An Epic hike through King Ravine 11/10/07

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NH_Mtn_Hiker

Reaction score
The Plan
After several emails back and forth 7summits, Skimom, and myself decided we would hike up Adams, as opposed to Washington, from Lowe's Store. This was due, in part to the gals perception that Washington was too difficult, but mainly because the parking was cheaper.

Lowe's Path
We started up Lowe's Path just before 9:30am. The trail was nice and easy, though a bit muddy here and there. 7summits mentioned something about I should have brought gators. I thought, "what am I suppose to do, throw them in the mud and walk across them hoping they don't bite my leg off". I thing she's been watching too many movies. About 1.5 miles up the trail we encountered a large blowdown across the trail. After some time debating how to overcome this obstacle we decided to venture off trail and go around the right side of the tree. So with compass and map in hand we bravely bushwhacked around the tree. It was at this time I discovered my compass was malfunctioning. The needle seemed to be stuck, no matter which way I turned the compass the needle pointed in the same direction. Fortunately, Skimom spotted the trail off to our left saving us from being hopelessly lost. Note: This is a great example why you should never go off trail alone.

Too many Tourists
By the time we reached the first major trail junction we had encountered a half-dozen or so touristy looking hikers coming down the trail dressed in the latest synthetic fashions with their sleeping bags, pads, and ice axes strapped to their packs. I'll bet if they could have found stoves and kitchen sinks small enough they'd have brought them as well. Anyways, according to the map the King Ravine Trail crossed over to the Airline Trail and then it was only about .75 miles to the summit.

Topless
The King Ravine Trail started off fairly easy and much to our liking was clearly less traveled. After a mile or so the trail got steeper and the Skimom decided it was time to stop and delayer a bit. I was climbing a nearby rock to take some pics of our surroundings when I noticed Skimom attempting to remove her top shirt. However, she had both her top and bottom layers in her hands as she pulled the shirt over her head. She claimed it was an accident. All I can say is I'm glad there were no children around to see it. Fortunately though, my camera was there ...unfortunately David Metsky says I can't post the topless picture here. I guess Abster isn't the only female hiker that hikes topless.

Gossip
Along our journey we passed the time with numerous philosophical and scientific discussions including: Why dogs shouldn't be leashed while hiking, the link between trail running and E.D., and we debated whether or not Moses was traveling "Ultralight" when he led the Israelites across the Red Sea. We also discussed the positive and negative attributes of many of the other VFTT and ROT hikers we know including Dr. Wu and Doug Paul. Positive attributes seemed to be very limited in most cases. The discussions continued as we reached the Chemin des Dames Trail "Ladies Way". The topic of yet another discussion.

Despair
From the Junction with the Chemin des Dames Trail it was only .9 miles to the Airline Trail. Little did we realize it would be the most difficult .9 miles of trail we had ever hiked. Not only would we would be breaking trail from this point on, none of us had ever hiked this trail before. It only took us a couple hundred yards to lose the trail on the elevated section. After finally deciding to backtrack we discovered the Ice Cave Route which rejoins the King Ravine Trail just beyond the elevated section. We decided to give the Ice caves a try which would have been a lot of fun had we not been carrying winter packs. This short section of trail went something like this: Approach cave entrance, take pack off, shove pack down into cave, climb down into cave, shove pack out other side, try to climb out of cave, shove pack out further, climb out of cave, put pack on, walk 15 feet around a bend to next cave and repeat. By the time we reached the base of the headwall we were totally exhausted. Skimom decided it was appropriate to tell us of a woman who brought a newb co-worker into King Ravine only to be benighted with just one bivy sack. I also learned I was the only one of the three of us that had a bivy sack. Since I knew my bivy sack would only hold two people, who would use it and who would be left out in the cold? It was a difficult decision. One that would have been much easier if only HikerAmiga had been there.

Salvation
We spent hours climbing over and under boulders the size of Hummers or larger, and knocking snow off them to avoid the crevices between the rocks, some of which were eight feet or deeper. Finally we reached the Airline Trail. There was much rejoicing. It had taken nearly 6 1/2 hours to reach this point, half of which was just the last .9 miles. We had no intentions of summiting Adams at this point. We just wanted to go to a party! We considered going down the Airline Trail but settled on Gulfside to Thunderstorm Junction then down Lowe's Path. Lowe's Path was icy and I took a nice tumble down it (about a 9.6) and Skimom took a few smaller falls. Nothing that would stop us from getting to the party. 7summits seemed much steadier on her feet, probably due to her lower center of gravity. Upon reaching Lowe's Store 7summits and I dumped Skimom off then we went to a very exclusive private party. Skimom found her way there later.

Pics
Are here.

FWIW
Here, have some green circles. Distribute them wherever you like.
:D :D :D :D :D

Last edited:
That was definitely one of the most challenging hikes mostly due to the company I found myself with. But, yes, I'll concede that some of the difficulty was due to the snow conditions... not packed in yet, but not clear and dry either.

