AM radio reception in whites

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giggy

Reaction score
want to backpack next weekend but can't miss the bruins games when they make it to to the conf finals - where i can get radio reception in the whites?

Missing a game is not an option - won't backpack if thats the case

they broadcast on 1030am which is a very strong signal, but the techy types will know more than me on this and how the peaks impact it.

I never tried before.

any thoughts?

Reactions: arm
You will receive lots of airwaves from old people who humped "transistor" radios to hear AM broadcasts from all over the world. Yes, another "My dad..." story, complete with Russian-language broadcasts and Red Sox games (thinking el Tiante and a Dwight Evans catch, here).

You should have no trouble receiving AM transmissions up there; it just might be that there are many and from far away, crashing into your Ned Martin or Curt Gowdy.

Get well, soon, Rem-Dawg!

Oh. Sorry:

"And it's Giacomin and Sanderson in the corner, and they're going at it!" "Two seconds . . . one second . . . it's over! . . . The Bruins have won the Stanley Cup!!"

Yes, radio will have to be played this weekend.

I can get 1030 AM here in North Conway, usually at night though. I haven't tried it during the day as most of the games I listen to are on at night. I know the Tamworth/Sandwich area has better reception. Passaconaway or Whiteface maybe?

Go Bruins.

WBZ is a 50,000 watt, Class A blowtorch. I doubt you'd have trouble receiving it anywhere in the Whites.

(Hell, during the evenings in the summer, with good skip conditions, you could probably even get reception in the Rockies! ;))

Go Bruins!

want to backpack next weekend but can't miss the bruins games when they make it to to the conf finals - where i can get radio reception in the whites?

Missing a game is not an option - won't backpack if thats the case

they broadcast on 1030am which is a very strong signal, but the techy types will know more than me on this and how the peaks impact it.

I never tried before.

any thoughts?

spend some money and buy an iPhone, go to the Bruins website for updates.

;)

May I suggest the Carter Moriah Range. IIRC 1030 comes in fine from near Zeta Pass.

Funny you mention that area. I watched the sunset listening to Pat/Jets drinking cocktails a few years back. We caught both a solid AM and FM signal.

I should note that AM signals can be tricky. I couldn't catch a B's game a few years back, so I had to listen to Blackhawks/North Stars :)eek:) and wait for them to give scores of the other games......

AM tends to be much better in rolling terrain than FM since it works mostly on "ground wave" propagation (described as the radio waves oozing over the ground like molasses...somewhat inaccurate, but vivid.) You still probably want to avoid being right in the "shadow" of a mountain...so south-facing slopes or the north side of a valley would be better. Rough guess, go for Sandwich Range or the 13 Falls vicinity. Hard data on reception trumps this theory, YMMV.

I was on the Kinsmans at the lookout and a guy was listening to a sox game on am radio and a fellow with a Views tee shirt was giving grief to the guy about ruining his summit experience.Is this over reacting about nothing?:confused:

My father and I listened to two Red Sox '07 ALCS games on AM1030 while staying at the campsite high up at the Davis/Isolation Tr. junction. My Dad always brings the radio backpacking, we've also received it down low at a campsite along Black Brook in the Pemi among other places in the mountains.

While not in the Whites, I've also got a AM1030 signal while staying at Poplar Ridge on the Maine AT, which is more or less the middle of nowhere.

I think you should be alright, GO Bs!!!

thanks all

sounds like this will work if the boys make it tonight - go bruins!!!!

been a long time since the black and gold have been in the conference finals...

I was on the Kinsmans at the lookout and a guy was listening to a sox game on am radio and a fellow with a Views tee shirt was giving grief to the guy about ruining his summit experience.Is this over reacting about nothing?:confused:

That was me.

I can deal (under protest) with Orsillo's monotone play-by-play at a campsite, but at a summit? That's where I draw the line. I had to speak up and take a stand, protecting my right to solitude and silence in the mountains...especially the wild & woolly Kinsmans, which sit...what is it?...about 3 miles from I-93? Ahh, the wilderness.

This is a timely thread, as I'm currently working with the Sierra Club to develop technology which will keep radio waves out of National Forests.

Jason

AM tends to be much better in rolling terrain than FM since it works mostly on "ground wave" propagation
Generally true during the day. AM ground wave is generally good to 500 mi or so.

At night, there is also a sky wave or skip (refracted from the ionosphere) which often gives distances of 2500 mi or so. However, there can be a dead zone--too far for the ground wave and too near for the sky wave. (A long distance skip is not always helpful--it can bring interference from a distant station on the same frequency.)

Long distance propagation is a strong function of frequency, so the above applies only to AM broadcast frequencies.

Doug

Last edited:
That was me.

I can deal (under protest) with Orsillo's monotone play-by-play at a campsite, but at a summit? That's where I draw the line. I had to speak up and take a stand, protecting my right to solitude and silence in the mountains...especially the wild & woolly Kinsmans, which sit...what is it?...about 3 miles from I-93? Ahh, the wilderness.

This is a timely thread, as I'm currently working with the Sierra Club to develop technology which will keep radio waves out of National Forests.

Jason

Of course, I'm sure that Giggy will quietly use headphones.