A day on the AT with M&M aka hikethe115

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay H

Reaction score
I had the privilege to spend a couple miles in a long journey of a fellow VfTT today on the AT in NJ, we did a few miles between Deckertown road and High Point monument in High Point State Park in NJ, I met Matt and Nancy at the Deckertown parking lot and we basically followed the ridge above Lake Rutherford to the short R/G connector trail to the monument itself which was open.. all 191 steps and 220ft of elevation.

Not sure if everyday is like this but it is obvious she is having a blast as we would run into some of her cohorts and fellow trekkers that day and then over at the Wawayanda Hilton! What a fun group of down-to-earth folks, those that I remember their trailname more than others but after high point, we drove to pick up a friend at Liberty Corners Rd and then into Warwick (Hi Aaron!) to stop at a deli and then on to Wawayanda where we hiked the 1/3 mile to the leanto for a mini-party and celebration of a person's finish. Met even more thruhikers and celebrated the occasion. Rain started to come down but could not dampen the joy and commeraderie that was obvious when you spend 1300+ miles somewhat "together" if only at the end of the day.

So, it was a great day and a small iota of time on a journey, but it was a fun day and a glimpse at the life of the AT... Hike on guys and gals!

Jay

That's awesome!!!

I was hiking on the AT after work one night this week, to Little Rock Pond in VT; and I scribbled a note in the logbook at the shelter for Hikethe115 -- I hope she sees it!

:D

Yeah, yesterday was fun. It was great to hike with three friends I hadn't hiked with in a while, and also to meet Dawn's crazy new friends. Definitely an interesting experience hanging out with thru-hikers. I got a sense of how they really have to conserve energy and not "waste" extra walking, etc. Also a sense of the freedom, relaxation, and camaraderie they share with one another. Oh, and they smell, but they're so cool, you don't care. :eek: :D

It was also my first time hiking in Jersey. It was pretty nice, and I'd like to go back again. It's really only about as far as most Catskill trailheads for me, so the trails in Jersey might make a nice alternative once in a while.

Matt

Good to hike with you again Matt and JayH. Matt - thanks again for running back to the lean-to in the pouring rain to get the key!

I have been hiking with Dawn for about 60 miles from Wind Gap, PA to Highpoint, NJ. I drove her car to pick her up so she could attend the Dylan concert on the weekend. We returned to the trail with 2 cars and did alot of car shuttling, some slack packing, and had a blast.

PA lived up to its reputation with the rocks. Luckily I only had 2 days of the sharp, uneven, yet pretty flat terrain. The rocks wear your feet out. They don't really end at the NJ border either.

NJ completely surprised me. I live pretty close to it, and have driven thru it more times than I would like to have. The AT goes along a ridgeline which borders the Delaware Water Gap National Scenic Area. The views are beautiful. Looking around 360 degrees, there is hardly any evidence of development.

Here are some picts and videos.

Dawn is indeed having the time of her life. Best of luck to her on this amazing journey.

nice - I never really cared about hiking ther AT - but I have recently developed interest in maybe doing it - someday - it just looks like pure fun.

does anyone know what her ETA is mass/NH is? I only met dawn once - we have many mutual freinds it seems , I was thinking of maybe trying to hike a bit of it with her just to say hi and maybe bring some goodies along. I imagine others are thinking the same?

Last edited:
No problem Nancy. I owed you one from that time I got to crash at Rivermead after staggering out of the woods in the Daks last summer. Plus I like running in the rain.

Giggy, you can always check in here:

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=190988

It's usually a few days behind, but you can at least estimate stuff from there. She should be in Mass by the end of July I imagine. Now that she's in the Northeast, there will be likely be other VFTTers hiking w/ her in various places, so you'll likely see more reports like this one.

Matt

For hose wishing to see a day-by-day photo journal, one can be found here :

I have posted all images from day one through May 19. I hope to get more images as soon as they find there way to me off M&M's camera.

Also, there is a day-by-day listing that has links to each trail journal and information on each stage when available, This information can be found on the monthly listing here: March , April , May .

I hiked with our own VFTT Dawn (M&M) from the famous Vernon boardwalk to NJ 94 and then drove her down to the Church hostel in Vernon this afternoon (Friday, July 6). She is doing very well and in great spirits. Excited about the trail that lay ahead and seeing all her friends now that she is "local". If anyone wants to hook up with her a general plan is to hike tomorrow, Saturday from NJ 94 to Wildcat Shelter (north of NY 17A) (17 miles). Sunday, Wildcat Shelter to Fingerboard Shelter (15 Miles). Then monday from Fingerboard to Greymoor Monastery (???). My guess is Tuesday she will be in Fahnestock and Wednesday up to and maybe beyond INT 84. I am meeting her at 7 AM Monday at the Arden Valley Road xing of the AT. After that I know she is taking a zero day on Thursday. So hopefully over the next week you all can welcome her home and visit her on the trail in our own New York AT backyard.

Hi everyone! Aaron told me about this thread when he came to pick me up this morning so I decided to check it out before heading back to the trail. I am indeed having a blast!! It is hard to say where I'll be because things change all the time. Aaron is right that I will be hiking to Wildcat Shelter today, Fingerboard tomorrow and then I'm not sure on Monday. I will be taking Tuesday off to spend with my son (instead of Thursday). After that, who knows. That's the beauty of being on the trail...freedom! It is great to have friends meet me on the trail. Thanks to Terri, Ed, Nancy, Matt, Jay, and Aaron for meeting me and helping me. I hope I get to see lots of you as I head North!

A special thanks to Ed for the work he has done on the site. You should have received pictures from Tamas. I have another full card that I will get to him on Monday so you will have more.

Good luck Dawn!

I hope you have a great and safe trip along the rest of the trail! I hope to hike with you again soon!

Just an update. I helped shuttle Dawn this morning, Mon. 6/9 7 AM, from Bear Mountain back to Lake Tiorati in Hariman Park. She is doing fine. Today, she is hiking to Bear Mountain. Tomorrow (Tue. 7/10) Off day. Wed. 7/11 - Bear Mountain to Fahnestock (slackpacking). Thurs. 7/12 Fahnestock to somewhere north of INT 84.

Ack, if I was shuttled today to Lake Tiorati, I'd stay there and swim all day. it is a HOT one out there today and lets hope they all stay hydrated!

Jay

Nice thread. I've been trying to stay current with following Dawn's journal. Great to have info about her current plans. I was hoping to catch up with her in PA or NJ... not to happen, but maybe soon in NY/MA??

I'm told that Dawn is taking a day off to meet with her son, but still, with this pace, she's probably soon to be out of NY and into CT/MA... :)

Jay

Tomorrow CT

Just hiked with Dawn this morning (Thurs 7/12) from Shenandoah Mountain 9 AM to RPH Cabin Shelter(10:30 AM). This was my last hike with Dawn as she works her way north. She is putting in some slackpacking 20 mile days as she is local. Today her goal is Poughquag and NY 55. Tomorrow (Fri. 7/13), hopefully CT or close to it!

askus3 said:
. Today her goal is Poughquag and NY 55. Tomorrow (Fri. 7/13), hopefully CT or close to it!

She's trail hardened now, she'll make it! I used to hike NY 55 to CT border as a dayhike frequently, when I lived next to that section of the AT.

So where is Dawn now??