8 Crazies and Mo (Not) from Colorado Climb Isolation, 1/3/2008

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LRiz

Reaction score
I just realized that I misspelled the date in the title... it should be 2009. I'm not sure how to fix it, though. This "New Year" thing is too confusing :p!

80+ MPH winds. Extreme wind chill advisory in the Mt. Washington Observatory forecast... and I was climbing Isolation!

Eight Crazy Participants: Cath, Eric, Drew, Karen, Mary Ellen, Rachel, Steve, and I
The (Non) Coloradian: Mo
Date: January 3rd, 2008

The winds were roaring as Cath, Drew, and I pulled into the Rocky Branch trailhead, where the rest of our group were waiting patiently for us. It was bitterly cold outside, and I found it necessary to put on my hard shell and mittens on immediately. Nevertheless, I was in good spirits, feeling very energetic (after two Red Bulls + copious amounts of coffee :D) and eager to start the hike. Approaching the the trail, we were pleased to see that it was broken out. However, just as we were about to set off, another vehicle pulled into the parking lot. Colorado plates... and more than a little sketchy, to say the least (especially given the many break-ins that have occured at this specific trailhead). Ah well - We were set on bagging the peak, and not about to let this car get in our way! After trying to memorize the plate number (in case of an incident), we headed off up the trail.

Almost instantaneously, the mountain started kicking my butt... which was inexcusable considering that I'd had a full day off from my nine-day hiking extravaganza. What was a well-packed, lovely trail quickly turned into a drifted (though aesthetically lovely) piece of work. Rachel was remarkably strong and quickly took the lead, barely breaking the sweat as she carved a path through the snow. As exhausted as I was, I made every effort I could to maintain a steady pace behind her... and once we reached the height of land I was more than ready to take a break. After downing a Clif shot, a Luna bar, and a half-nalgene of G2, I felt a little stronger. The flattish terrain certainly helped as well, and I made my way towards the front of the group to assist with trail breaking. The fact that we were hiking on such a pretty trail made things all the more easier:

We continued on our way, heading downhill for a short stretch, until we finally entered the wilderness... where the trails are rough, primitive, and "may be difficult to follow" (per the trail sign), but nothing we couldn't handle ;):

At this point I became particularly excited, knowing that we'd soon be starting our bushwhack! I'd never used a compass before. Setting our bearing to 330 degrees, we were soon on our way. Drew took the lead at first, but then allowed me to practice charting a route with the compass. It was a little tough initially, but Drew, Cath, and Eric were kind enough to instruct me, and I believe I became better at it with time (excluding the fact that the compass was constantly blown from my mitten by the strong winds!). The bushwhack brought us through a beautiful stretch of birch glades, scattered with many lines of moose tracks. Fortunately, we were able to float on top of the snow for the most part, which made things considerably easier for all of us... and upon reaching the Isolation trail junction, I was simply ecstatic. Amazingly, I'd managed not to get us all completely lost.

Drew created a stick structure in the snow to mark the beginning of our bushwhack (in case the trail drifted in during our ascent). After stopping for a snack break, we continued up the trail, at which point we were passed by a hiker named Mo, who thanked us for breaking out a short cut for him to follow. The snow was much deeper on this stretch of trail... and I managed to fall into my first spruce trap :). What fun. Ah well, at least we were able to rock all three of the remaining water crossings:

More snacks.

More tiresome trail breaking.

And... another bushwhack! Rachel had been breaking trail extensively by that time, so I took the lead once again and headed up in the direction that Drew pointed out to me. Although I was tired, I was determined not to show it and plodded along at a slow (yet hopefully constant) pace until we reached the Davis Path junction. Cath informed us that we were less than a mile away from the summit. Even though the winds were blowing angrily down upon us, the fact that we were so close to our destination was enough to keep me upbeat and moving.

The Davis Path itself had multiple blowdowns to contend with, including a particularly thick set of downed trees that must have taken me about 2-3 minutes to (ungracefully) push through. We continued on our way, fighting the winds with every step, until we reached the Isolation Spur trail. Dropping our packs, we put on our face protection and prepared for what was going to be one heck of a crazy summit push!

Rachel and Steve ascended first, followed by Eric, Karen, and Drew. Reaching the exposed ledges, I was blown right to the ground almost instantly. Shuffling on my knees and grasping branches on occasion, I crawled towards the summit cairn. Bracing myself against the rocks, I let out my customary summit shout of joy and then attempted to snap a few mediocre pictures (very difficult, I assure you, when the winds are blowing at 80+ MPH!):

Whilst I was sitting by the cairn, the rest of the group made the summit, took a few photos, and then headed down. For some reason unbeknownst to me, I decided to stay up top for a little while longer. After an additional 5 minutes of being battered about by the winds, I once again crawled my way over the ledges and butt-slided down to the Davis Path. Mary Ellen gave me a peanut butter ball... and, although cold, I was very much content.

