Best post-hike restaurants, bars, pizzerias, ice cream, etc.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Moat Mountain beats em' all hands down! I am vegetarian and I swear even the burgers look good to me. :p Damn, now I have a craving for their nachos!!! :)

My favorites around the Whites:

Western White Mountains
#1 Common Man (Ashland)
#2 Mad River Tavern (near Waterville Valley)
#3 Woodstock Station
#4 Common Man (Lincoln)
#5 Bill & Bob's Roast Beef

Eastern White Mountains
#1 Flatbread (N. Conway)
#2 Moat Mtn Brewery (N. Conway)
#3 Cafe Noche (N. Conway)
#4 Horsefathers (N. Conway)
#5 Yankee Smokehouse (Ossipee)

Other OK restaurants:
~ Delaneys
~ Fabyan's
~ Sunny Day Diner
~ Gordi's
~ Red Fox
~ Red Parka

My son and I have a weakness for Fabyan's Crawford Natchos.

Pamola said:
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Common Man in Lincoln. The couch in front of the giant fireplace is an amazing place to have a brew, eat your free cheese and crackers, and enjoy their food. The bartender is a great guy, they don't mind stinky hikers/skiers, and it's so comfortable.

If anyone ever hikes Ludlow in VT, go to the Loft. Holy moly is their food good.
I'll second the Common Man. Especially in the winter!
I'll also second the Moat Mtn Brewery-Thai Chili that rocks!

Woodstock Inn
Truants Tavern

Common Man in Ashland
Gordy's Steakhouse-Lincoln

If hiking in the Franconia or Kanc area I like the Common Man in Lincoln. My personal favorite trail is Welch-Dickey after which I always love the brews and food at the William Tell.

If you can manage to get yourself cleaned up and dressed up after hiking, The Woodshed in Moultonborough is an excellent steakhouse.

I usually get lazy and go to the common man in ashland instead, though. They love smelly hikers :D

Surprise!

Pamola said:
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Common Man in Lincoln

The Common Man needs a warning label. I went in there after a three day trip, hoping for some common, hearty fare like meatloaf & mashed potatoes.

Portabello mushroom burgers?!?!? :eek: I didn't appreciate the irony. :rolleyes:

It is a good restaurant, but I was disappointed to find that it was a gore-met establishment.

Food Glorious Food!

I'll add some places outside of the Whites, both pre and post hike favorites:

If in the Gunks:
Main Street Bistro, New Paltz
Mexicali Blues, New Paltz : for the best damn burritos ever! Cash only.
The Gilded Otter Brewery, New Paltz.....Beer...good.

Catskills:
Bread Alone, Shokan: breakfast and late lunch/post hike sandwich to go.
The Armadillo, On the Roundout, Kingston, NY: great Tex Mex, Fish and Margaritas

Vermont:
Middlebury Bagels; Middlebury -- amazing breakfast sandwiches and good Joe
Up for Breakfast, Manchester -- the biggest and bestest post LT backpack breakfast
Pasche's, Rutland --creole
Doreen's Drive Inn, Wallingford. My vote for the BEST softserve and roadside food in all of the Green Mountain State :D

Daks:
The NoonMark Diner: turkey club and a five dollah shake.

Several good choices - that I vote for!

roadtripper said:
My favorites around the Whites:

Eastern White Mountains
#2 Moat Mtn Brewery (N. Conway)
#3 Cafe Noche (N. Conway)
#4 Horsefathers (N. Conway)

~ Fabyan's
~ Red Parka

I would definitely recommend Cafe Noche in Conway for Mex food - great and good Margs too!
The Horse is always good and they pour real Guinness and/or black&tans
Red Parka in Glenn is good tavern atmos with bell jar pints and entertainment on the walls
Truant's is good, Moat Mtn is great if your are a hungry man! (or woman)
Fabyan's is a good semi-class stop yet good for all.
Last but not least, and we stopped here when Mooseland could not handle many guests, Rosie Flamingo's in Bethlehem for GOOD Italian!
IMHO ... TrekMan :D

Barbarossa said:
The Common Man needs a warning label. I went in there after a three day trip, hoping for some common, hearty fare like meatloaf & mashed potatoes.

