Best post-hike restaurants, bars, pizzerias, ice cream, etc.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blacknblue

Reaction score
Coming back on an unfamiliar route after a hike yesterday with The Lovely, we realized that we did not know of any good places to stop and eat along the way. Sometimes those off-the-back-road joints are hidden gems, and sometimes you are better off eating the dirt on your boots.

With that in mind, I thought it would be interesting to poll VFTTers on their favorite places to stop after a hike for a pizza, burger, beer, ice cream cone, et cetera. Maybe we can get 10% discounts if VFTTers patronize the same place often enough. :)

Here are a few to get us started....

Lincoln, NH -- GH Pizzeria. I almost always crave pizza after a hike, and GH hits the spot every time. It is located on Rt. 112 and the intersection with Connector Road. They only take cash, but there is an ATM across the street. Also, there is a soft-serve ice cream shoppe next door.

Plymouth, NH -- Tenny Mt Pizza. I don't go through Plymouth on the way home, except to skirt it on Rt. 25 from I-93 to Rumney. TMP is on Rt. 25, just east of the intersection with WalMart. TMP has $4 burgers (which I've never had) and good, inexpensive pizza.

Rochester, VT -- there is a good soft-serve place on the corner of the town green, adjacent to the shortcut road to Bethel. This is on my must-stop list for all central VT hikes.

What are some others?

Here are a few to get us started....

Lincoln, NH -- GH Pizzeria... [/QUOTE]

If your in Lincoln you're missing the boat if you're not going over to No. Woodstock to the Station Inn, Woodstock Jct, or what it's called.

Personally when I'm done from a solo I gotta hanker'n for McDonald's

sweeper said:
Personally when I'm done from a solo I gotta hanker'n for McDonald's

I'm with you there! On the Rte. 16 side, if time allows the Smokehouse in Ossippee is a good take. I also got a great steak and cheese at Elvios in Lincoln not too long ago.

Let me be the first to mention Moat Mountain Brewery on 302/16.

Half Baked and Fully Brewed in Lincoln makes a good cup of coffee.

Good thread!

sweeper said:
If your in Lincoln you're missing the boat if you're not going over to No. Woodstock to the Station Inn, Woodstock Jct, or what it's called.

Heck yeah! Used to always go there for the chili bread bowls and a pint of oatmeal stout! Best post-hike meal ever! Happy hour until five means half off appetizers and beer making that bill about 5 bucks.

We had a previous thread on this very topic, but I couldn't find it with a quick search. Some of the info in that thread is probably out of date by now, but a link would be good if someone can find it.

-dave-

Woodstock Station

I'll add my vote for the Woodstock Station in Woodstock, NH! Great beer and great food. 3pm to 5pm is happy hour for half price drafts and half price appetizers.

Categories

Quick & Cheap: Dunkin Donuts

Semi-quick: Cascade Coffee (I think this is the one across from Woodstock Station). If not, the one across from Woodstock Station is the one I mean.

Sit Down & Relax: Woodstock Station

Drive a bit, but worth the wait: Vinnie's Pizza Concord, NH

dentonfabrics said:
Let me be the first to mention Moat Mountain Brewery on 302/16.

Half Baked and Fully Brewed in Lincoln makes a good cup of coffee.

Good thread!

I agree with Denton, also like flat bread pizza and the little coffee shop next to it, both located in the Eastern Slope Inn building.

Margurita Grill used to be one of my favorite places anywhere, but it always crowded so I don't stop.

grog

Post hike places to eat.

On the Rt. 16 side of things- Almost There (just south of the Kanc) has awesome steak subs and cheap beer. It's a biker bar, so they don't mind a few stinky post-hike diners!

I've gotta disagree on this one. Been there many , many times. Overpriced beers, lousy overpriced food and the servers always have a bad attitude.
I'll never go back there, Truant's Tavern is much better.

In Lincoln, Half Baked was mentioned and that is a great place for coffee and snacks.
There is also the Gypsie Cafe in Lincoln off 112 that I'd recommend. Prices are decent and the food very tasty.
And in Woodstock, I'd recommend the Woodstock Inn. Plenty of variety for whatever you are in the mood for (for food or beer) and prices aren't bad. That and if its the afternnon the red sox happen to be on, enjoy the game!

I love Flatbread in North Conway.

I was disappointed a few weeks ago to learn that the bakery in Stow has closed and the building is for sale. I always used to stop there when I (infrequently) went for a hike in Evans Notch.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Common Man in Lincoln. The couch in front of the giant fireplace is an amazing place to have a brew, eat your free cheese and crackers, and enjoy their food. The bartender is a great guy, they don't mind stinky hikers/skiers, and it's so comfortable.

If anyone ever hikes Ludlow in VT, go to the Loft. Holy moly is their food good.