2009 Year in Preview...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ha ha! Not a lot of takers for that one! Fortunately, the Rivards left the trail in great shape, so not too much will be needed until the right adopter comes along.

Plans for 2009:

Continue to help my BF rehab from broken pelvis
Hike the NJ AT
Keep up my adopted trail
GPS log Mt. Eisenhower Loop
Find a trail adopter for the Davis Path: Mt. Isolation-Mt. Davis
Hike the Cohos Trail
Continue the "Long Distance Hike/Collect Unemployment" continuum
Adopt a new cat

Last edited:
process...
[*]Start my HH list
[/LIST]

HH?! Go for the 115!! :)

[*]Boyfriend ;)

[/LIST]

Hmmm....don't think that will be a problem...now that you've just reached out to VfTT's 3k plus members!!! :rolleyes::p

There are quite a few couples who've met here....

Wasn't there a thread or part thereof about a year back where the young men were lamenting on the lack of single, twenty-something woman hikers on this board..I think you may have just hit the jackpot, Lari!

Last edited:
Since my wife and I are looking for a new house, my 2009 plans might change big time. But my list as of now is:

Hike the NPT
Visit a few more areas along the FingerLakesTrail
Hike the northern section of The Long Path
Paddle up the Oswegatchie
Paddle the Floodwood area
Paddle the St Regis area
Check out at least 3 new Wild Forest or Wilderness areas in the ADK's I have never visited (or haven't been to in the last 15 years).

goal: 400 miles afoot/afloat

Such ambitious plans.

I'm fascinated by all the different plans everyone has put forth. Some of you have some great goals.

Mine plans are much simpler. I just want to get out and hike a few times. I managed 0 trail time in 2008, so I'm jonesing for the mountains.

2009 planz:

-Ice climbing
-Mt. Washington in February
-Family Disney vacation during witner break
-Knock out a couple additional winter ADK 46r's
-More ice climbing
-Start leading on ice
-Take my kids up more ADK 46r's (they got bit by the bug after Cascade/Porter last summer)
-Start on the Catskill 35
-Rock climbing at the Gunks!
-Bunch o' local hikes with the kids
-Climb Rogers Rock with Chip (Ha! Thought I forgot, didn't ya...)
-Summer trip out west (Hood, Baker, Shuksan, Shasta...can't decide which)
-Run another adventure race
-Convert kids timberframe jungle gym into an outdoor home climbing wall

2009 Goals

- 2 weeks skiing in Japan in Feb :)
- Take off work on powder days and just go
- More backcountry, less lift served
- Hit several secret stashes that I can't tell you about
- Get better at taking pictures and video of skiing
- Hit the GoS, Tucks, Oakes, and the Snowfields
- Get out west for the corn harvest (stretch goal)

- Presie Traverse (haven't done one in 10 years)
- Explore the Mahoosucs more
- Kinsman Ridge end-to-end
- Spend more nights in a tent
- Full moon hike above treeline

- Try a sprint triathlon
- Lose weight and eat better
- Stay safe
- Have fun

I second so many of those goals, Dave! Skiing in Japan will be amazing.

Losing weight is always high on my list year after year. However among the many improvements I want to make, I think the key will be improving self discipline and identifying the right motivation for any goal.
Hopefully that will enable me to stick to the calorie budget, make me focus on pushing that bit harder when training and make me less of a chicken when it comes to pointing my skis down Left Gully this year. Yep, lots of skiing steep things is on my to-do list this year. :)
I also want to improve my ultramarathon times at all distances and improve at rockclimbing (hence double the need to weigh less and train more).
Oh, and improve my knowledge of microbreweries in New England.

I hope to accomplish the following in 2009:

(1) Three more winter peaks in the Catskills: Kaaterskill High Peak (done), Peekamoose & Table, giving me 25 down and 10 to go.
(2) Continue my day hiking AT section hiking with a trip in August to take me southbound from Kinsman Notch to West Hartford, VT.
(3) Continue my day hiking LT section hiking with a trip in July to take me from the Winooski River (Duxbury Road) to Middlebury Gap (VT 125). This also will give me three more 4,000 footer peaks toward my New England 67.
(4) Finish my traverse of the Shawangunk Ridge Trail.
(5) Resume in the summer my regular Wildcat Shelter Trail Angel series.
(6) Introduce my shih-tzu to the joys of hiking. He is now 9 months old and I started hiking with him this past fall.
(7) Start dayhiking the AT southbound in New York.