Biggest "nature" let down?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianW

Reaction score
Many years ago while I was taking a grad. class the instructor was surprised that I never went to Walden Pond. She kept on mentioning it was an almost religious experience with nature there. And I needed to experience this place if i truely loved nature. So myself and one other from the class (another outdoorsey person) drove down to Concord for this experience.

Well......it was a complete let down. First the sound of traffic not far off, after awhile of tuning it out the rumble of a train from across the pond but that was not the worse. As we started our walk we felt like cattle as the trails had what i would describe as "barb-less wire" fence.

That was my biggest let down.

If you think it's bad in April, you should go there in summer.... just like a giant cesspool of bugs and people. That being said, if you venture into the woods nearby, it is still pretty cool... I make a pilgrimage yearly!!!

"simplify simplify"

Last edited:
The problem with Walden is hero worship. Always leads to a let down. Haven't been there, don't plan on it. Bushwhack anywhere, sit and enjoy, have a religious experience if you choose to have one. You can have that by the side of the highway if you are seeing clearly...

I went there several times this winter. It's possible to loop around the pond without going through the cattle chutes, or just wander up away from the pond further into the woods. Last time I was there I saw bluebirds, a beaver, and wood ducks, among others.

OK, so I also saw (and heard) the Boston & Maine, but it's been there a long time too. It's just a better survivor than the train lines whose beds we walk along in the WMNF.

I like working land.

Willoughby

As Doug Paul would say, "Yawn". We went there and were underwhelmed. We even went when it was 99% deserted. And we wandered around quite a few trails, but it's pretty tame. Climb just about any 4K, and you'll be more inspired, IMHO...

I guess my Thoreau moment (if I have one) will always be his seat on Monadnock.

I honestly don't think I've ever had a nature letdown. Whenever I find nature that is closer to civilization than I expected, I usually find myself being glad that those who are a part of that "civilization" have a place nearby to go to that allows them to experience the outdoors.

It's funny, for all of my outdoor experiences in wilderness and wild areas, I get pretty excited about visiting Central Park too.

Although this loop is nice,
Best saved for the " off - season "
Your more likely to see some nature then.
Otherwise, this is more of a history hike.

I can see why Thoreau chose this spot to make camp, after he was outcast from the center.
You can still visit Thoreau's cabin site and it's pretty cool but, far from a nature experience.
Last time I was there, it cost $5 to park.

Ok.. this might be a bit of a surprise to some folks but Walden Pond was Thee skinny dipping place when I was a young fellow...and I mean none to discreet about it either.... jumping off the trails naked as could be..
"....those were the days my friend I thought they would never end..."

I would say one of my biggest disappointments was the Allagash Wilderness Waterway.
All excited about doing a "wilderness" trip I was somewhat shocked to spend the 1st and 2nd nights to the sounds of people snoring. I was kicking myself for not bringing ear plugs and naively thinking that campsites would never be that close together.

The wilderness a narrow strip of trees...and the information boasting of 9 acres of old growth at one location...9 acres.... out of thousands upon thousands of logged out land.

Many people have fond memories of traveling the Allagash and I also have some nice memories of that trip...but for me it was awake up call that "wilderness is sometimes just a crumb tossed to us...

She kept on mentioning it was an almost religious experience

If that's because Everyone goes there on Sunday, then I'd agree...

Walden has been one of my favorite books for a long time. I needed to read it a second time, slooowly, in order to start to appreciate the absolute brilliance of thought and beauty in language contained therein. One can read only a paragraph or two and reflect for a long time...

That said, the one trip I made to Walden Pond was shortlived as there were no parking spaces left. That's not "nature" to me.

"Walden Pond" IMO (and I would argue in Thoreau's as well) is a state of mind and being. That said, even Thoreau didn't view it as "wilderness" He viewed it as "wildness," a place where he could buck societal rules and norms living only a mile from town. He had a very different experience in The Maine Woods where he encountered a much more challenging and true wilderness environment at the time.

IMO, one of the most brilliant books ever written (that I've read anyway). The pond? Tourist attraction.

