6 Tufts Students Rescued From Dry River

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the link, it's not so often that we get detailed reports from folks who have been rescued, and this one is quite enlightening.

Reading the students' account, it sounds to me like they had appropriate gear and reasonable training/experience for this hike. They made a wrong turn, hiked into some dicey terrain, and decided they were in over their heads and called for help. I'll stop short of saying, "it could happen to anyone," as I don't think that's quite accurate - someone should have noticed very quickly that they were travelling nearly due east instead of west, especially if the trail was unbroken. THAT SAID, I personally know at least one very experienced winter hiker (NH W48, Denali, Rainier, etc.) who has on more than one occasion led his group down the wrong side of the mountain in the winter. I'll once again preach the value of map and compass skills, as this is yet another rescue that could have been avoided by simply taking a bearing near Mitzpah, where the trails might have been a little confusing, or taking a bearing when the group encountered deep snow and an unbroken trail (which should have alerted them to the possibility that something wasn't quite right).

Still, the group kept their heads and didn't make a lot of hasty, poor decisions once they realized their predicament, and that is commendable.

Finally, I'm a little bothered by the response of Tufts Mountain Club President Julia Ouimet: “From a planning and preparedness standpoint, these students did nothing wrong. So we’re kind of counting it as a success... It isn’t so much a matter of preventing future TMC members from accidentally taking the wrong trail,” she said. “It is a matter of ensuring that they are prepared to handle the situation when they do."

I don't agree with that sentiment. I think it IS a matter of ensuring TMC members don't take the wrong trail. Yes, it is good to be able to handle an emergency once one arises, but it is better to avoid the emergency in the first place - I think that is getting lost here. There's an analogous situation as it relates to avalanche safety: I sometimes see folks putting in a lot of time to hone their skills with an avalanche beacon, while spending little or no time on snow dynamics and means of avoiding avalanches in the first place. The focus is in the wrong place. I'm sure Ouimet wants to put a positive spin on this situation, I get that, but let's not overlook what could be learned from this rescue.

I tend to agree. I also don’t feel that this is a finable offense. If they are fined, then F&G is basically saying you must be infallible while hiking in the WMNF.

Thanks for posting the link. It does provide some details.

I focused on this quote from the story: The map indicated that the trail they accidentally took would have also led back to Route 302, their intended destination, Melick noted. “We knew which direction we needed to go [in],” she said. “The only thing we weren’t sure about, simply because we didn’t have a GPS, was how much mileage we had until the road.” Since when to you need a GPS to calculate your mileage on a map? Look at the legend, take out your thumb, and do the rough calculation.

The trail behind them was broken behind them, they had headlamps, they had extra food; they could have just climbed back up the mountain and get back on the right trail. [They could have been exhausted and were unable to move any further; the story does not elaborate].

Anyhow, I am happy they are safe.

To me this account suggests an over dependance on equipment and outside rescue rather than preparation, skills, self reliance.

Had they checked ahead of time, they would have known that the Dry River Valley was not a good option (and closed...). They seem to have gone a long way before realizing they were on the wrong trail (it was unbroken...) and when they realized they were on the wrong trail, they didn't turn around. And then they stopped because it was dark, even though they had headlamps...

IMO, this is consistent with unqualified leaders...

However, there is still the question of the accuracy of this report. If it was written by someone who did not understand winter hiking, it could easily emphasize beginner level issues while ignoring more advanced issues.

Doug

Certainly agree with the above analyses; I picked up on the same things in the report. To me, it reads as though it was written VERY carefully, to prepare the story for potential lawsuits from parents for "mental anguish" or whatever that may have been inflicted on their kids by being out all night.

I was just thinking...does that sign by Mizpah Hut that goes down Dry River mention 'Route 302'. It could be that they think...'oh, that's were our cars are parked, this must be the way back.'

To me this account suggests an over dependance on equipment and outside rescue rather than preparation, skills, self reliance.

Had they checked ahead of time, they would have known that the Dry River Valley was not a good option (and closed...). They seem to have gone a long way before realizing they were on the wrong trail (it was unbroken...) and when they realized they were on the wrong trail, they didn't turn around. And then they stopped because it was dark, even though they had headlamps...

IMO, this is consistent with unqualified leaders...

However, there is still the question of the accuracy of this report. If it was written by someone who did not understand winter hiking, it could easily emphasize beginner level issues while ignoring more advanced issues.

