A great day on Jackson, and then...........

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkierSteve

Reaction score
It can happen in an instant, and it did. We, (myself and two of my usual hiking buddies), had just finished a fun climb to the top of Mt. Jackson on a great day. Ice everywhere but no problem ascending. We dropped down over the cone and headed for Webster, anticipating an enjoyable ridge walk.
On one of the steep little pitches just beyond the summit, my feet came out from under me and I was off to the races. I came to a sudden stop, hitting a cut off tree stump with my lower rib cage and I knew I was in trouble.
I've had a fair amount of First Aid training. So after the initial pain passed, I tried to take inventory and think. I knew immediately that I had fractured ribs but my major concern was that the impact had gotten under my ribs and gotten into my spleen. I was at least three miles from the highway, most likely a three hour walk in my present condition. If I was bleeding internally, well I was pretty concerned about getting out.
The big question was; should we go back up and over the summit and deal with an icy descent, or take the ridge trail to Webster and down. The second option would be longer but an easier walk. I chose the Webster option and I think it was my second mistake.
Mistake #1: I had shiny new Microspikes which I just had to try on a day when full crampons were warranted. I was clearly under gunned.
As it turned out, it tour four hours to get out. The pain became tollerable, but every time I had to ascend and started to breath harder and expand my lungs, it basically dropped me to my knees. The good news was, after every minute passed, I was feeling more confident that my spleen had been spared and I would get out.
At the hospital emergency room, my diagnosis was confirmed, fractured ribs with no collapsed lung or internal bleeding. I dodged a major bullet.
Which brings me to my point. What would you do, did I do anything wrong or just plain dumb? How do you deal with what could have been a major injury with internal bleeding a long way from help? How quickly can a rescue hope to get to an injured hiker? Thanks for any response or wisedom.

SkierSteve said:
It can happen in an instant, and it did. We, (myself and two of my usual hiking buddies), had just finished a fun climb to the top of Mt. Jackson on a great day. Ice everywhere but no problem ascending. We dropped down over the cone and headed for Webster, anticipating an enjoyable ridge walk.
On one of the steep little pitches just beyond the summit, my feet came out from under me and I was off to the races. I came to a sudden stop, hitting a cut off tree stump with my lower rib cage and I knew I was in trouble.
I've had a fair amount of First Aid training. So after the initial pain passed, I tried to take inventory and think. I knew immediately that I had fractured ribs but my major concern was that the impact had gotten under my ribs and gotten into my spleen. I was at least three miles from the highway, most likely a three hour walk in my present condition. If I was bleeding internally, well I was pretty concerned about getting out.
The big question was; should we go back up and over the summit and deal with an icy descent, or take the ridge trail to Webster and down. The second option would be longer but an easier walk. I chose the Webster option and I think it was my second mistake.
Mistake #1: I had shiny new Microspikes which I just had to try on a day when full crampons were warranted. I was clearly under gunned.
As it turned out, it tour four hours to get out. The pain became tollerable, but every time I had to ascend and started to breath harder and expand my lungs, it basically dropped me to my knees. The good news was, after every minute passed, I was feeling more confident that my spleen had been spared and I would get out.
At the hospital emergency room, my diagnosis was confirmed, fractured ribs with no collapsed lung or internal bleeding. I dodged a major bullet.
Which brings me to my point. What would you do, did I do anything wrong or just plain dumb? How do you deal with what could have been a major injury with internal bleeding a long way from help? How quickly can a rescue hope to get to an injured hiker? Thanks for any response or wisedom.

First, be lucky that you posted this and instead it didn't end up in the paper. Then, you'd really feel like a schmuck.

Not seeing the conditions first hand, and not feeling your pain, I would've made my escape route decisions in this order, probably:

1) Previous trail traffic to ensure it's been broken out
2) Knowledge of the trail
3) Ease of trail
4) How close you get to intersecting trails
5) Popularity of the trail (chance of seeing someone who could assist).

I can't say I would've done anything different ('cept for the crampons). Glad you are OK.