Portabello mushroom burgers?!?!? :eek: I didn't appreciate the irony. :rolleyes:

It is a good restaurant, but I was disappointed to find that it was a gore-met establishment.

Not all of it is. They actually do have a very good meatloaf and mashed potatoes on the menu. If you are ever hiking in the area on a Sunday they have a turkey and stuffing special including potatoes and vegtable for $12.99. Always good after a hike on a Kanc trail.

Last edited:
McNeils

McNeils Brewery in Brattleboro VT is, without contest, the best over-the-counter beer you can purchase in New England. Food? Who needs food. Go get a pizza across the street or something.

Another vote for G&H in Lincoln - never ordered pizza, but have subs many times after a big hike (usually Owls Head or a Bonds traverse).

In Vermont - if you're in Bristol - stop at Cubbers. Even if you're not in Bristol, make it a point to. Their subs are the best I've ever eaten. And there's a bakery a few doors down (not related) that has fantastic breads.

I suggest Lloyd's Hill in Bethlehem, which is right across the street from the Colonial Theatre. Bethlehem is a great little town.

I am a fan of the Woodstock Inn, but avoid it when it gets very busy.

I don't go to the Common Man because I feel under-dressed after hikes!

Blue said:
I don't go to the Common Man because I feel under-dressed after hikes!

Don't go to the restaurant, go to the bar upstairs, at least in Ashland. It's always full of dirty, sweaty, smelly hikers/skiers/climbers...

The Common Man gets another vote from me - C'mon - free cheese!! :D
We just skipped going into the restaurant and sat in the lounge area by the window and ate there - very cool place.

going down '93 - Ashland Common Man, I eat there more often than any post hiking place

down 16 - Moat Mountain

rt 2 - Mr. Pizza in Gorham, good - even though they messed up our order on Saturday!

I also like Truant's in Woodstock, Stinson Mountain Grill in Rumney is pretty good as well

A few good ones...

Eastern Whites:

- Woodstock Station in NoWoodstock -- my personal favorite... dauntingly extensive menu of decent to very good foods, and excellent microbrew beer. Try the Pigs' Ear Brown

- Mad River Tavern in Campton -- reasonable prices, good food, nice environs

- William Tell in Thornton -- Sunday brunch is a cut above, and runs till 3pm

- Coyote Grill in Waterville Valley -- you're going to need a shower (OK, a refreshing rinse in a mountain stream, and a clean shirt) unless you plan to sit at the bar, though. Adventurous (for the area) cuisine, good list of beers and wines

- Tilt'n Diner in Tilton -- you smell, you're in a hurry, but a booth, a brew, and some pretty good diner food is what you need to make the last 80 miles... this is your place

Mt Washington Valley:

- Moat Mountain Smokehouse in NoConway -- decent to good barbeque food, very good microbrew beer. You will not be out of place smelling like campfire here

- Delaney's Hole in the Wall in NoConway -- sounds more contrived than it is... good food (including excellent sushi... no, really), fresh Guinness pints

There's a GREAT ice cream place in Littleton headed towards Bethlehem, it begins with a B...... Bishop's....just looked it up. They have the best ice cream EVER!!!!! I know most people are headed in the other direction, but if you're ever up that way, stop in, you won't be dissapointed.

I second Jasons recommendation for Bishops ice cream. It is the best, get "Bishops Bash". It will replace all the calories you lost hiking and add a few more, isn't that why we hike?
WSC

tallguinness said:
McNeils Brewery in Brattleboro VT is, without contest, the best over-the-counter beer you can purchase in New England. Food? Who needs food. Go get a pizza across the street or something.

Just picked up one of thier ales tonite at the Rutland Co-op, looking forward to trying it soon (once I've worked up a sweat worthy of such a beer!).