanic movie). :rolleyes:

I'm glad I don't have this philosophy of not going to see a movie just because I know how it ends. That would've kept me from seeing lots of good movies...Schindler's List, Apollo 13, The Killing Fields, just to name a few. I also know exactly how every Steely Dan song ends, and yet I keep listening over and over and over.

Last edited:
... He realizes he was a complete idiot for not telling anyone what he did.

I listened to an interview today on NPR (on one of the XM radio versions) with him. He made the above point quite clearly.

Quite by chance, I talked briefly with him at the Whitney Portal trailhead a few months after the Utah incident. He was just coming off the mountain, and a group of friends and I were heading up. It was just the usual hiker talk related to how things went on his climb, but no conversation regarding the incident/accident.

127 hours

I just saw the movie last night (Upstate Films in Rhinebeck) and it was sit on the edge of your chair riveting for most of it. I felt like I was there. He really makes the point over and over that he was a dumb ass for not telling anyone where he was. It was interesting to see his thought process throughout the situation and how he managed to keep calm for the most part.

Even if he lost the circulation to his hand, he cut through the part of his arm that was exposed and alive and he had to break his arm to do it, so he for sure had pain. Even people with serious peripheral vascular disease and cyanotic feet still feel pain. You only stop feeling pain when it's necrotic.

I read the book Between A Rock & Hard Place, loved it & found it inspiring. I saw the movie last night, also really liked it. Some of it is close to the original story but Aaron Ralston is portrayed as more of a party guy in the movie. In the movie when he cuts part of his arm off, he's screaming in pain. My memory of the book is that by the time he cut it off it, that part of his arm was dead, so it didn't hurt. I did cover my face a few times during the amputation! It's a very compelling, completely absorbing movie. It does not at all glorify what he did. He realizes he was a complete idiot for not telling anyone what he did.

I had read the book and loved it. Saw the movie last week and liked it a whole lot but thought that it did not do Aaron justice. There was so much in book that is not included in the film. This prompted me to go to the library to get his book on CD. He reads it which I think is a nice plus. It's nice to be reminded in more detail about who Aaron really is, his personality, his accomplishments, and yes...even his somewhat goofy and at times "irresponsible" adventures. It is much more all encompassing than the film.

He's all grown up with a family now, and it appears his kids will reap the harvest of a young dad who loves the great outdoors with every ounce of his being.

Listening to the audio book, I am reminded of the Gonzales book Deep Survival. No denying Aaron is a survivor. He was one very busy boy in that canyon which seems to be a prerequisite for survival.

Just saw it today. Excellent. 5/5 stars. I have a low tolerance for over-dramatized hollywood crap, and this movie had little to none of that. Highly recommend it. Sobering for someone who has done his share of not letting people know where he's going hiking.

SPOILER ALERT!!! STOP READING IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN IT YET. THE FOLLOWING IS FOR THOSE WHO'VE SEEN THE MOVIE OR DON'T INTED TO. Just a few comments: short movie, about 90 minutes. Very little before and after, just concentrated on the canyon incident. Seemed like his beard was longer on sunday than monday (yeah, I know, movies are rarely shot in sequence). Stupid un-subtle product placement of Capital One credit card (yeah, I know, ch-ching). Amputation scene was solid...not white-washed, but not gratuitously graphic. Same with the hallucinations...just enough, not too much. Franco nailed it.

Here's a clip from an NBC News story when he returned to the canyon