But, what's this about me finding my way to the party? I believe the truth is that I beat you and 7summits there by atleast an hour using my working compass. Where were you two, and more importantly, what were you doing for so long, anyway? Strange. Must have been following that jammed compass of yours around in circles before 7summits took over and found the way :D

NH_Mtn_Hiker said:
Gossip
We also discussed the positive and negative attributes of many of the other VFTT and ROT hikers we know including Dr. Wu and Doug Paul. Positive attributes seemed to be very limited in most cases.
2622611010064090481S600x600Q85.jpg

-Dr. Wu

It sucked that I was just in front of you guys and didn't know it. I had wanted to go up King Ravine myself, but I was already tired just getting to the base of the Ravine. That 8" of snow on the boulders made for some really difficult hiking - not enough to pack down, too much to find solid footing. I knew I couldn't handle another .9 of breaking trail, so I bailed on the Chamin des Dames. As it was, that was a really long .4! I also took that route since it was in the sun vs. the shade. The ice caves are cool... in the summer! Impressive hike.. I'm not sure how I would have done even with help breaking out the trail. I have a couple of photos.. mostly from Madison, tho.

That was one of the more entertaining TRs I've read in a while!!

I would guess the toughest part of your hike was watching yourself around those two man-eaters.

:D

You have done it, sir! Congratulations on taking the first known picture of 7summits not smiling. I would have thought you could capture one on the Bonds via Lincoln Slide Debacle but I was wrong. This is a testament to the epic nature of your climb on Saturday.

:) :)

Silly silly hikers. Great report, strenuous day, for sure.

-dave-

That was so funny I'm coming to the Whites, right now. I have a bivvy that sleeps two consenting adults.

That was one heck of a hike, like a pu pu platter of outdoor fun. We did some bushwhacking, rock climbing, bouldering, caving, skating and tree hugging all in one hike. Awesome.

Pictures

NH_Mtn_Hiker said:
Since I knew my bivy sack would only hold two people, who would use it and who would be left out in the cold?
D'uh, Skimon and I would be nicely tucked in while you'd be getting us coffee. decaf please, I need my beauty sleep.

NH_Mtn_Hiker said:
7summits seemed much steadier on her feet, probably due to her lower center of gravity.
Yea but I paid the price climbing though giant boulders.

David Metsky said:
the first known picture of 7summits not smiling
I was smiling :) but it was darn cold that my face muscles wouldn't budge.

skimom said:
Must have been following that jammed compass of yours around in circles
... and driving 35 MPH

Neil said:
That was so funny I'm coming to the Whites, right now. I have a bivvy that sleeps two consenting adults.
Perfect! I've been looking forward to seeing you again anyway!

-Dr. Wu

NH - nice one :) - busting up laughing at least 3 times reading that.

glad you swung by the pahhhty after.

knowing skimom well and 7summits pretty well now - I can imagine this being pretty damn funny day.

Dani - didn't I go down the chemin with you last winter? I recall it being a major suckfest then as well.

I took my pants off hiking washington. the dudes go bottomless now.

Due to the content of this thread... I think it deserves an "XX" rating.

Too funny (better all you than me)! I really don't know what's happening there in the Whites... it doesn't look anything like when we hiked it at the Gathering?? Dave??

skimom said:
...But, what's this about me finding my way to the party? I believe the truth is that I beat you and 7summits there by atleast an hour using my working compass. Where were you two, and more importantly, what were you doing for so long, anyway? Strange. Must have been following that jammed compass of yours around in circles before 7summits took over and found the way :D
Skimom,
I have no idea what you are talking about nor what you are attempting to imply! :rolleyes:

Dr. Wu002,
You can't fool us Dr. Wu, that picture is obviously not of you. That guy has way more positive attributes.

chomp said:
The ice caves are cool... in the summer!
Duh! That's because they have ice in them year round. :D

7summits said:
D'uh, Skimon and I would be nicely tucked in while you'd be getting us coffee. decaf please, I need my beauty sleep.
I knew that was coming. :rolleyes: ;)

7summits said:
... and driving 35 MPH
I believe the speed limit in downtown Gorham is 30! ...not 65! :p :D

NH_Mtn_Hiker - Very nice trip report.

giggy said:
Dani - didn't I go down the chemin with you last winter? I recall it being a major suckfest then as well.

Hey Giggy,

I thought the same thing at first, but it was me and Abster that was there that day after our King Ravine climb and Adams summit last Spring.

Jen

Nif said:
NH_Mtn_Hiker - Very nice trip report.

Hey Giggy,

I thought the same thing at first, but it was me and Abster that was there that day after our King Ravine climb and Adams summit last Spring.

Jen

oh yea - thats right - nif - when did you get on here???