Best forecast for Lafayette?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeterM

Reaction score
My friend Sue & I hiked Old Bridle Trail yesterday morning up to the hut. My highest elevation, btw It was a great hike and good to see what the hut is like.
It was 30 degrees, relatively calm, foggy & spitting snow. We heeded warnings of 50-60mph at the summit, so passed on the last 1000'. Plus the hot bowl of soup in the hut really hit the spot. We'd like to set sights next year on a fine day to enjoy the ridge - any pointers from anyone? June / September maybe?

We also got in Cardigan Thurs ( downright nasty at summit ) and Potash today - a real reward both hiking -wise and views - pictures and memories.

Peter
Plymouth, MA

PeterM said:
We'd like to set sights next year on a fine day to enjoy the ridge - any pointers from anyone? June / September maybe?
Hi neighbor :D

You live within say 40 minutes of the trailhead, so there is no need to plan six to nine months ahead. NOAA forecasts are very good in the short term. On Wednesday (maybe Tuesday) of most weeks it is clear that the weekend weather will be:
  • Good
  • Tossup
  • Bad
Wait for a forecast of good weather and just do it! And don't exclude October with its foliage from your list of options.

Mohamed Ellozy said:
Hi neighbor :D

You live within say 40 minutes of the trailhead,
Huh? Peter is from Plymouth Massachusetts (home of the great edifice Manomet), not Plymouth New Hampshire. But still what, 2 - 3 hours? Just start earlier in the morning.

Papa Bear said:
Huh? Peter is from Plymouth Massachusetts...
Blame my aging eyes (or maybe my aging brain), PapaBear :D Along with my aging legs, lungs etc :eek:

But the basic point, check the weather mid-week before committing, still holds.

Last edited:
Check the forecast for Lincoln, NH on your favorite weather website, then adjust for altitude.

It also doesn't hurt to check the higher summits forecast, especially if you're planning to traverse the ridge.

So Maybe Mohamed drives really REALLY fast ..... :- )

well great advice; as an avid sea kayaker I know the good weather links but it didn't occur to me that Mt.Wash had advance predictions. Thats great - we'll just get up when we can, and hike the appropriate places as the weather allows

It seems the more I hike, the more I wanna come back & hike more. Its addicting! Putting a Wapack / Pack Monadnock trip together now, and return to the Whites end of the month.

Peter
Plymouth MASS!