I'm glad you are ok!

With all the new 'grippy footwear' products on the market now, I hope people read this and see it as an assertion that Crampons are not old school, and are still very much required winter gear.

I’m glad you survived. When everyone and their brother/sister were buying the microspikes, I purposely declined because I didn’t want to be in a position where I chose the wrong ones to bring on a given hike. Your accident just reinforced my decision, thanks.

Last edited:
I'm glad you're okay!

Anyone can win that lottery, whether personal judgment plays a role or not, so I'll take that deep breath for you on dodging a big one!

The only other thought I had about what you could do differently is to (more obviously) include a discussion of whether you should be moved at all. It's a judgment call in any case, but it should be one of the choices considered. I probably wouldn't have chosen it, but if it were a spinal injury or a major bleed, it would be high on the list.

Again, it seems you lucked out in a big and painful way! Auguri (as the Sicilians would say)!

Yes, I'm glad you're okay too, although I know how painful fractured ribs can be.

Do you ever do hikes like this alone? Would you have been able to make it out as easily if you were alone?

Sounds like you made a reasonable response.

Many people fixate on calling in a rescue. Responses for a rescue are often the next day--were you prepared to spend the night? Self-rescue, if possible, is often a better solution.

Doug

Hi there...Glad to read you came out in one piece...though with several broken components.
Looks like you did the best you could under the circumstances. Not to be overly crass, but sometimes your screwed and it becomes a case of how to make the best of a bad situation.

I have a tendency to retrace my route back the way I came when things go badly rather than continue forward. Kind of a case of better to know the pitfalls you've been through rather than the ones you've yet to see.

but it's pretty subjective with umpteen variables.

I think you did good . To my way of thinking the worst thing would be to try one way then change your mind and go the other way...then 2nd guess yourself change direction again etc...
Good luck on the recovery !!

SkierSteve said:
How quickly can a rescue hope to get to an injured hiker?

Glad to hear you're OK.

Lots of variables factor into rescue time. But, in the daylight for a mountain like Webster or Jackson, provided you can cell-phone it in and F&G decides that you warrant rescue immediately, which you generally do in winter, you might get a couple of F&G up there within a few hours to assess and stabilize, keep you warm, hydrated, etc. (You won't get 'coptered out of anywhere in the trees for a possible fractured rib.) They might try to walk you out by themselves. If not, the cavalry won't arrive for several more hours, usually. To carry you out, there would probably be 2 to 3 teams of 6 assembled, some 12-18 people, many of whom are volunteers. On Monday, they'll be at work and may or may not be able to leave immediately--or at all. So plan on 3-4 hours before the teams come up for you. Could be less, could be more, all depends on who is available, how far in you are, your injury, conditions, time of day, etc. Coming down in a litter would be painful on the rib; good that could walk out.

Last edited:
Phew !

Wow, SkierSteve, I know that section and I was relieved to read that you weren't seriously injured! As bad as you were, it could have been much worse. Good for you for being open to advice. I can't really say I have any to offer, not being in your shoes. It sounds to me as though you've already answered your own question.
My only pearl of wisdom is to listen to your gut. I recall this sunday on Cannon in similar conditions, MichaelJ and I started out in Microspikes. MJ said at one point he would feel more comfortable if he took his axe out. We agreed right then that the crampons were going on. Sometimes just soundboarding off your hiking partner helps the obvious become clear.
Hope you heal fast and can get out and enjoy more winter hiking soon.
:)

Last edited:
Glad you made it out. Very scarey situation. 1st of all, don't feel bad, it could happen to anyone. I would probably have done the same thing you did... Stu

Hi Steve,
Thanks for sharing your experience. I think I know just the section you slid on and am glad you got away with "only" a few broken ribs. Kevin and I hope you are healing quickly!
-vegematic

Glad you got out reasonably OK - it also reminds me of snow shoe issues we had on East Osceola a couple of years ago - MSRs were great up to a point - then even with their crampon and agressive sides it was not enough to hold you on the steep sections - crampons were needed. I have found myself in similar situations with Stabilicers - a great tool, but not right for all situations.
Again - glad you are only dealing with the ribs - that is enough! Get well! :)

