Beginning winter hiking - which trails to start out on?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Holy smokes, $35 vs. $330 for Brambors vs the Thommen that you linked to Doug...! If I can get away with the cheap one, for now at least, I'll have to. I've a fabulous wealth of friendship and love and all that, but money, not so much. Don't laugh, being po' is just one choice of many; we all make sacrifices in certain areas to live in certain ways of our choosing...!
Thrommens were the standard by which all others were measured.

The 27,000 ft model was only $79 in the [19]72/73 EMS catalog. Does that sound better? Accuracy +-30 ft, temp compensated -40F to +100F. This model was taken on a number of Himalayan expeditions.

I only have a 5000m metric model. (The similar 15,000 ft model was only $58 in the catalog.)

Will store info on Hi Cannon and KRT via Coppermine for the future. Both sound engaging!
If you like steep, you will really enjoy the KRT from Copprmine Col. :) Take an ice axe--among other uses, you will need it for hooking trees and pull-ups. Hi Cannon is a bit tamer--however, we have used a rope to help beginners up the ladders. (Come to think of it, a rope might be handy for belaying on the KRT... :) )

Just for the record--this section of the KRT is not for beginners.

Doug

Last edited:
Mike P, thanks for the anecdote about N. Twin and snow depth... hadn't thought to consider that this might be a factor in shelter! Never heard of those non-Whites ones you mentioned but I appreciate them; I'll be traveling a bit in the next few weeks and may be in the Northampton MA area with some free time, so might well be looking for something to do in that area.

Hi Harp:

If you go to Northampton, I highly recommend Mt. Tom, nearby, approached from the north side on the New England/Metacomet-Monadnock Trail. I'd say only go in good weather - it's no joke, and you're walking along a cliff-line - a beautiful one, at that, with magnificent views to Monadnock in one direction, the Greens in another, Greylock in another and Greater Hartford and Springfield to the south. Unless everything melts, which I doubt, you'd want to bring along all equipment. The southern approach via side trails to the M-M and then the M-M itself is quite steep - the grade is over 30-50% for much of it, though the nice thing is that you get to the summit fast. Maybe go up it, but I'd say not down in winter, certainly not in ice, without crampons. A loop hike over Mt. Holyoke from the west side would also be nice, as would Mt. Norwottuck - Holyoke, though a couple hundred feet shorter, has much better views. Mt. Toby's very good hiking, too, and it has nice views from the fire tower at its summit. Though it's higher than Tom and Holyoke, I think they are much prettier and have more dramatic views, especially Tom.

To Mike's non-White recommendations, I'd add Greylock via the Hopper Trail and the A.T. (or the roads). I found the Hopper Trail pretty easy last spring. It has some stretches in the 20-25% grade range, but it would likely be well beaten most days and is a very pretty trail, prettier than Cheshire Harbor, of which I've done the upper half. C.H. would be easier, and the road walk option up high would kick in at about the same place as for the Hopper Route. If you go up Hopper, I'd recommend there-and-back, with Overlook Trail as a possible variation - it reputedly has awesome views on its more level stretch, which I haven't done yet. I have done the part that descends off the cone, and it's not too bad. The problem with looping via the A.T. and back down via Money Brook Trail is that the latter trail is rough and steep. Not saying not doable, but I found it a knee cruncher. It is a very beautiful trail, though, and in the winter would be a treat. You could look at going up it and down Hopper, as well. The State of Mass's Greylock Reservation site is excellent, with good maps and route recommendations: http://www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/mtGreylock/brochures.htm

Also, re: Everett, the Race Brook Falls Trail is quite steep in places but extraordinarily pretty, any time of year, and especially in winter. I played around there twice in the winter of 2010-11 and had a ball in all that snow. Took a ton of pics, if you're interested, which appear very early in my Panoramio stream - lots of neat ice sculptures amid the waterfalls, of which there are 6. It's a very popular trail and likely to be well packed - it's a route to the A.T. between Everett and neighboring Mt. Race, both of which are beauts. Everett's southern ascent might be quite difficult in winter, expecially if icy - there is one stretch at 40-50% grade, a few hundred yards long. I'd expect the trails to be easy to follow, but I've only gone as high as 1800', to the top of the falls, in winter. Everett's at 2602', Race at 2365'.

Last edited:
Hi Harp,

An awful lot of good advice here. One thing I would add (or reiterate) - if you head above treeline, have your escape route planned before leaving the trees. Ideally, have an option for heading out (other than the trail you headed in on) if the weather suddenly turns to white out and you lose your sense of direction. There are multiple escape routes in the Pressies down drainages, etc, but you will need to know the compass bearing and have a compass handy in order to efficiently get out of there. Not a time for the compass to be buried in your med kit, have it around your neck or someplace close. You won't be looking at a map in conditions like this.

http://chauvinguides.com/PresiTraverse/presiescapes.pdf

This is a link to multiple escape routes along the Presidential Range; our fearless moderator Tim (BHSF) suggested it once in a thread on Pressie Traverses as I recall.