Doug

You are spot on Doug! This is glaring as a disclaimer and inappropriate praise all in one in my opinion! This is not just a random bunch of college kids! This is a group that labels themselves as a Mountain Club and this incident is a failure of the basics we learn at an elementary level. Any of the trails close to the Highland Center are generally packed out hard as pavement from the use they get. It seems to me they may have got in over their heads by being brazen when they found an unbroken trail and thinking they could, as a group, break it out as an alternate way to get to their destination. Once defeated by darkness they called for help instead of retreating well before the need for recruits! Yes they are young and great they were rescued but not happy to see their attitude about the outcome. Couldn't help but notice their campus paper advertising condoms now available in vending machines. Considering their approach to the rescue they probably have the morning after pills right beside them!;)

I think they did awesome. I have been in through portions there before. Found it esp confusing at Mitzpah hut particularly the 1st time through there.

Thought I might mention that after some of my snowshoe hikes I would post here that I hoped nobody would follow my tracks... either because I made a mistake, or simply wandered about with no particular destination. Mostly because I found in myself the tendency to follow snow tracks that were broken out.
I learned to think things through and carefully. I did not learn those lessons in one trip or even one year. Life lessons I would be more apt to call them.
Travelling solo did help me to learn those lessons...in a group I found it easy to just go along and not really pay attention to where I was going, just enjoying the camaraderie and what not. I would call it group mentality or herd mentality. I think we as people are prone to these things naturally as part of DNA so to speak.

Exhaustion cannot be overstated..
I"ve certainly hiked in that state more than once and made potentially big errors. Not that you are so far from anything, but nothing is gained by trying to make a destination only to drop dead in the effort. A group as we know is only as strong as it's weakest link.. I'm sure we have heard this many a time.

Exhausted on one big day. I even came across my own tracks just as I had hoped to...but then not thinking clearly ignored them telling myself the were not mine...and continued on. It took a significant effort of reasoning to tell myself I was making a big mistake and remind myself that I was not thinking properly. Returning to the intersection of my tracks I followed them out as originally planned.
I guess what I am trying to say is... if you are tired enough your own head will mess with you and get you disoriented...
My test to myself was if I looked at my compass and did not understand what it was telling me then it was time to stop and deal with it promptly food, fire, warmth anything that was necessary.

So yes, I think they did fine.
Liked the link... it takes a lot to put it all out there for others to critique.

No harm , no foul, no fine.

May they live long and prosper. (just thought I would throw that in)

Last edited:
It unfortunately never occurred to me to warn them of two trails going down from the hut.
In particular, IIRC to reach the Mizpah Cutoff you must continue on the A.T. another .1 mi, if they were thinking "turn off the A.T. at the hut" ...

I was just thinking...does that sign by Mizpah Hut that goes down Dry River mention 'Route 302'. It could be that they think...'oh, that's were our cars are parked, this must be the way back.'
I was wondering that myself. If their choices were "Rte. 302" and "Mt Jackson" it's obvious what the correct choice is :)

Somebody must have a photo of the signs

In particular, IIRC to reach the Mizpah Cutoff you must continue on the A.T. another .1 mi, if they were thinking "turn off the A.T. at the hut" ...

From 2009, so I can't vouch for the current signage being the same, but I can see someone wondering why the Mizpah cutoff is the opposite direction from the Crawford Path.

You are spot on Doug! This is glaring as a disclaimer and inappropriate praise all in one in my opinion! This is not just a random bunch of college kids! This is a group that labels themselves as a Mountain Club and this incident is a failure of the basics we learn at an elementary level. Any of the trails close to the Highland Center are generally packed out hard as pavement from the use they get. It seems to me they may have got in over their heads by being brazen when they found an unbroken trail and thinking they could, as a group, break it out as an alternate way to get to their destination. Once defeated by darkness they called for help instead of retreating well before the need for recruits! Yes they are young and great they were rescued but not happy to see their attitude about the outcome. Couldn't help but notice their campus paper advertising condoms now available in vending machines. Considering their approach to the rescue they probably have the morning after pills right beside them!;)
Well put bro!Very much a pack mentality here....You see someone jump off the bridge,so you jump too...Article was very scary IMHO.Article went to great lengths to claim how they knew what to do when things got bad.Seems like they are all very good at demonstrating how to do things the wrong way.What about backtracking?Seems like they owe about 50 to 60 grand now?Right?Randomness of how fish and game levies their fines is deplorable!!What if they were from a different socio-ecomnomic background?Can not imagine the comments then.Glad I went to Florida State where we trained in how to get lost and then get home after a night out.[yes we were the number one party school back then]Very Happy they are ok though,especially as a parent myself.

