Snow-free hikes?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Though not too big (2-3.5 miles RT, just a bit over 1k vert), Red Hill and Bald Knob are snow free and (before the rain) mud free.

From the road, it seems that Peaked and Middle Mountain in North Conway may be snow free too.

In Vermont, yesterday, I found the Homer Stone Trail in S Wallinford to the LT & Little Rock Pond snow free. River crossing is tricky but plenty of rocks to hop upstream.

Sabrina

Welch-Dickey is most likely snow free by now. I hiked the loop on the 22nd and the only significant snow then was in the trees. It wasn't deep and was hard packed, no postholes. I'd imagine most, if not all snow would be gone by now.

Last edited:
The Roost

I was on the Roost Tuesday, 24 Apr. There was some patchy loose snow but I barebooted up and down the North half of the loop with no problem. The gate is still closed on 113 so add about 2-2.5 miles to your round trip.
-vegematic

Hmm, I worry about bugs this year, since we've had a late melt and there will be standing water during prime hatching time. Just yesterday I had several of them fly into my mouth while on a bike ride. Maybe its going to be a bad year...hopefully not as bad as last year.

Grand Monadnock

Monadnock via the Pumpelley Trail yesterday was virtually snow free. There is an inch or two left in some upper cols, but nothing requiring snowshoes. It's also much drier than I expected. Where water ran down or pooled the trail one was still able to rock hop.

I just did Pleasant Mt. (ME) this afternoon. There was no snow at all on the Ledges trail. The entire southern half of the massif seems to be clear of snow. There may be a bit left in places on the more sheltered nothern end but it won't last long. On a clear day the VFTT on Pleasant Mt. are great. There is still a bit of butt sliding left on Shawnee peak but it won't last long.

Early Bird said:
Monadnock via the Pumpelley Trail yesterday was virtually snow free. There is an inch or two left in some upper cols, but nothing requiring snowshoes. It's also much drier than I expected. Where water ran down or pooled the trail one was still able to rock hop.

Wow! I was there just one week prior to you and the ranger had talked me out of hiking Pumpelly saying it had 2 feet of soft, slush snow which would be a long, hard slog! What a difference a week makes in these parts!!

HikerAmiga said:
Wow! I was there just one week prior to you and the ranger had talked me out of hiking Pumpelly saying it had 2 feet of soft, slush snow which would be a long, hard slog! What a difference a week makes in these parts!!
No kidding! When I was at Wildcat yesterday, I heard they lost upwards of 3 feet of base depth in just a week...big difference since I had last skied it!

rocket21 said:
When I was at Wildcat yesterday, I heard they lost upwards of 3 feet of base depth in just a week...big difference since I had last skied it!
That sounds like good news for those of us who hate hiking in rotting snow. I write "sounds" because rocket21 is talking of exposed slopes; I fear that under the trees there is much less melting.

Mohamed Ellozy said:
That sounds like good news for those of us who hate hiking in rotting snow. I write "sounds" because rocket21 is talking of exposed slopes; I fear that under the trees there is much less melting.
Sadly, that's mostly a base area comment. There's still plenty of snow 3000' and above. Lower elevation woods still have a good half foot at least.

Doublehead Mtn

I hope we can keep this thread going thru May as I'm not expecting any 4000'ers to be snow free before Memorial Day.

I did Doublehead Mtn today and it's completly snow free. I suspect the other Squam area peaks are bare too. (The parking lot for Morgan was full when I drove by this afternoon).

Doublehead is a nice altervative to the more heavily traveled Morgan/Percival loop. I didnt see a soul on the trail today. The Guide doesnt describe where to park very well. Look for what must be a recently placed street sign, "Thompson St" on Rt 113 and park there, about 2 miles beyond the Percival trailhead.

bob

Green Mountain (a bit shy of 2k in elevation) SE of routes 16 and 25 is almost completely dry (a few small patches of mud and snow, easily avoidable).

dentonfabrics said:
I hope we can keep this thread going thru May as I'm not expecting any 4000'ers to be snow free before Memorial Day.

I did Doublehead Mtn today and it's completly snow free. I suspect the other Squam area peaks are bare too. (The parking lot for Morgan was full when I drove by this afternoon).

Doublehead is a nice altervative to the more heavily traveled Morgan/Percival loop. I didnt see a soul on the trail today. The Guide doesnt describe where to park very well. Look for what must be a recently placed street sign, "Thompson St" on Rt 113 and park there, about 2 miles beyond the Percival trailhead.

bob
While I agree the peaks look like that, Im always amazed at how fast the snow clears with the arrival of warm weather. I think its possible there are alot of snow free 4ks by memorial day weekend. Thats not to say there will be zero snow, but it could be close in many areas.

The southern approach to Mt. Pemi, by the Indian Head Trail, has been snow-free for some time. Today I climbed it from the north, by the Mt. Pemi Trail, and it was also (almost) snow-free.