From reading your other posts over the years, you're in good shape - that's the double-edged sword of being able to get far above treeline, and therefore far from safety very quickly. This kind of mental preparation is equal as a safety measure to your emergency bivy sack. If you already carry a bag, I'd stick with that. I'd also agree with others and highly recommend knowing the basics of a compass for winter travel and don't buy a cheap compass. And enjoy it - IMO winter is the best time in the Whites.

My first winter snowshoe hike was Mt. Morgan (near Squam lake) popular, nice view, good choice.

Next up was a failed attempt on Cardigan (good learning day though - bad conditions that day, now I know and would never attempt an open summit like that in weather we were in that day)

Then came Tecumseh, Jackson, Tom, Passaconaway and so it began :)

You learn and get more comfortable as you go, you already know the basics - now it's winter, so you just want to keep moving to stay warm - breaking trail is fun, but you can't do it alone for more than a few miles - it's exhausting, even with 2 people, I've had to turn back a few times, but it's all part of the fun! Happy trails!

My first winter snowshoe hike was Mt. Morgan (near Squam lake) popular, nice view, good choice.

Next up was a failed attempt on Cardigan (good learning day though - bad conditions that day, now I know and would never attempt an open summit like that in weather we were in that day)

Then came Tecumseh, Jackson, Tom, Passaconaway and so it began :)

You learn and get more comfortable as you go, you already know the basics - now it's winter, so you just want to keep moving to stay warm - breaking trail is fun, but you can't do it alone for more than a few miles - it's exhausting, even with 2 people, I've had to turn back a few times, but it's all part of the fun! Happy trails!

Starting locally is good as Michelle said. I'd opt for the Holyokes, including Bare over Tom, these were part of my training before I tackled my first winter 4K, Liberty.

Somewhere I even have a picture of Michelle climbing the last pitch up Moriah on a winter trip.

Race Brook is a good winter way to get to Race & Everett, it does have two brook crossings, one at the foot of the falls that can be tricky when icy. Bear actually has more exposure to weather as you approach the top than Everett. Race is more open but only as you get near the top.

I've used the map a couple of times but don't have GPS or an altimeter. I have only once or twice gone places I was unfamiliar with & have aborted bushwhacks when I've felt uncomfortable. (SW Hunter one year with only a few inches of snow comes to mind) I've done about 60% of my trips solo, while Washington was solo, it was on such a calm day, there was plenty of company. (planned to have others join, they all had changes in their schedule last minute)

Brunton and others make analog altimeters in the $40 range too! Search the web and you'll find them easily. Though Thommen sets the standard they set the price at the high bar for accuracy and range. The different ranges have to do with whether your intent includes 14ers out west. Mine is similar to the Brunton and has never been off 100ft of elevation. You dial in at your known elevation at the trailhead and wise to make a mental or written note of what the barometric pressure is versus the altitude scale. Its quite easy actually. For instance, I'm at home and mine shows about 30.4inHg for sea level (0ft elevation) when I am dialed in to 250 ft for my known elevation. If I dial in at a trailhead I look at where sea level is and note it. This way if the outer ring gets bumped around and inadvertently changes your altitude you can correct it with some confidence. Forty dollars buys you a practical gadget and gives you a decent reference of how high up the mountain you are. If a trail doesn't have alot of switchbacks or features you can pick out on the map its also nice to look at the altimeter and "reward" yourself with knowing "hey, I'm already at 3500ft" on the otherhand if your if your having a tough time and a slow day you may wish to keep it stowed in the pack because it can be akin to the watched clock! None of the advice being presented is there to scare you away from winter hiking just provided to let you be aware of the real perils in hopes that you plan and schedule so you get the most out of a wonderful season to be out!

Don't be too quick to poo-poo ski areas because they have a good escape route, especially the KRT and Mt. Tecumseh trails -- if you lose the trail, follow the contour towards the ski trails. Kevin's point about the top of Cannon holds true for pretty much any time above treeline in low visibility - not just for Cannon.

Tim

Don't be too quick to poo-poo ski areas because they have a good escape route, especially the KRT and Mt. Tecumseh trails -- if you lose the trail, follow the contour towards the ski trails.
A good strategy in some areas, but not necessarily on Cannon. If you go around on the East side, it may lead you onto Cannon Cliff (1000ft high face requiring high-standard technical climbing--where the Old Man used to reside) and if you go around on the West side you can also end up on some steep and nasty terrain (but at least not technical).

Ski areas, where available, can offer safe routes off a mountain. Just don't get hit by a grooming machine.

