A memorial to VFTT Gatherings

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was at the 1st gathering and it was a lot of fun. Scarey for me, in a way, to travel so far to meet people I didn't know, but well worth it. Why haven't I been back for more? My horizons are extended now and my dance book is pretty full.

Leather Apron-The History

At the Gathering 6.0 in Cathedral Pines, a bunch of us, about 10 as I remember, went for dinner Friday night to the White Wolf in Stratton. We arrived to a nearly empty dining room and found a large table. Then we waited for the waitress to take our drink orders. She, cutely adorned with a fashionable leather apron around her waist, had finished serving the other party in the dining room then proceded to attend to other critically important restaurant-management tasks like filling the salt shakers and counting the soup spoons. And we waited. Having finished her labors, and ignoring our increasingly strident body-language indicating a severe need for hydration, even water, we were ignored further while she checked the latest ball scores and counted her day's tips. And we waited. What is the longest you've ever waited to be served in a restaurant? Try an hour and half that night, before she even took our drink orders. Needless to say, when we all left, she didn't have to count her tips again. She was probably too busy rolling napkins and putting those annoying little paper tapey things around them anyway

Thus was born the short-lived tradition of the leather apron. It was awarded to the person who had traveled the longest to get to a Gathering. I don't remember who got it the next year in the Catskills. The following year in VT some question arose as to who should wear the apron, the person traveling the farthest or the one farthest from home. I think it went to Bubba that year who was farthest from home, but another, who had traveled even further, felt denied her just claim to the well-deserved honor. Thus a second apron was bestowed post-Gathering to satisfy her disappointment and perhaps a bit of sub-conscious leather envy.

I kind of like traditions and symbolism. But unfortunately the tradition of the passing of the symbolic leather apron has largely died, a sign of the changing times. Besides, Bubba always gets it anyway. Sigh.

To answer Bigmoose's question on the aprons' whereaboutses, you'll have to ask Bubba and LittleBear.

teejay

Last edited:
We had dinner at the White Wolf Sunday after our Saddleback->Sugarloaf backpack. The service hasn't improved much even if the food was just dandy.

I have always preferred the Looney Moose, anyway, just a bit east of the White Wolf... :)\

Tuco, Yes I remember the Charity hikes, in fact, I think that is where I met you, at the Devil's Tombstone.. but not sure if I think of them as gatherings per se, though they somewhat were...

Jay

I’ll go to my grave knowing my life is better because of this place and all the Gatherings I attend.
Bubba, know that my life has been made better by all the gatherings you have attended. Even the ones we attended separately, as a result of the newly discovered "VFTT gathering transference osmotic principle".

It was Buddha who once said, "Party like a Caveman. Gather like a mossy stone."

Last edited:
I had heard the story, but I had forgotten the location. Too bad, the times we were there, the service was fine. There is at least one other person who has worn the apron, and not much else!

If this link fails for anybody, and you're just dying to know who it is, try this link:
http://www.vftt.org/forums/member.php?u=1107

(it just adds www to the beginning, but that makes all the difference when it comes to web browser cookies)

Geek moment aside, who has the all-time distance record? My guess is LindaLu coming all the way from Washington state?

When I first stumbled onto the forums I went to several gatherings. I went to meet folks so I would not have to hike alone any more. Spencers spinoff ADK summer gathering was my first. I've attended 4 or 5 of these gatherings. I was also at the Barnes Field winter gathering (still have my SherpaK sticker) where the weather ranged from warm, 50's and rain to snow and very cold. It took me over 10 hours to drive to Barnes and I was tired and hungry. I remember gasps of horror when I declined cheese on the burger Shizzy cooked for me. I was also at the monsoon in the catskills. I think my gear is still covered with mud from that event. I found that after a few gatherings, I made friends with a core of people to hike with so gatherings became less important. Still, its nice to go and re connect with poeple you have not seen for awhile and meet new hiking partners. Most gatherings are too far of a drive for me. I come from southern jersey at its 7-8 hours to the ADKS and usually 9+ hours to the Whites or Maine.

I recently ate at the White Wolf. Food was good and so was the beer on tap selection. Service although not bad was a little slow. The wiatress however was manning the bar and waiting the tables. It was a saturday night and fairly busy. Slow food service allowed more time for drinking beer :)

If you remember attending a Gathering, you probably weren't there.

If you remember seeing me at a gathering then I guess neither of us were there.

How was breakfast?

Ahh! So many good memories - or no memories. One thing for sure, I MET THE BEST FRIENDS I'VE EVER MET IN MY WHOLE LIFE!:D

The was a similar discussion on Rocksontop recently regarding the lack of 'Open call' hikes (which I guess would go under 'Trip suggestions' on this site). I think many of the reasons that peakbagger listed up above also apply to the vanishing open calls. Another reason, I think, is that many people have met friends on either or both of these sites, and have formed little sub-groups where they have one or more people that they regularly hike with. I never did get around to one of the VFTT gatherings, which I regret. Maybe some day, if there's ever another one...

The was a similar discussion on Rocksontop recently regarding the lack of 'Open call' hikes (which I guess would go under 'Trip suggestions' on this site). I think many of the reasons that peakbagger listed up above also apply to the vanishing open calls. Another reason, I think, is that many people have met friends on either or both of these sites, and have formed little sub-groups where they have one or more people that they regularly hike with. I never did get around to one of the VFTT gatherings, which I regret. Maybe some day, if there's ever another one...
Interesting, open calls are more or less forbidden on ADKHPs. Perhaps different rules, different reasons, but some of the reasons are the same. And for a really long discussion, see this old thread.

To answer Bigmoose's question on the aprons' whereaboutses, you'll have to ask Bubba and LittleBear. teejay

Yeah... you're right, I usually got it because I always have to travel so damn far to get to these gatherings! BUT, believe that it was awarded in Eustis to someone from far away Florida and he may has in his possession.

The year prior... after an all out whinning gig - it went to some little girl who merely walked 2,000-miles on the AT (even though 'home' for me was longer).

PS - part of the original instructions with the leather apron award was that you were suppose to take it (with honor) on every one of your hikes the following year. Not that I always took it... but I did find that it made a fine snow seat on winter hikes!

Going Forward

I still have the Tee-shirt I won at #1. Some of Ridge Runners best screen printing for sure.

I wonder if he still has the Cermonial Pee Bottle?

As for Blue? -- I remember when she was Spencer's BEER WENCH!

cb