A Lap Around Mount Rainier

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Seaver

Reaction score
On September 12, I made a self-supported attempt to break the current record for running Mount Rainier's stunning 93 mile Wonderland Trail. I didn't quite pull it off, finishing in 24 hours and 48 minutes, but had a fantastic time trying to break John Stamstad's time of 24 hours and one minute.

Full story and pics to come...

ApproachingGoldenLakes.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! Awesome job. Can't wait for the TR and pix. Did you carry the DSLR? If so then the rules allow a standard 48 minute deduction, so you are the fastest! Congrats.

- darren

Wow!!! Congrats on completing it with a very impressive time. Awesome job. I bet you'll have some cool memories. Looking forward to the full report and pictures.

Amazing Tim! As Sherpa K said, the Wonderland Trail has been on my to-do list for ages as well... though never in a million years would I be able to finish it in a day!

Great job and I can't wait to see the rest of the pictures!

- Ivy

damn impressive - I want to say - 30K of ele? Is that right. Wow - thats a run! oh yea - and there are some pretty nice sights there too!

Tim- I think parts of that trail get pretty high up there - just wondering if you had to cross snowfeilds, etc.. I heard they had some high snowfall this past year - wondering of some was left on the lower hills of the mtn?

great job Tim.

Nice Job! That must've been a lot of fun. I bet the views are pretty outstanding!

Did you climb Rainier the next day?? :p

-Dr. Wu

Homeward Bound

Thanks to all for the nice comments :)

I am still zipping across the plains in front of an early snowstorm, taking advantage of a hefty tailwind raking across South Dakota. Now comes the dreaded "Midwestern Gauntlet" across I-90. The Dan Ryan Expressway. Gary, Indiana. Bloodthirsty Indiana state troopers. Oh the fun! :eek:

Can hardly wait to get back!

Is that the same Stamstad that use to race in the iditabike in the 90's solo? If so, he is one heck of an endurance athlete. I think he used to do the leadville 100 every year also. At least the bike one, not sure if he did the foot race.

Yes, hillman - John switched gears into trail running after being inducted into the Mountain Bike Hall of Fame, after rescuing a dog with a psychotic appetite for running. There are some great articles and interviews at the bottom of the Wikipedia page I linked to in the lead post. One of his recent projects was pushing a modified baby stroller with 50 pounds of water across the White Rim Trail - 100 miles of desert, unsupported, solo, in 26 hours :eek: . He has long been one of the endurance athletes I respect the most.

That is incredible. I haven't heard about him in a very long time, amazing that you are out there trying to bust his records. You guys are a breed apart. I have to settle for my hiking, but I love reading that stuff, running around that mountain is crazy. Are you the guy that did the NPT run this year? I can't remember. And if so--did you break that record?

Awesome!

What an amazing thing to do. Nice picture, can't wait to see more.

It might be faster to climb to the summit and simply do a small loop around the summit point. Seeing that the record is just over 24 hours, and I know some people can dayhike to the summit, you can climb to the summit and then do a simple loop... :) Just kidding... sounds like a fun trip for those inclined to do so.

Jay

About a month ago, we had a day to kill in the seattle area before a late evening flight home. So WE DROVE the perimeter road from the SW gate out past the NE one (near sunrise).

I remember thinking the whole ride around it... "Damn, this is one big-a$$ mountian, I wonder how long it would take to circle around it on foot" :D

I guess I now know the answer. Of course, if I were to do it, I might be a tad of your pace :rolleyes: (just a touch perhaps).

Mighty darn impressive Tim