Doug

<meta comment>
A number of the suggestions focus on the western MA area. We should note that the OP is from central Maine. (These suggestions, however, may be useful to others.)
</meta comment>

That said, Monadnock is a good beginning peak. It also requires skill in dodging crowds--a useful skill if you ever want to go on a commercial trip to Everest... :)

Doug

A good strategy in some areas, but not necessarily on Cannon. If you go around on the East side, it may lead you onto Cannon Cliff (1000ft high face requiring high-standard technical climbing--where the Old Man used to reside) and if you go around on the West side you can also end up on some steep and nasty terrain (but at least not technical).

Ski areas, where available, can offer safe routes off a mountain. Just don't get hit by a grooming machine.

Doug

But it works flawlessly in the area Kevin expressed concern about - above the lookout where the KRT drops down before coming out of the trees - you can walk right over to the ski area from there (I have done so).

Tim

Last edited:
Tim - mostly I agree with your list except for Cannon - the top section, as it begins to wander around the summit cone, can be really dicey in low-vis conditions. Plus, it's ungodly steep. It's a quick ascent for the experienced peakbagger, but I wouldn't recommend it for a newbie. There's really no easy way up Cannon.

Damn ... and I was going to recommend Cannon. Visibility above tree line on any hike can be a problem and the safe thing anywhere, if uncomfortable navigating, is to drop back below the trees and do it another time. What I like about Cannon is that it poses sufficient challenge to be fun while providing a bailout ... a compass bearing towards the ski trail will get you down and the facilities at the summit where you can warm up and take the gondola down if necessary. All the suggestions presented are worthy hikes, each one has some pros and cons. To me Cannon presented a good balance between a rigorous hike and safety options.

But it works flawlessly in the area Kevin expressed concern about - above the lookout where the KRT drops down before coming out of the trees - you can walk right over to the ski area from there (I have done so).
Yes--for that area only.

I wouldn't want someone remembering that particular piece of advice and trying to apply it from elsewhere on the mountain.

The powers-that-be at Canon don't like people walking on their slopes, so the ski slopes should only be used in an emergency.

IMO, Cannon is not too difficult in winter via Hi-Cannon Tr. We have taken beginners up and down it. (This was a college outing club trip.) I set up a rope along the stairs as a hand line for the beginners, but you don't really need it. This route has tree cover the whole way. The trail is very easy to follow high up (the only trail finding difficulties, if any, are low down). IIRC the best winter route is to take Lonesome Lake Tr to the NE corner of the lake and then take the cut-off over to Hi-Canon.

Doug

Last edited:
<meta comment>
A number of the suggestions focus on the western MA area. We should note that the OP is from central Maine. (These suggestions, however, may be useful to others.)
</meta comment>

<meta reply>The OP later mentioned that she'd be headed to Northampton, MA, soon, which brought up much of the Mass discussion. As well, another poster said he was just looking to be helpful to other beginner winter hikers with some of the southern New England and New York suggestions. I, a relative newbie to winter hiking, certainly appreciated his contributions and was moved to chime in.</meta reply>

I just had a nice, easy, short jaunt on the southernmost A.T. in New England, a couple miles in about 4" of snow base, well packed, in Sherman, CT, Rt. 55 to Ten Mile Hill and back. Was a much easier outing for me than last weekend, as this snow was better packed, much less powdery, and there was a lot less of it than we got last weekend in central CT.

Last edited:
Yes--for that area only.

I wouldn't want someone remembering that particular piece of advice and trying to apply it from elsewhere on the mountain.

And I wouldn't want anyone panicking thinking that if they went towards the ski area, they'd fall off a "1000ft high face requiring high-standard technical climbing". You can follow the sounds of the chairlifts even in near-zero visibility. Below the viewpoint, I have always found the trail easy to follow. Besides, if you go north or west from the KRT, you won't come to the cliff in question at any elevation as that is to the south and east. You can see the Tram cables from many points along the way (in good weather, obviously.)

Tim

Last edited:
! I'm a she. But whatevs, it's all good.

All these recommendations are great, regardless of locale. I travel a lot, though traveling with all the right gear is a bit more of a challenge. I'm more likely to make it happen if it's ME or NH. (Actually heading to NYC next week and have a bunch of weirdly placed days off between gigs; NoHo just looked like an easy drive due North, which is why I mentioned it.)

I am inexplicably not a fan of Cannon but appreciate the discussion regardless. And was just at Lonesome Lake last month, in early snow (no snowshoes required), so prob want to diversify. Still fixated a bit on the Carter Notch area idea. We'll see.

Last edited:
I think you can stick with the cheap Altimeter, or if you already have a smart phone, get an APP that does GPS functions, like Back Country Navigator (which is very cheap, comparatively, and has worked well for me so far). As long as you calibrate your device when you start, and check it regularly for accuracy against the map, or other factors (see below), you should be good to go.

However, a couple of caveats.

• If the weather is worsening, (pressure decreasing), it will read higher.
  • If the weather is improving, (pressure increasing), it will read lower.
  • Colder temperatures increase the reading. You can Google it, or roughly speaking, for 32F, it's 'correct', for 16F, the error is about 10%, and for 0F, it's about 15%.