ADK kayak/canoe gathering July 16-18?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coldfeet

Reaction score
Been throwing around the idea on the paddle section....A few of us are interested in getting together and paddling around Rollins Pond. Possible idea is to reserve sites there through Reserve America.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/24494.html

We could paddle around there and then on Sunday drive somewhere else and launch the boats into other scenic areas. Another idea was to paddle to some lean to's and camp out, problem becomes the number of people and the sites. Many rules about # of participants on a paddle.

Please feel free to share some thoughts on this and if anyone knows how to set up a poll about car camping versus lean to's that would be appreciated. As of now there are a few sites that are together through Reserve America, they are not on the water just across the road. I know that this might not be to easy to figure out. Also if anyone knows a private area we can camp out on maybe that would be a good idea. I spoke to the DEC today and the only group sites were on Middle Saranac Lake but I don't want to deal with motor boats...thx CF

Hi David!

Good idea! I have camped many times close to Rollins at Fish Creek campground which can get a bit busy. One alternative is to use the wilderness sited that are situated on Fish Creek and the ponds further up. Last time I went they were free... first come first served but that could have changed. There are many good kayak/canoeing loops you can do without encountering any motorboats.

Hey Phil it would be great to see you.....the one thing that gets me worried about with those wilderness sites is that they are already filled up before you get there, then what does one do?....

I'm probably going to book a site by the end of the week so I can pencil it in and look forward to more fun in the DAKS...

You send phil in there first. I heard rumors that he SNORES.. really loud.

5 minutes later, we'll all just show up then. Problem Solved. :D

Jay

I reserved site 100 for Fri July 16 and Sat July 17....cost total $49...

2 cars per site
2 tents per site
total 6 people per site...

few people interested from adkhighpeaks

check out sites I believe 96 98 101

Paddle on saturday....pot luck dinner that night.....paddle on sunday somewhere else...just hanging out and exploring the beauty of the area..

Sounds great! I have the date set, and will hopefully be stopping in for as much time as possible. Thanks for organizing all of this!

nice....snickers and hummingbird just reserved sites....I don't know much about the area....will pick up maps and ask around...

Just dragged

the old girl out of the bushes and cleaned her up real good. She shines like when she was new. Can't wait to get her out on the water. She'll glide through the waves with all the grace of a garbage scow, thumping and clunking, the unmistakeable sounds of the best canoe ever built. Okay, you can argue that last point, but how many other boats still being made are on the water virtually unchanged in design in over 60 years? My 15' Grumman standard weight.

If anyone coming doesn't have a boat, I'll have an empty seat available. And a paddle you can use.

teejay

I would like to go to this! I'm going to twist Gail's arm to attend this, lol! :D

teejay,I can hear you coming!....whoo hoooo!

Freddy, that would be great......ps, Jethro Tull at Jones Beach in 2 weeks but I'll be away :(

Jethro Tull? Wow, Ian Anderson is still at it.... good for him! I saw them over 30 years ago at the Philadelphia Spectrum, amazing show!

Will be great to get out, hang out, and paddle with all of you! :)