Another big New England Storm?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marty

Reaction score
FROM WUNDERGROUND THIS AFTERNOON:

Potential for a major storm system to hit southern and western
Maine and all of New Hampshire Friday night and Saturday morning...

Low pressure will develop along the mid Atlantic coast Friday
and it appears as though this storm will intensify rapidly as it
moves northeast Friday night.

If current computer projections are correct this storm will
produce widespread heavy snow with most locations seeing at least
6 to 10 inches of accumulation... with as much as 10 to 15 inches of
snow at some locations.

There is still a lot of uncertainty with regard to the exact track
of this storm system. A change in the storm track slightly to the
east would result in colder air pushing in from Canada and less
overall snowfall. While a change in the storm track slightly to
the west would result in more rainfall and less snow.

Strong winds will accompany this storm with wind gusts of over
50 mph along the coast.

Some minor flooding and beach erosion may also occur along the
coast at times of high tide.

This may become a very large and dangerous storm so all interests
should monitor later statements for further information on this
storm. The track of the storm will be critical on how much impact
there is on the area and will be monitored closely.

Please stay tuned to NOAA Weather Radio... your local media... or
go to www.Weather.Gov/gray for further updates on this weather
situation.

Marty

Perfect... just in time for my final NH4K peak.

Luck of the Irish, my @$$! :rolleyes:

McRat said:
Perfect... just in time for my final NH4K peak.

Luck of the Irish, my @$$! :rolleyes:
Funny, I know just exactly how you feel. :rolleyes:

Except I'm not Irish. Still, what's a little snow? And I'll believe it when I see the weather happening.

Hard to believe since it was in the 60's today in Waterville Valley and it's raining right now. I sure hope you're right. I want a big dumping before March is over. Want to keep skiing.

Last ski trip of the year is to Sunday River for this weekend, so let it SNOW Friday night as much as possible!!!

Then next week summer can begin. :D

Guys common...why is it that people have 60 degrees and all of a sudden disregard that it can change quickly..we are in Northern New England. Hitting 60 and then having a snowstorm is not that uncommon for March. The fact is, all of the computer models are in aggrement and data is suggesting a major Nor'Easter. Even before the storm..if you dont believe the big storm Friday..We have rain with a different system changing to snow in Coos County then down to central NH during the day Thursday with 3-5 inches forecast up north. So things will be changing rapidly. This will end up being measured over a foot in the mountains...So we will make up for the snow we have lost over the last few days. :) -Mattl

The weather is really bizarre -Here in WV it started pouring ten minutes ago and is 46 degrees. there must be an inversion because Plymouth is in the thirty's. I'm looking forward to the foot of snow that is predicted for Friday night.

Reliable weather predictions here...

2387030080033455906Itfhfr_th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I'm kind of skeptical, but here is what the weather channel just released,

Low pressure will rapidly deepen Friday night and Saturday as it moves from the Carolinas to Maine, increasing the winds over the Northeast. The Philadelphia to New York City corridor will continue to see mixed precipitation ending Saturday morning. The heavy snow will mix with or change to sleet and freezing rain over much of New England and will even change to all rain along and just inland from the coast. As snow tapers off over northeast Pennsylvania, north Jersey and the Hudson Valley with accumulations around 12 inches, the heavy snow will continue over Vermont and western New Hampshire while gradually mixing with sleet and freezing rain over interior Maine and even changing to rain along coastal Maine. Vermont may be the big snow winner with between 1 and 2 feet. The precipitation will end over southern New England by Saturday evening and taper off over Maine by Sunday morning.

Could be another big one for VT!

Wish I could draw a map....

The latest guidance does suggest a slightly more western track with the storm, or an inside runner. So if you're a snow lover anywhere along the coastal areas of New England, and inland about 40-50 miles, sorry. This is especially true for southern New England (MA, CT, RI, southeastern NH, and south coastal maine.) You guys will get your burst of heavy wet snow for several hours, but it will most likely turn to rain and then it'll come down in buckets before you get dry slotted and it shuts off Saturday. I'd say places right along the coast from Boston south and east get 3 inches or less, while working inland 40 miles could get you much more, upwards of 6-10 before the changeover. Sleet could be a problem further inland as well....

Meanwhile, north of the mixing line, its gonna go gangbusters! With the latest track going a little further west, places like VT, NH and possibly western ME should do fairly well with this storm. Cold air is beginning to invade from upstairs ....as I write its 34 at Lost River with light snow and 23 on Mount Washington with snow. It would be kind of foolish to go all out and say 2 feet of snow with this storm where it stays all snow, so for now I'll say 12 inches plus. If I had a hunch, someone will get 24 inches if the temp is cold enough and the snow is fluffy (think mountains!) It will be very elevation dependant as with most March storms, as well as if heavy snow bands set up. Too many things to think about.....

Bottom line, its coming, get ready, stop whinning and enjoy it!

grouseking

I guess Isolation is not in my future this winter, there's no way I'm breaking trail a third time up there :(
Wishful thinking that this thing won't hit, but for you skiers I hope it does!
They were right two weeks ago and this past weekend, a third must be out of the question.

Isolation? Did you say Isolation??

focusonbalance said:
I guess Isolation is not in my future this winter, there's no way I'm breaking trail a third time up there :(
Wishful thinking that this thing won't hit, but for you skiers I hope it does!
They were right two weeks ago and this past weekend, a third must be out of the question.

Tom, Atticus, and I hope to get up Isolation before the Equinox, so the more packers the better. We also need lower temperatures to freeze up what is already on the ground.

How about Sunday? Or,Tuesday??