As recent as 6 years ago I had friends who were still sneaking out to Walden on summer nights to skinny dip. It may require more authority-evading nowadays but I'll bet it still happens.

Side note - last spring's incredible rainfall (15+ inches) raised the pond several feet, covering the beaches and many of the trails. They were closed for quite a while. I'm not sure what has reopened since. Walden Pond is a kettle … it has no outlet. When it gets overfull, it only goes down by evaporation or through ground seepage.

I'm surprised nobody has listed any developed summits (like Mt. Washington) as a letdown. Perhaps not from a tourist drive/train/tram/gondola point of view, but from a hiking point of view it's kind of tough to spend all that time on the mountain then pop out into a parking lot filled with noise, people, and overly-exuberant stinkbugs.

Visited Walden Pond so long ago I can hardly remember my experience. I think it was positive at the time but I had limited hiking experience back then. I always seem to be in awe of "nature" regardless of where I find it.

What I have observed regarding "nature" is that a brief walk at Walden Pond for some would be the equivalent of doing a week of bushwacking in Baxter Stare Park for others. If it's not a mall, they could not handle it. I have shared with some folks intensely beautiful places and they seemed devoid of feeling or appreciation for them. We are so fortunate to have whatever genes we possess allowing us to thrive and even "worship" our mountains, woods, and valleys.

Found this while doing some Walden Pond research this am. Great find!
It's worth taking a minute to scan through and view some magnificent pics of Walden Pond, Acadia, etc.
http://www.artchartow.com/paintings/American_Landscape.htm

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Side note - last spring's incredible rainfall (15+ inches) raised the pond several feet, covering the beaches and many of the trails. They were closed for quite a while. I'm not sure what has reopened since. Walden Pond is a kettle … it has no outlet. When it gets overfull, it only goes down by evaporation or through ground seepage.
I was there last year at what must have been near the height of the flooding. Trails were closed, and we had to stay up high in the woods. I kept looking for the outflow of the pond, and eventually I convinced myself that it either did not have one, or it had a pipe somewhere that was hidden. Thanks for that little tidbit.

I'm surprised nobody has listed any developed summits (like Mt. Washington) as a letdown. Perhaps not from a tourist drive/train/tram/gondola point of view, but from a hiking point of view it's kind of tough to spend all that time on the mountain then pop out into a parking lot filled with noise, people, and overly-exuberant stinkbugs.

This thread quickly turned into a thread about Walden only. Mount Washington is quite the disappointment compared to other peaks, BUT I don't think anyone climbs it expecting it to be any less (or more) than it is. It's certainly more interesting than Cabot or Zealand for example.

If I had to pick my biggest nature let down it's that I don't see more moose while hiking. Almost all of them have been on the side of the road from my car. Only twice have I seen them on foot in the woods.

Tim

I was going to mention Mt. Washington, too. But, good point...just turn your back to the summit and all is well.

My biggest was actually when we were kids. Our first backpacking trip was to 13 Falls. We lugged packs in 8 miles expecting to see all kinds of huge waterfalls. That was most certainly not the case. We also heard great things about Black Pond. All we saw was a pond guarded by a billion mosquitos (I was a kid, and didn't appreciate the quietness of the spot at the time).

Unknown to us at that time was Franconia Falls, which back then was a deserted spot with a bunch of really cool pools and falls.

Gulf Hagas and Dead River Falls

I don't usually have a letdown but about 15 years ago I visited Gulf Hagas for the first time and because it was sold to me as a "Grand Canyon of the East" I expected more than what I saw.

On the opposite side of the spectrum, visiting the Dead River falls next to Flagstaff Lake in the spring during full flow feels like standing next to a mini Niagara falls. I was unexpectedly impressed.

Here's a second on the Allagash... what I recall was at the outlet of Chamberlain Lake (?) there's a section of river; you had to be off it by a certain time because they TURNED THE WATER OFF at night. That, and a short walk thru the woods will bring you to a road full of logging trucks.

That said, I think some of the most remarkable "wilderness" experiences can be found surprisingly close to civilization. Kinda like ol' Henry David - Walden wasn't "wilderness" even in his day.

amf