Last edited:
Hey Sardog...thanks for the image, great morning chuckle :-> I should learn to do that some day.

Course I'll always think the kids did a great job. Excellent example of how to do things right after making a mistake.
Let's see how does the expression go: Let he who walks on water cast the 1st stone.
or something like that.

Glad for the kids...and after all who doesn't like "happy endings"...?

(much more serious stuff with the avalanche over in Tuckermans)

Last edited:
A member of my party who insisted on going out ahead of the pace as a multi-day was winding down, was instructed to "Stay on the trail. Straight ahead. No turns. Straight shot to the road." He met a very-well-versed hiker (whom ironically I knew) who told him "Only decision: there will be a place you have a choice left or right, stay right."

Of course my guy did NOT go straight but TURNED right and a minor search ensued the next morning finding him finally straightened out and heading for the road. He had combined my correct (but incomplete) guidance with the correct (but not complete) information from the second expert and made the wrong choice. My fault, yes, His fault, yes. Second advisor's fault, yes, a little.

Had a fine been imposed on him, I think the fact he was responding to expert but not complete guidance as best he could MIGHT have mitigated the fine.
A classic case of not sticking together leading to trouble. He should have been fined just for that!

Article was very scary IMHO.Article went to great lengths to claim how they knew what to do when things got bad.Seems like they are all very good at demonstrating how to do things the wrong way.What about backtracking?
I too was struck by the consistency of their sequence of mistakes/poor judgements. We all make mistakes or get confused now and then, but we generally recognize and correct them rather than compound them.

Seems like they owe about 50 to 60 grand now?Right?Randomness of how fish and game levies their fines is deplorable!!
I believe F&G levies their fines based upon their own costs. This one was probably pretty cheap--they sent a four-person volunteer rescue team out to a (phone?) GPS location.*

* (From http://www.tuftsdaily.com/student-hikers-rescued-in-new-hampshire-mountains-1.2804186#.UPmApSBINYh )

Doug

A classic case of not sticking together leading to trouble. He should have been fined just for that!

I agree with this. I also find it interesting that it seems as if this group had blatant disregard for trail signs and their Maps. I will admit to fortunately possessing an excellent sense of direction but also study maps of where I am going before a hike. To make a turn almost 90 degrees away from where I came would/ should become very evident rather quickly let alone in the distance that these folks traveled. I am glad they are OK and hopefully learned some lessons.

Hey Sardog...thanks for the image, great morning chuckle :-> I should learn to do that some day.

Course I'll always think the kids did a great job. Excellent example of how to do things right after making a mistake.
Let's see how does the expression go: Let he who walks on water cast the 1st stone.
or something like that.

Glad for the kids...and after all who doesn't like "happy endings"...?

(much more serious stuff with the avalanche over in Tuckermans)

Totally agree that they made a happy ending happen, but at what cost? I'm wondering if they hadn't been college students from an esteemed college if people would be feeling so generous. Young people, older people make mistakes. They should have been better prepared. I'm glad they are (finally) safe, I hope more people have safer trips, and one way of not encouraging mistakes is to make sure more people know how things go wrong and what it costs, either financially or otherwise.

I would say they did everything right after they realized they made their mistake. Stuck together, made a fire, stayed put etc. no heroics.

If I (or perhaps others if their memories were to come back to them) got fined and bad mouthed for every mistake I've made I would probably be broke and deaf by now.

I didn't attain perfection until much later in life...:)

I think one main lesson they will learn from their experience is how fast other hikers will pounce upon their imperfections while not seeing the same in themselves.

We certainly appear a less than friendly group...we could all just gather and kick them while they're down.

Who would want to hike with us, they are learning while we apparently already know everything...just ask us.

... remember no smiling or wishing them well on future excursions of which I hope they have many...

Last edited:
Not that it matters at all (and maybe I missed it) but did they end up going down Dry River Cut-off or Clinton Trail? That's one big crossing at the bottom of Clinton...........
Glad they are all safe and sound!

I think one main lesson they will learn from their experience is how fast other hikers will pounce upon their imperfections while not seeing the same in themselves.

We certainly appear a less than friendly group...we could all just gather and kick them while they're down.

Who would want to hike with us, they are learning while we apparently already know everything...just ask us.

... remember no smiling or wishing them well on future excursions of which I hope they have many...

I don't think hikers are pouncing on them so much as discussing. Readers of the UL pounce! Of course we've all made mistakes. And we're all glad when we're not mentioned in the UL or any other form of media. I think what most here are discussing is "what did they do and why" kinds of statements and question.