2009 Year in Preview...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puck

Reaction score
While looking back on 2008 lets also look forward to 2009. What is in store for you?

I got a lot of vacation time to burn during July and August.

Last edited:
I'd like to finish up both the ME & NH 200 Highest lists, put another dent in the Winter NEHH, whittle away at the CAT & ADK 3k's, and rescue Pig Pen from that city with the big ol' cracked bell for a weekend or two.

I would like to get as many winter 4K’s as I can before March 20th. I will also be attending the Wilderness First Responder course in June. Other than that, I just want a healthy and relatively happy 2009. Ok, maybe a dog.

1) Average one 4K peak a week. I think I can manage that without neglecting family obligations. Each year, as the kids get older, I can get out more and more.

2) Assist Alex in reaching her own hiking goals.

I'd love to get out more this year but Jim and I are both dealing with major family issues that are not letting us get too far away from home. We may do more hiking in north NJ and eastern PA versus the ADKs and Catskills. Toll increases in NJ and NY have made driving to the ADK's expensive. I figured out the other night that its $30 RT in tolls to get to the ADK's. :mad:

My goals for 2009:

Finish 67/67 of the NE4Ks
Finish 24/48 of the Winter NH4Ks
Hike a Presidential Traverse on the Summer Solstice
Hike a Pack Monadnock Marathon (up & down 10 times in one day)
Help my wife Kim with her NH4Ks
Hike a Hut to Hut this summer
Hike 1000+ miles (was a 2008 goal but I only managed 888 miles)

Hike a Pack Monadnock Marathon (up & down 10 times in one day)

Count me in on that! The most I've done it in one day is three times... :)

My goals:

• Climb as many 4ks as possible this winter. I'd love to finish them all in a single season, if I can find people to accompany me and don't completely destroy my body in the process...
  • Single day Pemi loop
  • Start my HH list
  • Boyfriend ;)

I just realized that none of my backcountry goals can be summarized with numbers.

But a few of my outdoor "goals" do include (not necessarily in order of importance): untracked powder, golden-crowned kinglets, birch glades, beer, friends, mountaintops at dusk, snow-laden spruces, swimming, orchids, tasty food and silence.

Hiking. OK, beyond that...

1. Lots of trailwork, on assigned trail, and branching out to the Cohos Trail to help

2. Refresher WFA course

3. Plotting (planning, its only a choice of words) an extended trip on trail with some family members who don't hike much. Expose them to all the fun.

4. Another Living History hike. Don't know which one or when yet.

5. See if my wife will actually stay in a Hut overnight just for the heck of it. She's heard about the wonderful lore of "musical accompaniment".

6. Seeing how the Hut idea will ultimately bomb, having her enjoy her first overnighter regardless. Maybe turn Owl's Head into an overnighter.

7. One week on the Cohos Trail, we'd like to do it in September.

8. I really look foward to hopefully meeting some fellow VFTT'ers on trail. I've only ever met one, and that was this past year.

9. Staying healthy and keeping a good sense of humor, long enough to accomplish all this.

• Finish the Catskills 35.
  • Presidential traverse.
  • Pemi loop.
  • Dix Range traverse.
  • Hike my first Vermont 4k'ers.
  • Continue chomping away at the ADK 46 and NE 115.
  • Finish the NJ 1K'ers.
  • Kittatinny Ridge thru-hike.

Last edited:
For 2009 I am working on the NE67, NEHH, and W48. I do not expect to finish any one (I will probably finish the VT 4Ks ;)) I also hope to get the kids and my wife on another 5-6 of the NH 4Ks.

I too would like to do the Presi Traverse.

Tim

2009 is still much up in the air for me. I have to do a 6 week internship over the summer for my school, so plans are very much up in the air for that. If I have the time, though, I’d like to thru-hike the Northville Placid trail, and do as many of my summer 46 and summer 100 highest as possible. I might even finish the winter 46 if time allows.
Plus the usual of as much paddling, camping, biking, swimming, bushwhacking, and general exploration as possible! Who knows? Maybe I’ll even expand into some new areas that I’ve read so many great things about, such as the Catskills and the Whites!

knock off some more of the W48 and NEHH, learn how to use my edged XC skis,
take a WFA class, explore all the remote ponds on the east side of Smart's/Cube, complete reclamation of my current AT boundary segment, and start another, clear the view on S.Moose (I have approval), hike with the kids, take the oldest(8), on her 1st overnight somewhere, and just basically have fun in the woods.:cool:

2009: Year of the Pit Toilets

There are a lot of pit toilets to visit in the Whites. I might try to do both all-season and winter pit toilet hikes. Oh, and prepare for 3rd annual Gary Moody Memorial Hike. ::Sniff Sniff:: It's been almost 4 years, Gary, we all hope that you're well!!

So next time you're in a privy, look down! Or maybe you want to come down and join us! Pit Toilet Traverses: the Pemi Loop of 2009!!

-Dr. Wu

Last edited:
There are a lot of pit toilets to visit in the Whites. I might try to do both all-season and winter pit toilet hikes. Oh, and prepare for 3rd annual Gary Moody Memorial Hike. ::Sniff Sniff:: It's been almost 4 years, Gary, we all hope that you're well!!

So next time you're in a privy, look down! Or maybe you want to come down and join us! Pit Toilet Traverses: the Pemi Loop of 2009!!

-Dr. Wu

And when will there be a pit toilet patch coming out?