The trip out was smooth and enjoyable. I was worried that our fantastic, packed-out trail would be entirely blown in by the winds, but the majority of it remained (amazingly) intact:

Steve and Rachel were speed demons, running down the trail so rapidly that they needed to stop and wait for the rest of us every few minutes or so. We adapted the "red light, green light" game to make our descent more exciting. It's amazing how simple things like that can completely make my day.

Heading down engine hill, the sky erupted into brilliant shades of pink and orange. Time seemed to fly by (at least for me), and we reached the trailhead in no time... and found the following lovely note on Mary Ellen's car:

As it turns out, MO was the guy with the Colorado plates! Now how random is that?!

To our dear friend (not) from Colorado - You were a super guy, and I'm glad that we were able to help you out.

What a wonderful day to be out in the mountains. Thank you to all for making the trip a blast... and CONGRATULATIONS to Steph's Isolation group for a successful summit today!

Last edited:
Whoo Hoo! You go girl!

And, you are going with some of the finest group of hikers you could ever hope to hike with!

;)

Great TR! Thanks for breaking the trail for us yesterday!! We had a much easier day, most of the trail was still tracked down, a few drifts...

Love your pics, I'll have some sweet ones when Steph posts her TR!

Fun hanging New Year's Eve, looking forward to hiking sometime with you!! :D

Keep on chugging!! ;)

Awesome trip report Larisa and beautiful pics! Sounds like a great day in the snow....:) It was nice to meet you this past weekend. Congrats to you and Unfrozen on your peakbagging adventures - looking forward to more reports....

Last edited:
"It's the adrenaline isn't it?"

That was a question I was asked when talking about this hike to some "non hikers" yesterday.

"It might have something to do with it." I responded.:D

That was AWESOME!!!

A total blast being in those conditions. You might hear from others that I ran over to the top of the ledge where you first break out and jumped back (over some of the the remaining ascending hikers) down into the trees. My heart was absolutely pounding from the excitement. Only one other time had I been in winds close to that strong and it was on Washington during a winter Presi traverse that I did 3 years ago. This was even crazier though, the sustained wind was insane, the gusts were, well, enough to take you off your feet!! You literally had to focus on a destination, lean into the wind, get a head of steam and then readjust your course constantly as the wind pushed you wherever it wanted to.

Rachel, the VERY strong woman that I took hiking with me that day, weighs all of 110 pounds probably, and without a pack was getting tossed into the bushes repeatedly - I, weighing in around 190 and still wearing around 30 pounds of gear on my back was having a hard enough time myself. So after tagging the pin I let the winds do their thing (she was pinned in some bushes!) and push me over to her, reached out and grabbed her hand and we both made our way back over to the pin. At this point, my face had gotten pretty cold and I have been having a hard time keeping color in my nose lately so I bolted for cover. One thing Larisa doesn't mention - it was -5F on the summit that day to boot, not exactly warm conditions, I looked up the windchill which calculates to -44F :eek:

You might call it crazy to go out in these conditions but as Waylon Jennings put it, "I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane."

Last edited:
Nice hike everyone! Although I really did wonder on several occaisons if I was crazy to be out on a day like this. The combination of wind and wicked cold temps made me really think hard why I would venture out on a day such as this. The wind on the summit was incredible and as much as I enjoyed the thrill of experiencing such wind I don't know if I'll need to do that again anytime soon. Seriously all I could think was what if a big gust came and tossed me into the scrub....would I loose an eyeball or get speared in half by a limb?? Fun but not fun at the same time. Hope to hike with all you crazies again sometime soon.

-MEB

Well, just another fun New England winter day in the hills, huh?:D Sounds like you all had a wonderful time. Very nice TR, too, Larisa. Can't believe you decided to take photos on the summit in that breeze.

See, Steve, there are occasional benefits from carrying a little weight!

Nice TR and great shots of the summit!
Thanks for the helpful hand Caveman and Rachel, for the outreaching pole...and Cath your watchful eye while I attempted to make the summit "touch".
Another memorable day in the mountains ;)
kmac

This hike was organized for Karen :) She has (had) a short list of 5 peaks remaining on her NH Winter 4's. Now there are 4, as they say :cool:

This particular summit "exposure" goes in the most memorable category for certain :eek: I was in awe of those that were able to multi-task in those conditions (aka take pictures).

I can still see UFC heading back down the spur chute, looking as if he was being shot out of a cannon......... you couldn't hear what was going on up above, other than the wind screaming, and then all of a sudden, with the velocity of a good old fashioned crack-the-whip game, he was flying towards / over us!

Karen, my pleasure on hangin back with you for your turn. Everyone can use a butt boost every now & then ;) I also was concerned about our youngest member who was still up there, but then I realized, she wasn't pinned down by the wind, she was just taking more pictures, too funny.

I'll brave sub-zero temps and high winds for MEB's peanutbutter balls any day.

Great job and congrats to all :cool:

I keep writing the same things, but they're the most appropriate words I can think of: inspirational, awesome, fantastic, a real pleasure to read. :D Congrats!!!