11 types of people you meet on a hike

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Funny AND true!

(Well, I haven't met prison escapee yet, but I recognize all the others.)

Actually, wait- there's 1 the list left out-

Mr. Bring Urban Blight into the mountains where people go to escape it. Miss your neighbor blasting his music at 3am? Miss that graffiti on the overpass on your trail run? No problem, here it comes...

#12 the "alligator eggers". A rag tag group of strange hikers that go up to every hiker and ask if they have alligator eggs.:eek:

Last edited:
#13: The Expert: knows that everything from your gear to your plans to how the trail is maintained is wrong. And will tell you about it. In detail.

and somewhat more local:

#14 Biker Dude: in the area because of Bike Weekend and thought it would be a fun idea to do a little hiking. Often confused with The Prison Escape and The Out-of-Shape Dude but easily distinguished by his leathers and the pack of hogs in the parking area.

Haha, this is an awesome thread!

I have met EACH & EVERY ONE of the people described, yes, including the "prison escapee"!! :eek: :D

#15 - High maintenance hiker: needs to be taken care of, always complaining, drama magnet... :p

#16: Sexist "gentleman."

"Where's your husband?"

"Shouldn't your boyfriend carry that heavy backpack?"

"Where's her father?"

"You're not out here all by yourself, are you?" (This while ignoring the male solo hiker who passes by).

The vacuum sealed hiker: You can't see any exposed skin except their face, they have their gaiters nice and tight and pants tucked in. They know what they are doing and they are confident. They just finished the 46/48 and are now out as a king over kingdom taking along their friend who is eating up all the crap they are talking and reliving things like the day they did the Bonds in a single day.

#15 - High maintenance hiker: needs to be taken care of, always complaining, drama magnet... :p
Does this sound familiar? Waah, I had to dig that snow pit for 2 hours..wwaaah!:)

extremists are those who take the trail less traveled, i.e. off to the side in good weather or go down kamikaze style a mountain in snowshoes.

#17 The bewildered!

What trail are we on?
How much longer to the top?
Is there a bathroom nearby?
Do you think it will rain?
Are you carrying a mouse under your goggles? (true story!)
What’s that?
Can we see Everest from the top?
Can I have that?

THE ARM CHAIR HIKER. Oh wait we're talking about people you would meet on the trail. Sorry :)

The med students. Usually in multiple groups of four. Easily recognized by the matching brand new equipment. Sent out by the medical school administration in the first week of their first year in medical school to spend the first few days at peace before spending the next four years attempting to slit each others throats.

The Pace Car/Tail Gater

He knows you're just behind him on the trail. He's going slow. You're politely waiting for him to let you by without you having to ask the obvious. He could have stepped aside many times but does not. Eventually, he steps aside. You fly by then all of a sudden, he's scraping your heels for a quarter mile to let you know how fast he can hike.