SkierSteve said:
If I was bleeding internally, well I was pretty concerned about getting out.
Obviously the F&G system doesn't work for serious injuries such as acute abdomen when you need the chopper ASAP not 4 hours later
The big question was; should we go back up and over the summit and deal with an icy descent, or take the ridge trail to Webster and down. The second option would be longer but an easier walk.
What I would have done is have my companions scout out the bushwhack around the base of the cone back to Jackson Trail which is a couple hundred yards at most (and I have done it in winter). If it looked OK, that is a shorter route down than Webster Trail and in my experience hoping the other trail is easier only works about 50% of the time :)

RoySwkr said:
What I would have done is have my companions scout out the bushwhack around the base of the cone back to Jackson Trail which is a couple hundred yards at most (and I have done it in winter). If it looked OK, that is a shorter route down than Webster Trail and in my experience hoping the other trail is easier only works about 50% of the time :)
That was my first thought when I read the initial post...I haven't hiked the ridge between Jackson and Webster, but in my opinion descending from Webster via the Webster-Jackson Trail is a bit more difficult because it has that drop down into the brook and then the steep climb back up to the trail junction...I bet that was very unwelcome with your situation!

Good job

Thanks for sharing this experience, and congrats on the self-rescue. That was certainly the right thing to do, as opposed to waiting for help.

You didn't mention details such as whether anyone checked you for other injuries and examined your chest, checked your vitals etc. before you moved out, or whether your companions off-loaded the weight from you pack, or even took your pack entirely, if that would make you more comfortable. As to whether to turn around or proceed from that point, I'm not sure if the Webster Cliff trail was packed out at that point, but as discussed both trails offer challenging sections for someone with broken ribs. IMO, the bushwhack might impose more variables than I'd want to deal with, given that I'd already have an injury issue. I'd only attempt it if I knew it cold.

The big take away lesson for us is that Stabilicers, micro-spikes, etc. are great knee and energy saving tools to have along, but this incident illustrates the need to carry crampons in winter (for descent, if not ascent), and to put them on when warranted, even for a short section if the consequences of a fall might be significant. I'm not sure whether you had them, but that's a general lesson I take from this incident.

Glad to hear you made it out okay, and hope you have a speedy recovery, and again, thanks for sharing. Both the self rescue and the sharing demonstrate courage.
Ed

Many thanks to all for posting and your kind words. I can't wait to get back out there, winter is gone so quickly.

An interesting aside; my Doc has told me to stay as active as I can stand. Apparently the greatese potential problem with this kind of injury is not fully expanding your lungs and developing secondary pneumonia. No one needs that, so I'll push myself a little and see what happens.

Thanks again!!
Steve

SkierSteve said:
An interesting aside; my Doc has told me to stay as active as I can stand. Apparently the greatese potential problem with this kind of injury is not fully expanding your lungs and developing secondary pneumonia. No one needs that, so I'll push myself a little and see what happens.
When I broke a rib it was just avoid laughing and coughing for a couple of weeks. Also couldn't sleep on the bad side. That was about it. Walking and sitting was ok. Healed up in 6-8 weeks.

Doug

I was hiking that trail in reverse many years ago and a woman hiking towards me on a steep section took a header. She landed face first in the mud, her pack pushing her head even further, about 1.5" from a puncheon bridge. I was sure her whole face was stove-in, but she was fine. A little muddy, but fine.

Things can change in a second. Your margin for error in winter is much slimmer then in summer so there's lots of possible safety gear you can bring along. It sounds like you brought the most important piece of gear - your brain and the sense to use it.

I've broken ribs a few times, and they take forever to heal. Avoiding pneumonia is important, but I was pretty limited to activities at fairly slow walking speed.

Oh, and glad to hear you're OK. Well done on the self-rescue. Mohamed? Are you gonna write this one up?